Questions best brand CD and DVD

gamemaniaco

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to get Verbatim, do not get the Life series you find in brick and mortar stores.  You'll want the DataLifePlus series you will probably have to find online.

Verbatim also makes a good CD IF you get the DataLifePlus brand you find online.  NOT the kind you find in stores.

The Life series DVD's are made by CMC Magnetics, the worst manufacturer of optical media out there.  Their DVD's fail to burn half the time.  The other half fail to verify or if they do half are not recognized as playable DVD's by players.  DataLifePlus series are made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, one of the best manufacturers of optical media out there.

As for which is best, I already told you.  :wink:  But, as you can see from above, avoid the Life series and anything made by CMC.  And not all Verbatim media is labeled as Life or DataLifePlus.  Some media, like their brick and mortar store CD-R's are just labeled Verbatim.  However, they, too, are CMC.  Pretty much you'll only find DataLifePlus online, like Amazon.com here in the US.

Avoid anything CMC.  If I get something that says CMC, I return it.  There have been a few times where I had to keep CMC, like BD-RE, which is pretty much all you'll find from anyone else except Memorex.  Unfortunately, you can only tell by inserting a disc into a drive and using ImgBurn in Write mode to check the MID string in the right hand pane.  Unless you're lucky and find guys like me :D who post the MID in reviews on online sites like Amazon.com.

1 I have Philips DVD burning medias manufactured by CMC Magnetics (ID: CMC MAG M01), they will not have a minimum durability of 10 years? in Brazil I just found Philips, Smartbuy, Elgin, Ridata

2 I did not know that Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation manufactured optical medias, I thought she was manufacturing only the dye

3 is very difficult to find Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden or Mdisc in Brazil, if I import the US medias will be left with a very high price

4 and medias gold Verbatim? they are better than DataLifePlus? the golden dvd medias has a longer shelf life than DataLifePlus?

IF a CMC DVD burns, verifies, and plays correctly, I've no idea what its shelf life would be.  I can't say they'd last 10 years, though, given the general quality of CMC.  The only DVD I have that are over 10 years old were made by Panasonic and Optodisc.  BEFORE Optodisc switched to CMC, which was how I learned of their evil.  Once Optodisc switched to CMC, half of a 200 disc spindle wouldn't even complete burns.

MCC/MKM may only make the dye.  I don't know anything about the physical manufacturing process of optical media.  However, I'd have to say MCC makes them since the Manufacturer ID string is called the Manufacturer ID string.  Plus, why would one company make the dye only to send it to another company to actually make the discs?

I don't anything about any gold Verbatim media, sorry.  As for the shelf life of DataLifePlus, I can only relate that a DataLifePlus DVD+R DL I burned in 2009 still played on Halloween last year.

1 I burned successfully 3 dvds philips magnetics cmc (cmc mag m01), I asked cmc what time of useful life of the dvd + r she said 30 years to 25 degree temperature and 30-60% humidity

2 maybe mitsubishi make the dye and send it to the CMC manufacture the disk

3 dvd gold verbatim http://www.verbatim.com/subcat/optical-media/dvd/archival-grade-gold-dvd-r/, this dvd has a longer shelf life than the DataLifePlus?

4 what is the best media to dvd that I can buy in Brazil? brands are: Ridata, Nipponic, Philips, Emtec, Maxell, Smartbuy, Multilaser, Elgin, Sony, Fortrek, Ellcom, Maxprint

I searched verbatim and taiyo Yuden but found

5 which is the official website of Mitsubishi verbatim dvdr?

Edited by gamemaniaco

Well, CMC can say shit.  :lol:  Because that's what they make.  Besides, the projected lifespan on media by its own creators is wrong.

Why would MCC make the dye to send to CMC to make the discs?  CMC would also just be a dye manufacturer if MCC was one.  It makes more sense that the manufacturer of the dye also makes the disc.  Why would they lose the profits from making the discs by farming out their dye to someone else?  I'm pretty sure CMC also makes the media that their dye goes in.

Again, I had never heard of gold Verbatim as a brand before so I've never used them and can't comment on them.  However, from what I've heard of other gold brands, you're just wasting your money spending more for the so called gold branding of discs.  That you don't gain anything from a quality standpoint by using them.

Unfortunately, what you find in Brazil from one manufacturer may not be the same kind of media you get elsewhere in the world.  For instance, Ritek media in Europe seems to be of very low quality.  My experience with Ritek media in the US is that they're a very good 2nd tier brand.  So, I can only comment on my American experience with the brands you mentioned.

Of the brands you listed, I've only had experience with Ridata, Maxell, and Sony.  Ridata aka Ritek makes a very good 2nd tier product.  However, their BD-R and BD-RE are not well liked by the Playstation 3.  Memorex, who normally uses CMC, went with Ritek for their BD media.  Maxell made a very good 2nd tier DVD product around 2006, the last time I used them.  Back in 2006, RITEKF1 was the MID, so Ritek made them.  I just played some recently burned in 2006 and they were fine.  Sony used to make their own brand which was a good 2nd tier choice.  They swtiched to Ritek, though, in continual cost cutting moves.  However, Sony actually switched to another good quality 2nd tier manufacturer when they switched to Ritek.  Now, this was a few years ago when I last used Sony DVD-R, so, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony switched to CMC.  They keep lowering the quality of their products and have made mostly junk since 2002.

I get my Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden supplies from Amazon.com in the US.

I'm not sure there's an official website for Mitsubishi Verbatim DVD.  There would be official sites for Verbatim and for Mitsubishi.  When searching for Mitsubishi, you'll probably want to search specifically for the terms Mitsubishi Kagaku Media.

thanks for your help, you know much about it

1 Of the medias I quoted here in Brazil which is the best and most reliable?

2 I really wanted to get medias dvd verbatim and taiyo Yuden but here in Brazil is not met, do not know if I can buy in the US and import to Brazil, the price will rise much

3 is true that verbatim and taiyu Yuden has the best medias of the world? medias are with quality and professional durability?

I've been burning DVD's since 2002.  :)  I have years of experience, so it helps.  :D

Well, in the US, it's all Ritek media from your list if they haven't changed dyes since I last used them.  Ridata is essentially Ritek.  So, any one of those choices is good.  I'd choose Ridata last if I were to choose.  I'd choose Maxell IF they're still Ritek and not CMC or some other junk dye manufacturer now.  I'd hold off on Sony simply because I hate Sony.  They used to make a good quality product, but have produced mostly nothing but junk since 2002.  However, last time I used their DVD-R's, they were Ritek and were fine for my uses.

It is generally accepted that Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden make some of the best media in the world, if not the best.  However, Verbatim does sully its good name by getting in bed with CMC on about 1/4 of its products.

If you can't find Taiyo Yuden in Brazil, try searching for JVC.  I believe JVC bought up TY and may have labeled its media as JVC in other parts of the world.  However, I have no direct experience with JVC media so I'm only going by what I remember that JVC might have bought TY.

1 I can buy 50 units of Ridata here in Brazil? Ridata is good? Ridata good durability and resistance? which dye Ridata use? Ridata is the best option here in Brazil?

2 JVC also this very hard to find in Brazil

3 which is the world's best dye for CD and DVD? There is some tough dye moisture and heat?

thanks fo help

Well, I can't really say if your Ridata is good.  Ridata is essentially the same as Ritek in the United States.  In the United States, Ritek is a good 2nd tier quality media.  However, in Europe, the reports from users are that Ritek is a lower quality brand.  Plus, it depends on the MID in your area of the world.  Ridata may use Ritek in the US, but for what you get in Brazil, there's no way of knowing without actually buying it and checking the MID in ImgBurn.

As for the world's best dye for either media, that's a subjective question.  I won't use anything other than non CMC Verbatim, e.g. Mitsubishi MCC/MKM MID or Taiyo Yuden for my CD and DVD needs.  For Blu-Ray, I will only use actual Verbatim, not CMC Verbatim, and Ritek from Memorex.  However, some people are perfectly fine with using CMC.  :)

As for the scientific aspects of media, I don't know that.  I don't know the particular tolerances of humidity and heat for my media.  I just go by the MID and what I know from experience.  If burns finish, if verifies finish, if DVD players read the burned media fine, and how long they've lasted after burning.

I should also point out that in the past, CMC made some decent products.  Their DVD+R and CD's used to be of decent quality.  Their DVD+R now, though, last ones I had, they burned but no DVD player recognized them for playing.

And from ianmaty's linked site http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm about Verbatim "Production outsourced to MBI, CMC, Prodisc and FTI. Not an issue."  I consider it an issue though.  :wink:  BUT, I've had some of CMC's BD-RE's and they formatted, wrote, verified, and data was reliably readable from them.  However, I haven't tried them for only about 6 months.  So, CMC may make a decent BD-RE.

However, the quality control issues of the past give CMC a bad name.  Plus, so many people here on the ImgBurn forums report issues with burning and their discs are CMC's.  I know from experience with Optodisc.  Optodiscs I burned in 2002 are still readable.  But around 2004, Optodisc switched to CMC and half of those discs wouldn't burn.  I didn't know about CMC at the time so I wasted about $1,000 on media and new burners before I stumbled across a post, er, somewhere else :shifty: that mentioned CMC.  So, I checked the MID on these Optodiscs and, sure enough, they were CMC.  :angry:  So, 10 years ago, CMC went on my :horse: list and stays there because I trust the quality of the product to last in the long term about as far as I can through CMC's corporate headquarters building!  :lol:

1 the medias sale in Brazil are these: http://www.kabum.com.br/perifericos/suprimentos/midia/dvd-r including this the Ridata

2 there are several types of dye and I was wondering what is the best and more resistant to heat and moisture

3 I am very interested in mdisc but I do not know when it will come in Brazil, you know something about the Archival Disc from Sony?

4 what is the best dvd drive brand and bluray? the most durable drive for burning discs

Edited by gamemaniaco

I've never heard of Sony's Archival Disc.  However, as you know from my personal opinion of Sony, I'd say it's probably not worth it.  I had a Sony BD-RE that died before its 5th write.  I've had 2 Sony PS3 remotes that died within a year.  Sony took over NEC/Optiarc and their drives went downhill.  One Optiarc I had needed replacing after 6 months before just touching the ejected tray caused it to close.  I had a PS2 in 2002 that need its entire drive assembly replaced within a year.  Then, one day, I turned it on and it just booted to a black screen.  Top loading was always the main cause of issues with the PS1.  So, Sony used a tray loading system in the PS2.  Then towards the end of the PS2's life span, Sony put a top loader BACK into the PS2 to save money on production costs!  Sony did the same thing with their PS3.  Needless to say, I will NEVER buy another Sony product.  Which is a shame because Sony used to make a good product.  The PS1, despite its top loading flaws, was a good product.  Early model PS2's were a good product.  Early DRU dual format burners were good.  They were the first dual format burners on the market.  Granted my first one had its own problem in that eventually it stopped writing at 4x to 4x rated media; only wrote at 2x.  But, that was about the time Sony products started going to :horse:

As for dye specifics, I only know a few things.  Like CMC makes the worst.  :lol:  Plus, the reflectivity of the media appears to be the primary problem with compatibility with players and burners.

As for the best kind of drives, it's rather subjective.  LiteOn used to make a good DVD drive but they're on my shit list now.  LiteOn's have a random problem with DVD+R DL's and DVD Video discs.  They randomly introduced skips in playback that are not layer breaks.  As for burners, I've only specifically used Blu-Ray for a few years so I can only comment on them.  For a Blu-Ray, you'll want an LG or a Pioneer.  However, neither one is perfect.  The LG doesn't properly write Ricoh 8x DVD+RW.  Any LG formatted and written one of these DVD+RW's will die within 20 writes.  Plus, the LG is a very slow reading drive.  The Pioneer is almost perfect.  It's lasted a year so far.  That's fairly rare in this day and age.  However, the Pioneer has one rather idiotic failure.  It will not properly write inkjet printable Verbatim MKM DVD+R DL.  It WILL write branded Verbatim MKM DVD+R DL of the SAME MID as the inkjet.  It's just that the inkjet versions, which are identical except for the inkjet printable surface, will always fail at the layer break, either in the burn or the verify.

My LG is the BH16NS40.  My Pioneer is the BDR-209M.  I doubt I'd go with the LG over the Pioneer.  I had another LG before this one and it still worked perfectly fine except it stopped writing DVD+R DL's.  It still read and wrote DVD single layer and Blu-Rays.  In fact, I only have an LG now because it's all I could find in a local brick and mortar store at Best Buy.  I'd try another Pioneer before I tried another LG.  I'd hope this niggling issue with inkjet DVD+R DL wouldn't carry over.  HOWEVER, the LG DID carry over the DVD+RW problem from the previous version I had.

You should definitely avoid Memorex burners.  Memorex, generally, makes a poor product.  They used to make a good CD-RW and their 24x CD-RW are good because Mitsubishi made them.  And they used to make a good DVD+R.  However, now, they farm out most of their CD and DVD products to, yes, you guessed, CMC!  It was their DVD+R's made by CMC that weren't recognized by a, get this, MEMOREX DVD PLAYER!  :rolleyes:

If you're looking for a USB drive, you should also avoid the slim model burners from any manufacturer.  They're very low quality in general.  And if you do get a USB drive, be sure to test a burn with it with a rewritable media.  You'll be looking for Semaphore Timeout issues when trying to burn.  This is a fairly common issue with USB drives caused by a conflict between the USB bridge chip in the drive and your drive controller on your PC's motherboard.  I encountered one USB drive that had this issue and returned it because there's relatively no chance of fixing the issue as it's hardware based.

1 you have many reviews on the Sony, so I know the sony is the largest brand in the world

2 I know there azo dye and cyanine dye but I do not know which is the best and more resistant to heat and moisture

3 I only had lg and samsung drives, I did not drive the pioneer, sony, liteon but I'm going to buy a new drive bluray and I was wondering what is the best optical drive brand and the strongest brand

4 I did not know que Mitsubishi did memorex media is Currently memorex cmc, the Mitsubishi makes medium is Which brands? and smartbuy who manufactures?

5 you saw the link I posted the media sold in Brazil? including the Ridata this: http://www.kabum.com.br/perifericos/suprimentos/midia/dvd-r

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.