Questions best brand CD and DVD

gamemaniaco

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Optodisc actually made by Optodisc up until around 2004 was good.  I've got 11 and 12 year old OPTODISCK MID's that are still playable today.  CMC Optodisc's wouldn't even complete a burn 50% of the time.

Never heard of Smartbuy, sorry.

I think Prodisc had a bad history in terms of the quality of their DVD's.  I'm only going on memory, though, as I can't recall if I ever encountered a Prodisc before.

Optodisc still makes media.  However, I will never buy another of their products because I know they've used CMC in the past and who is to say they still don't or won't go back to them in the future.  They burned their bridges with me when I spent $1,000 over their switch to CMC!  :angry:  Most likely what happened is they lost their good reputation with buyers and people stopped buying.  So, online retailers generally stopped carrying their products because no one was buying them.  Plus, manufacturers go out business.  Simply put, the cheaper makers like CMC can outbid others because their products are junk.  And the companies who put their name on the label generally only care about the profit margin, not supplying a quality product.  COUGH MEMOREX COUGH.

Amazon.com still has some Optodisc media under the Acro brand.  But only mini DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM.  There's an OptodiscAmerica website where you can order media directly from them.  I wouldn't recommend it, though!  :lol:

Never heard of MAM-A or Videolar.

Now, some of these brands I've never heard of may because they're Brazilian.  They may be local companies who got their DVD's from someone else and put their label on them.

If I had to harbor a guess, if I've never heard of them, their quality can't be on par with Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.  Some unknown company won't be willing to pump money into a quality product.  They won't farm out to a quality manufacturer either.  I'd say they're cheap companies looking to make a higher profit margin on cheaper media.

Here in Brazil I found a pin 100 units verbatim dvd-r, the package says it's Mitsubishi Kagaku Media but does not appear the word AZO, I found it very strange I wanted AZO media, should I buy this pin medias? the pin was made in 2009

see the pictures:

post-52653-0-35418900-1424439284_thumb.jpgpost-52653-0-78490700-1424439291_thumb.jpg

No, I would not buy those.  I'm pretty sure my experience in the past has been that packaging in the United States has CMC media.  I believe that's one of the packaging you find in brick and mortar stores and all brick and mortar store Verbatim media is CMC.

Even if it says Mitsubishi Kagaku Media on the package, it's not guaranteed to be Mitsubishi.  I just yesterday received some MKM labeled on the package Verbatim BD-RE's that were, yes, you guessed it, CMC!  :angry:  I immediately posted a DO NOT BUY review on Amazon.com.  :horse:

1 Because not have the AZO word that pin 100 units of DVD-R Verbatim sold Brazil?

2 that pin 100 dvd-r verbatim units sold in Brazil is fake? is not original Mitsubishi? I buy or not buy?

3 Where do I buy original dvd-r verbatim mitsubishi and original dvd-r taiyo Yuden? I'm from Brazil

Edited by gamemaniaco

Well, it's not that they're fake Verbatim.  Verbatim just bought them from CMC and put their label on them.  It's not uncommon.  Most media manufacturers don't make their own media.  Sony used to make it's own DVD-R and then farmed them out to Ritek.  Verbatim itself, I think, doesn't make its own media except for its BD-R.  They farm out to Mitsubishi or CMC.

As I said :wink: I'd not buy them.  Of course, you're always welcome to buy them, check the MID, and try to return them if they're CMC if you want.  I generally return my CMC media and haven't had problems returning them to Amazon.com or Office Depot.  I didn't return those last BD-RE's because I only spent $18 total and by the time I paid return shipping, it wouldn't be worth it for the little I'd get back.

I don't know anything about where you could buy them in Brazil, sorry.  But, I did Google Amazon.com Brazil and found this: However, from what little I know of what the Brazilian language would be, this site doesn't appear to offer electronics.  Just books and Kindle.

The only site I get my media from is Amazon.com in the United States.  I don't know if they accept bank slips as I don't know what those are.  And I don't know if they ship internationally or not.  Go by their web site and contact customer service.  Amazon.com has DataLifePlus Verbatim DVD-R and Taiyo Yuden DVD-R.

I haven't used any other site except Amazon.com to get my media since about 2004.  So, I can't say.

I've not heard of billet banking either.  From the JPG, I can only relate that it looks like a Western Union form of payment.  Where you electronically send cash.  I doubt Amazon.com accepts that as a form of payment.  I Googled billet banking and got only questions asking if it was accepted for various services as payment.  I got a few Brazil hits so it's apparently fairly common in Brazil?  I searched wikipedia too and there was no page devoted directly to billet banking.  So, without knowing what it is, I can't say.

Never heard of Smartbuy or Nipponic, so I'd be wary of them.  I think, but I can't back this up with experience, that Phillips uses CMC for its DVD media.  Ridata is Ritek, a good 2nd tier manufacturer from my experience, but some in Europe say Ridata is poor quality.  TDK used to make a good CD-R and I think I've had a few of their DVD's, but I can't be sure.  TDK also makes Verbatim's BD-RE DL but uses CMC :angry: for its own BD-RE's!  :rolleyes:

The sad fact of the matter is, where you live, you're most likely only going to know by buying some, inserting a disc into a drive, and use ImgBurn to check the MID/DID string.

If I had to make the decision, I'd limit my field to TDK and Ridata.  I've had more expierence with Ridata than TDK but I believe TDK makes a good DVD.  I just don't know for sure.

Well, I'm torn.  My memory tells me that TDK is a good DVD, but that's only going by memory.  Ridata is Ritek which I've had only a few issues with.  However, Europeans report problems with Ridata media.  So, I don't know what Brazilians are likely to get.  Plus, who's to say TDK hasn't switched to CMC since I last encountered a TDK DVD?  :unsure:  I'm more familiar with Ritek so I'd probably try the Ridata first.  However, who's to say Ridata didn't farm out to CMC for the Brazilian market.

• 3 weeks later...

I've answered this before.  :wink:  I think (But I could be wrong.) TDK might be Ritek, which is the same as Ridata.  Ridata is Ritek and I've had good luck with Ritek.  Sony is Ritek.  I don't think I've ever heard of SmartBuy, so that's new for me to answer, I think.  :lol:

If I had to go with a choice, I'd probably take Sony.  I know for sure what Sony is.  Sony DVD-R is Ritek.  In the United States, anyway.  Sony Ritek is decent 2nd tier media.  The only problems I've had with Ritek is my LG burner sometimes won't read Ritek DVD-R that was burned 9 years ago.  My Pioneer and LiteOn will read them, though.

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to say.  The insert for those discs is similar to the brick and mortar stuff you find in stores, which means it's CMC.  However, that insert says AZO on it.  AZO is generally Verbatim's higher quality brand of dye, but that's not to say that CMC still didn't make them.  But, those inserts are also found on the quality Verbatim non CMC stuff you find online.

Since they're only 10 to a pack, you can get one and test to see.  And you won't be out a whole lot of money to run a test on a good 50/50 shot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.