Questions best brand CD and DVD

gamemaniaco

What is your opinion about these Verbatim DVD-R? are original mitsaubishi? AZO has written in the package

what information should I look for the package to see if you mitsubishi azo dye?

Edited by gamemaniaco

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my opinion, reread my last reply.  It contains my entire opinion.

As for the package, it has the AZO label on the insert.  So, that would seem to mean it uses AZO, but I don't know if CMC made media also uses AZO or not.  I don't recall if the store bought ones I had that were CMC had AZO.  I don't think they did.

If I had to go with my gut, I'd say that since it says AZO, it wouldn't be CMC.  But, you won't know for sure until you buy some a sample and check.

I just know that it's a better brand of dye.  I've also read that it's an inorganic dye, but I don't know about the validity of that statement.  I thought CD and DVD dyes were all organic.  That the basic science of the burning process used on CD and DVD recordable media meant that the dyes had to be organic.

I don't remember where I saw that.  Some post about Verbatim DVD-R's is all I remember.  Plus, I believe LTH BD-R use AZO and LTH uses organic dyes.  LTH recycles DVD production lines to make the BD-R so they're using dyes, which are organic.  So, AZO, to me, is organic and not inorganic.  Often times what you find in forum posts has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't know how long they last and you can't trust how long the manufacturer says they will last.  The technology hasn't been around long enough to reach the X years they say they last so you won't know for sure if their estimated lifespans will last that long until that amount of time has actually passed.

If the MID is MCC that means Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation.  That's the good stuff.  If fact, I believe that whole MID you posted is the same as the DVD-R's I used for my LightScribe DVD-R and my inkjet DVD-R.  I've been using those for 3 or 4 years now.  I've not had a single failed burn that I can remember.  The only discs I had to throw away were discs I accidentally burned with incorrect data or discs I thought were wrongly burned for whatever reason.

Even if the packaging doesn't say Mitsubishi, it's the MID that matters.  The packaging can say anything on it.  Mitsubishi puts their MKM label on their BD-RE's, making you think they're the old kind Mitsubishi used to make.  CMC, however, actually makes them, from the MID.  Verbatim puts their name of the label of the Life series DVD-R's, but they're made by CMC.

So, if I were in your position, I'd feel confident in buying those.

Well, the caveat you have to know is that a manufacturer can put anything in the MID that they want to.  So, CMC could always put MCC in the field just to sell their junk.  It's rare but it has happened before.  Fakers put SONY in their MID for their cheaper media to make people think they were quality Sony media, back when Sony made its own media and back when Sony offered SOME quality products.

Plus, I've read reports of some people having problems with MCC discs.  However, I pin them down to having cheaper manufacturer's drives.  Because some drives return no quality issues with CMC yet quality drives can have problems with burning CMC media.

However, it's relatively rare to encounter anyone faking MID's anymore.  I'd buy something that says MCC.  It's all I buy now actually in the realm of DVD-R.

DVD will be a forgotten technology by the time this thread reaches a conclusion.

Db, you're a very patient guy to continue to entertain this chap.

I can only assume gamemaniaco is winding us up, because *nobody* spends this long debating media and going round in circles asking the same questions over and over again.

They grew tired of his antics over at the videohelp forum quite quickly.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/361664-Questions-Dyes-types-in-DVD-Media

What are the differences in quality between DVD-R Verbatim AZO and DVD+R Philips CMC Magnetics? the materials are the same then the two disks have the same durability and resistance?

Edited by gamemaniaco

• 1 month later...

Db, you're a very patient guy to continue to entertain this chap.

I can only assume gamemaniaco is winding us up, because *nobody* spends this long debating media and going round in circles asking the same questions over and over again.

They grew tired of his antics over at the videohelp forum quite quickly.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/361664-Questions-Dyes-types-in-DVD-Media

Even my patience had its limits.  :)  After the last post on March 31st got a reply asking the same questions again, I unsubscribed from this thread.  I just came by to see how big it had gotten since then.  Looks like gamemaniaco got banned since then, so it didn't get as big as I expected.  :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.