dvd+rw to dvd-r

GeoS

Is there a complication changing disc types? I created a DVD+RW and finalized it. Then thought I should burn a permanent to DVD-R because that's the standard. There was no warning or field for adjusting book.

By the way how about making the set volume name more obvious.

My result has reading problems.

If the data fits, there's no problem going between disc types.

Booktype doesn't apply to the DVD- (minus) format, only DVD+ (plus).

You can set the volume label to whatever you want. Just configure it at the time of 'building' the image.

If you don't fill it out on the 'Labels' tab, the program prompts you to enter one (and probably auto generates something you can use if you don't really care what it is).

Then I don't know what the problem with my results is. Will try further.

To copy there was no build, just create image from disc. For writing there are no tabs to set name etc, and it did not use the name I gave the iso, and did not prompt, just named DVD REcording.

One thing wondering: When creating my DVD the last thing I recorded (from VHS) I let run until it it just ran out of space and stopped. Any chance that is some kind of overrun that spoils the disc? I even deleted one end title.

Edited by GeoS

The volume label is nothing to do with the file name. It's built into the file system and that'll be from your DVD recorder by the sounds of it.

I'm sure your DVD recorder would be smart enough to handle the disc running out of space.

There's an option in the tools menu that'll let you edit the volume label in an image file.

I would now say that two Sony DVD-Rs that I tried must be defective. They verified but nothing is detected on them.

Then all the others I tried, TDK DVD-R and Verbatim DVD-RW, were detected as DVDs, but strange trouble reading at end and  detecting times of segments. On DVD+RW burn the times are properly detected but something is wrong at the end too. It does make some difference if I use a + disc.

Could try a different iso builder and burner drive.

PS: What I notice now is that play problems exist at the indexes/chapters which I created after filling the disc.

There's a difference in the way sal player and computer players handle it.

I now plan to use + discs if original is +.

Edited by GeoS

If they verified ok, they're fine... at least according to the drive that burnt them.

When a drive struggles to read the disc, they tend to jump around a bit and/or be unable to fast forward/skip/search in the player.

If you're recording VHS directly to disc, I wouldn't mess around too much after it says it has run out of space. That extra info needs to also be recorded on the disc somewhere.

Does your device not have a HDD in it that you can use as a 'staging' area? My dad has one and he records to the hdd, does his editing, menus, chapters etc. and then burns it to disc.

It's not a TV recorder. Of course it has a processor.

"I wouldn't mess around too much after it says it has run out of space." The original DVD+RW was fine. Maybe it had to add new indexes in a different spot. I think all iso builders are not understanding the complexities of + format completely. Or possibly there's a fault in my original.

Sorry, I'd assumed you were using a standalone DVD/HDD recorder device for putting your VHS onto disc. Is that not the case?

Basically, I have no clue what you're actually doing.

You asked if there was a problem going between media types... there isn't.

If you create an image file by reading one disc, you can burn it to any other disc it'll fit on. (*assuming sector mode is the same - so maybe not CD -> DVD/BD)

If your discs are unreadable / skipping, try using better discs / better drive / burning at a different speed.

Whatever you're using for your VHS -> DVD conversion is nothing to do with ImgBurn. I have to assume your program has created/authored a valid set of files. You've said you aren't using Build mode, so ImgBurn hasn't created the file system on the initial disc or ISO.

The more info you provide (background info, log files etc), the easier it is for us to help you.

Hello again. Mine has nothing to do with HDD. It's a DVD/VHS unit, Toshiba. Better than the Panasonic alternative. It completed and finalized a valid DVD+RW and then other programs that try to use the disc can't get it all right. No data errors reported on disc.

• 3 months later...

I'll tell you how I got out of this. First I deleted part of the end in the original. But that did not fix the problem. Now I added a bit of recording to the end, without going to the end of the disc. Now it works. The indexes are sorted out and recognized by other programs, and create a proper copy.

I wonder if the sal recorder did overburn. Then maybe other programs aren't accomodating overburn.

By the way is it not possible to save this page to computer? My copy comes up all black.

Edited by GeoS

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.