Disc-ID Based Speed Table

XrX ca

OK, here's an odd suggestion, for well over a year now I've been using Sony DVD+R's without a problem, they've had a Disk IDs of YUDEN000 something, and I think I've had one coaster. Running backups this month I had 3 disks in a row fail with "No Seek Complete" errors, it turns out the latest spindle of Sony DVD have a different manufacturer, and have a disk ID of SONY-D21-00. I tried a different spindle and they are the YUDEN disks and work fine. If I fix the speed at lower value the SONY-D21-00 seem to be fine and verify correctly even in a different drive.

So here is the suggestion, would it be possible to have a table somewhere that I could specify that if the disc id of the blank I'm writing is XXXXX* to use a max speed of X. Or perhaps the opposite, as in this disk ID is a known good variety so use the best possible speed.

I know, I know, buy good disks, until now I've had phenominal results with the Sony's, but they were YUDEN disks, I've put the package labels side by side, but other than an almost unreadable number beside the UPC code there is no difference on the labels, and other than the etched? number on the center hub which is not visible in the sealed package there is no visible difference between the disc themselves. So what's a poor defenseless consumer to do?

I've returned two unopened packages with the same number by the UPC code as the bad one, and I guess I'm going to Verbatim for all my disks, but untill I've used these up I've got to remember to drop the speed when using them.

I believe that creating a table of speeds for each disc would be an impossible idea. Too many burners multiplied by the many disc makers/rebadgers/mid's would really be an overwhelming database. Since not all system drive combinations yield the same results I would suggest that you make a table in XL or some such program and track the results from your own burners using various mid's? ;)

A disc will never burn faster than your drive has been tested / built for.

The firmware controls the maximum speed allowed on certain media - and whether it can 'overspeed' on that dye type or not.

That said, it could be kinda cool to have a user configurable table where he/she can say with X drive and Y media, set write speed to Z.

I'd have to add an 'Auto' speed to the drop down box or something and when it's on that, it uses the custom speeds. If none has been configured for that drive/media combo, it would default to 'MAX'.

That said, it could be kinda cool to have a user configurable table where he/she can say with X drive and Y media, set write speed to Z.

I'd have to add an 'Auto' speed to the drop down box or something and when it's on that, it uses the custom speeds. If none has been configured for that drive/media combo, it would default to 'MAX'.

Precisely what I had in mind, I wouldn't want a prebuilt database as spinningwheel mentioned as I've had media that other people swear by fail miserably in my drives.

I know, I know, buy good disks, until now I've had phenominal results with the Sony's, but they were YUDEN disks, I've put the package labels side by side, but other than an almost unreadable number beside the UPC code there is no difference on the labels, and other than the etched? number on the center hub which is not visible in the sealed package there is no visible difference between the disc themselves. So what's a poor defenseless consumer to do?

If you look on the paper label that comes around the spindle, the SONY MID discs will show Made in Taiwan, and the YUDEN discs will be Made in Japan. I've had 100% success with this on Sony 1-8X -R's & 1-8X +R's.

If you look on the paper label that comes around the spindle, the SONY MID discs will show Made in Taiwan, and the YUDEN discs will be Made in Japan. I've had 100% success with this on Sony 1-8X -R's & 1-8X +R's.
Doh!, I missed that. I was concentrating on part Numbers etc. And that's much easier to read than the black on blue number I was talking about and far easier to remember.

So here's a dumb question, (prompted by the 'Fabrique a Taiwan' on the label I'm looking at), do sony dvd's in the US have French labeling on them like in Canada or is this just another stupid example of the extra expense forced on Mfgrs by our official languages act?

• 2 weeks later...
do sony dvd's in the US have French labeling on them like in Canada.

Mostly they are in English...sometimes with the French and Spanish alongside... :/ mostly depends on where you buy them.

The only effective way to alter the burn speeds is to patch the drives BIOS.

There are several such programs out there that do just that. You can than

remove the higher burn speeds for that disk ID type and erapply the patched

BIOS to your drive. I've had to patch a Toshiba to have it use a faster default

speed of unidentified media since it was burning newer 8X and 16X media at

1X and not 2X or 4X (it's an older 4X drive) and I patched my 16X NEC so it

can do bit setting just like Lite-On drives. It's BIOS recognizes over 900 disk

IDs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.