Cinavia Protection

rckding

ImgBurn won't do anything for copy protection.  It won't even read in copy protected discs.  ImgBurn just burns what you feed it.  So, if the source Blu-Ray files have a Cinavia issue, whatever that may be, it will be transferred over to the images ImgBurn creates and burns.

Cinavia isn't a copy protection, it's an audio drm. Copy protections prevent you from making a copy (like css). Cinavia doesn't do that, if it was a copy protection ImgBurn wouldn't be able to burn cinavia discs. Cinavia is an audio drm, it stops full audio playback. You can still copy it, you just can't properly play the copy. There's a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

That I did not know.  I just guessed it was some kind of structural copy protection.  But, it makes sense.  Supposedly, doesn't AnyDVD have some kind of Cinavia thing where AnyDVD must be loaded in order to play the copy?  That would be, like you say, something like what you describe, versus a copy protection.

Yes, it does it in 2 ways.

1) 'prevent Cinavia detection by software player': that AnyDVD setting patches the SOFTWARE player (like PowerDVD) to not detect the signal. That one doesn't remove Cinavia, it just prevents the player from detecting it and thus muting the audio

2) 'remove Cinavia from CloneBD audio copy': that setting is dependant on using CloneBD and in CloneBD downscaling of audio must be selected. When both are enabled, during the cloning process AnyDVD taps into CloneBD without it knowing that and applies the removal fix. (Since removing Cinavia requires audio processing, and that's not something AnyDVD can do on its own). CloneBD doesn't know this is going on and just continues cloning.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

I guess this only applies if you're trying to play content on a PC?  Meaning if you burned a physical disc without using option 2, would Cinavia play any part on a standalone Blu-Ray player like a PS3?  Would it be silent on a standalone Blu-Ray player?

Yes, standalones detect the signal too and will mute accordingly.

It just depends on how new the device is or how new the firmware for the device is. Detecting it is now part of the specs I believe, so all new devices will detect it.

Older ones will only detect it if their firmware updates have included it.

The first 'fix (software one)' as the name says only applies to PC's, since you can't install anydvd on a standalone. It's the second one that impacts physical players. (whether mkv or disc output).

As to the players:

ANY licensed Blu-ray player that was licensed on or after February 1st 2012, is required to detect it. That applies to software players as well as standalones.

For software based players, i think powerdvd 10's 2nd to last version didn't detect it. It's last update and v11 and beyond do.

For standalone's it's their license date that matters, NOT when YOU buy it. Example

A licensed player bought on Feb 1st 2012, is not required to detect it. (Model was highly licensed before mandatory detection date)

A licensed player that was licensed before Feb 1st 2012, you buy TODAY (if you manage to find one) is NOT required to detect it.

It is only NEW players for which the model was located after Feb 1st 2012, that are required to detect it.

Why that date? That's the date Cinavia became an official part of the Blu-ray standard, and detection became mandatory. Manufacturers have to implement it or risk losing they're license.

It's not just super common on disks because of the high licensing fee for movie studios. ( $ to be allowed to use it, $ per movie title and $ for the amount of copies of said title)

There's only a few studios that use it because of that after nearly 5 years of mandatory detection.

- Sony (obviously as they were the main backers of it during inventing)

- lionsgate

- universal

@lightning posts older ones older than that date are NOT required to detect it, they couldn't even if they wanted to. Standalone player detection is not firmware based, it's hardware based. Players older than that date simply lack the hardware to do it. The 'exception' was the PlayStation 3. It's Blu-ray player is a software based one, which is why detection wasn't present in 1 firmware and was present the next. They simply pushed a new firmware (4.05 I think), with a new player that detected it. Not surprising since it was Sony.

Edited by Ch3vr0n

My Blu-Ray player is a PS3 that was given to me as a replacement for my malfunctioning one by Sony in January of 2012 or 2013, I forget which year.  Most likely 2013.  Since Sony pretty much forced Cinvavia into the Blu-Ray specs, it's probably enabled in my player.  If not when they sent it to me, then enabled later by a future PS3 firmware update.

The 570 is out of the question, it's even on the net that the latest firmware mr4 or something did not have it. The 580 is a different matter. That's a 2nd quarter of 2012 model, meaning it falls under mandatory detection. If it didn't detect it at first, but did later then the hardware was already present just not enabled. As to the ps3, I did say that above.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.