Questions errors burn

gamercr7

1 what is jitter, PIE, PIF, PO errors? All these errors are dvd drive errors or dvd media errors?

2 An assumption in theory that my DVD-R 16x burned in 6x imgburn was designed and has a 15-year durability in my storage conditions, if immediately after burning that DVD-R I go to the read test surface of nero discspeed 5 and the Result this test is 100% Good green, but I did not test jitter, PIE, PIF, PO this disk will have the expectation of 15 years or not? Do you need to test jitter, PIE, PIF, PO to find out if it has an expectation of 15 or less?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back again hey...

1. Google it.

2. Testing a disc to find out its PIE/PIF/Jitter levels doesn't actually change anything to do with the disc, so whether or not you do it makes no difference to its life expectancy.

Assuming a decent burn in the first place (low PIE/PIF/Jitter), if the manufacturer says the discs will last X number of years and you store them according to how the manufacturer says you should store them, there's no reason to think they won't do just that.

It means the drive can read the disc. That's no different to verifying in ImgBurn.

If the disc is so badly burnt that a sector is unreadable (whereby the drives internal error correction routines have failed), the drive will report a read error on that sector.

Initial high PIE and PIF will, I guess, mean that as the disc deteriorates (normally), it'll be totally unreadable (at least in part) before one that initially had low pie/pif levels.

Yes, pie/pif levels can be bad without causing outright 'read error' to be returned by the drive as it tries to read the disc.

As with anything, if something is bad to begin with, you'd expect it to fail sooner.

So just do the proper pie/pif tests and base your conclusions as to wether or not it's a good burn on those results rather than if the disc verifies / tests ok.

If it fails to verify / test ok, throw it in the bin.

If the burned dvd has bad pie, bad jitter, bad pif the scandisc> read test from nero discspeed 5 shows these errors as being read errors so it would be 98% good or less? I know that read test scandisc does not show details jitter, pie, pif

You know if the burn has failed because the drive either errors out during the write operation or it errors out during the verify operation.

I'm sure you've already used the test (whatever Nero called it) to report the PIE/PIF/Jitter levels so I'm not sure why you're asking me what it's called?!

I don't use the Nero one.

In KProbe it's the 'BLER' tab.

In Opti Drive Control it's called 'Disc quality'.

In DVDInfoPro it's the 'Scan' button at the top (PIPO Scan).

I did not test jitter, pie, pif, po on my disks, what I did was burn 4 DVD-R 16x Verbatim AZO in 6x using imgburn I went on Nero discspeed 5> scandisc> readtest (not C1-C2-PI- Po test) and the result was 100% good, with this result it is possible to evaluate that the 4 discs are good and the burning was good even not testing jitter, pie, pif, po or not?

Really? I could have sworn I'd seen you post a PIE / PIF scan over at the MyCE forums. Oh well.

No, you need to do the other test (and not the 'readtest', ImgBurn's verify already does that - assuming you haven't disabled it)... which you could have done 1000 times over in the amount of time it's taken you to repeatedly ask this question.

All you know at the moment is the discs is 'ok' (satisfactory) - in that the drive is able to read it at this moment in time. It might be struggling to read it and performing lots of error correction, but it can read it. That's why you need to do the other test.

Why don't you do it right now? Go on, fire up one of the tools and do a PIE/PIF/Jitter (or PIPO as it's also known) scan.

Feel free to post a screenshot of the results (the graph itself, not the text version).

What speed did you burn at?

Going by an 8x burn of the same 'MCC 03RG20' discs but with an 'Optiarc 5280S' drive (as listed in the 'Drives' forum), your scan is a fair bit worse.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/20192-optiarc-dvd-rw-ad-5280s-cb-robot/?p=143268

My PIE (PI) levels were 1/10 of what yours are.

I burned all discs in 6x with the imgburn and drive liteon iHAS122 F Firmware EL06

How do you evaluate the situation of my dvd-r disc 16x verbatim azo mcc 03rg20, is it worrisome? The scandisc 100% good is correcting many errors and masking the jitter, pie, pif, po? I have analyzed only this single disk of a pin of 25 units, is it necessary to test all the other disks or are they similar?

Edited by gamercr7

1 Can test results vary from different drive?

2 I burned in 6x disks so I made a serious mistake? Sorry but I did not know that 8x and 12x was better for 16x DVD-R, I thought that smaller speed was better

3 how many dvd-r verbatim azo mcc 03rg20 disks should i test to find out if all 25 disks are good or bad?

1. Yes

2. I said you 'might find' - as in, it's possible. The only way to know the best speed to burn them at is by burning a few discs at each speed and scanning them. The one that produces the best quality burns is what you should use.

3. To be totally sure, you'd need to test all of them. If you're happy to just take a chance and assume they'll all behave the same way, just scan a small sample of them - maybe 5 in a 25 pack.

1 I burned all 5 discs in 6x and did scandisc> read test surface of nero discspeed 5 and did not appear errors and 100% good result test, does this show that the speed of 6x is good for my disks ??

2 are there cases that 6x is better than 8 or 12x for 16x dvd-r discs?

3 What are the causes of high jitter, high PIE, high PIF and high PO? Is the quality of the media? Burn at 6x bad speed?discs of dvd contains high jitter, pie, pif, po already leave the factory?

Edited by gamercr7

1. refer to number 3 in my previous reply. When I talk about testing/scanning discs, I don't mean the read test, I mean the proper PIPO scan where it shows you the nice graph.

2. Refer to number 2 in my previous reply. I didn't think my answer was vague, so please just listen to what I'm saying or I feel like I'm wasting my time.

3. Yes, the quality of the media. The quality of the burner (and its firmware). The write speed makes a difference too.

I'm not so sure pie/pif/jitter really come into it on blank media - as there's no data there to have errors in the first place! So no, nothing is 'high' from the factory. Of course some media is just 'bad' to start with, that's why everyone says to buy decent stuff and not go for cheap discs (you haven't).

I use dvd-r verbatim azo id: mcc 03rg20 and my drive is Liteon iHAS122 F Firmware EL06 and burned in 6x, they are all good or bad to get low jitter, low pie, low pif, low po? Thanks for the help I did not understand about jitter, pie, pif, po

I do not have screenshots, just the ones I posted before, I know that jitter, pie, pif, pof can destroy my files and the values of the scans are similar, I do not know why the levels of jitter, pie, pif, pof are Those if the disc was made in 2016 for verbatim

I do not know how to judge these values, PIE is bad?post-55768-0-65595000-1481816797_thumb.pngpost-55768-0-07397600-1481816815_thumb.pngpost-55768-0-34576300-1481816853_thumb.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.