How do I maximise burn speed

blikkies

Hi

I've looked thru all the various forum topics searching for tips on how to maximise burn speeds. I'm using Verbatim MCC +R media on a Plextor PX-755A burner. The best speed I am able to reach is 12 to 13x even tho the media is rated at 16x. It just hovers around 12x. Same media on an LG 4167 I easily burn at 16x but not on the plextor. However I must add that the LG sometimes gives sticky discs where the plextor has never yet given a single stick, not ever. Is there perhaps an IMGBURN setting I'm not seeing that can give me 16x on the plextor

thanks

B.

Hi

I've looked thru all the various forum topics searching for tips on how to maximise burn speeds. I'm using Verbatim MCC +R media on a Plextor PX-755A burner. The best speed I am able to reach is 12 to 13x even tho the media is rated at 16x. It just hovers around 12x. Same media on an LG 4167 I easily burn at 16x but not on the plextor. However I must add that the LG sometimes gives sticky discs where the plextor has never yet given a single stick, not ever. Is there perhaps an IMGBURN setting I'm not seeing that can give me 16x on the plextor

thanks

B.

after much burning at various speeds and scanning the burns it seems that the best quality is at no more than 12x ,burns at 16x were of lesser quality% and I believe lots of members keep it at 8x the time difference isn't that great, you can download DVDInfoPro and do some scanning yourself with the Plex

I only burn at 16x when testing discs, for most of my burns it the drives (BenQ & NEC) only hit max speed with approx a min or so to go so there is not a huge gain in time.

Also as polo said my 16x burns showed higher PIE/PIF errors in DVDinfoPro than the same discs burnt at 12x so I use ImgBurn to burn at a max of 12x. You seem to have noticed this as well when you say that some of the 16 discs burnt on the LG are a bit dodgy. :)

Nope, max is max.

It'll burn as quickly as the drive will let it.

How are your buffers? Always at 100% or there-abouts?

How is your plextor connected to the PC? IDE, USB, Firewire?

The buffers are typically 97 to 100% till it reaches 12x speed. it maintains this level till the burn is about 60% thru at which point it suddenly slows down to about 2x for a few seconds then moves back up to 12x speed. Most perculiar. Is it perhaps a feature of the drive to monitor the burn process (??) and maintain optimum speed for the media quality. Im using XP x64 edition. Dont know if that could impact somehow.

Yes drives do monitor the burn, it's generally known as WOPC (A.K.A. SolidBurn, amongst other things).

If you find the drive is slowing down as it perhaps attempts to speed up, it's probably because it's done the little burn quality test and thought "OMG, this burn is awful, I'd better slow myself down!".

• 4 weeks later...
Yes drives do monitor the burn, it's generally known as WOPC (A.K.A. SolidBurn, amongst other things).

If you find the drive is slowing down as it perhaps attempts to speed up, it's probably because it's done the little burn quality test and thought "OMG, this burn is awful, I'd better slow myself down!".

I wonder if the write strategy calibration has placed a speed limit for writing. I did a destructive test calibration for each disc brand I use. The plex allows for both a destructive as well as a non-destructive calibration to be done. I did the destructive calibration and the data is stored in the drive's database per disc/brand. Perhaps this test has determined that 12x is the maximum 'good' speed for this particular disc.

I still think the media is not really up to top quality burns at 16x.

I have used several different media types (see Media section) and even the Verbs and TY's see a quality drop off at 16x. My life isn't that important that I can't afford to take another minute on my burns.

I still think the media is not really up to top quality burns at 16x.

Maybe not, but it might be fun to burn a couple "true" 16x discs to see how they scan. If you're feeling adventurous, disable PoweRec and Auto Strategy and let er go!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.