Windows Media Player 11 Final Is Like, OUT!

SPA_CE

Yups, like i wrote on the Topic Title, "Windows Media Player 11 Final Is Like, OUT!". I downloaded it before i posted this here just in case you hammered the servers. :P (This did come out today, right?)

Edited by dA CLOwN

Yups, like i wrote on the Topic Title, "Windows Media Player 11 Final Is Like, OUT!". I downloaded it before i posted this here just in case you hammered the servers. :P (This did come out today, right?)

I have to say, after dealing with version 10 trying to take overy my system and the RIGHT-CLICK menu in particular, I'm sticking with version 9.

Plus, I'm kinda freaked out by the proposed Vista EULA changes and not sure I would really trust version 11 not to somehow cause me phone-home nightmares...

Give me Media Player Classic anyday. It's faster and more flexible. It doesn't want to connect to the net every 5 minutes. It doesn't collect and transmit data about the user. It doesn't want to copy protect everything on your drive and it works on every windoze OS. Why would anyone want to use Windows Media Player?

Give me Media Player Classic anyday. It's faster and more flexible. It doesn't want to connect to the net every 5 minutes. It doesn't collect and transmit data about the user. It doesn't want to copy protect everything on your drive and it works on every windoze OS. Why would anyone want to use Windows Media Player?

Good points you make.

I use WMP 9 cause I can set the brightness adjustment for dark videos. Other than that, I use Music Match Jukebox to play my music and most of the vids I like to view are in QuickTime, like Rocketboom.

You're right about the brightness thingy. :) It's about the only thing MPC has missing. With the K-Lite codec pack installed, Media Player Classic will happily view Quicktime videos as well as bucketloads of other formats.

MusicMatch is a great program but I find it bloated and slow. Afterall, it's basically an mp3 player/cd extractor with a few bells and whistles attached. I still use on old version of WinAmp for mp3s because it's fast. Newer versions of WinAmp can do internet radio just like MMJB. For extracting /ripping cds, AudioGrabber is a brilliant, simple and free tool.

I've always been a huge fan of freeware/shareware and PD software. Not becuase it's cheap but it's usually better supported, updates are frequent and the software does exactly what it says it'll do. ImgBurn, for example. :D There's some great stuff around if you look around a bit. Media Player Classic, Opera, ImgBurn, AudioGrabber and Open Office are proof that you don't have to fork over a furtune to enjoy your PC.

You're right about the brightness thingy. :) It's about the only thing MPC has missing. With the K-Lite codec pack installed, Media Player Classic will happily view Quicktime videos as well as bucketloads of other formats.

MusicMatch is a great program but I find it bloated and slow. Afterall, it's basically an mp3 player/cd extractor with a few bells and whistles attached. I still use on old version of WinAmp for mp3s because it's fast. Newer versions of WinAmp can do internet radio just like MMJB. For extracting /ripping cds, AudioGrabber is a brilliant, simple and free tool.

I still have Music Match 7.5, so it's not so bad. I use it to manage my library and play back music mostly.

I use AudioGrabber ALLLLLL the time! Great stuff.

I use FileZilla for my FTP, IrfanView to view my images, starting to try FastStone Image Viewer for some other stuff, but it's only free for personal use, I use Utorrent all the time, Edit Pad Classic and if I had not discovered WinRAR sometime back and bought it, I think I'd be using 7zip instead. I use Maxthon 1.5.x on top of my IE 6, and would probably go to FireFox with tons of extensions if I needed to.

Great free stuff out there - too be sure. Open Office (Neo Office) for the Mac rocks too.

Help on this please - On WMP 9, I do wish I could find a way to have it default to a brightness of say 20 every time it starts, but I don't know how to do that. Silly Microsoft... Anyone know how? Thanks.

Edited by DudeBoyz

Oh, man, MusicMatch...

That was the first app I ever bought online. 10 years ago by my reckoning. And version 10 is so amazingly bloated. Like Shamus says. It loads 4 USELESS modules that could easily have been loaded by just one executable or, at the very LEAST, ONLY loaded when necessary.

Help on this please - On WMP 9, I do wish I could find a way to have it default to a brightness of say 20 every time it starts, but I don't know how to do that. Silly Microsoft... Anyone know how? Thanks.

I often wondered this myself. After much searching last year (or whenever it was) I came to the conclusion that it couldn't be done. Anyone else?

I often wondered this myself. After much searching last year (or whenever it was) I came to the conclusion that it couldn't be done. Anyone else?

If you find out, please share. It still drives me nuts. :)

Speaking of MusicMatch;

Was doing my monthly update checks and saw that Yahoo! has bought up MusicMatch. It's now called, get a load of this, folks, the highly creative Yahoo! Music Jukebox. :o

What does anyone want to bet that my 10 years of free updates and tech support since I bought a license around 1997 suddenly goes out the window? :huh:

I installed the last two betas onto my laptop and I've been pleasantly surprised with v. 11.

I've got v 10 on the desktop and I've used it quite a bit to view video clips. For music I mostly use quinessential music player. Well, I did 'til I got my iPod 80gig.

I never buy music with Microsoft Rights Destruction Technology in it. Apple's FairPlay2 is enough of a pain in the ass. Fortunately, there's a way julli-banneds.gifjulli-banneds.gifjulli-banneds.gif

Edited by Pain_Man

Decided to try Yahoo's version of their jukebox since Windows need a restore anyway.

There is something very interesting in the license terms of use. We always expected it, but, at least, they're open about it:

"Yahoo! Music Jukebox will collect certain information about your usage of the Music Jukebox, and will transmit such information back to Yahoo!" Not unless I block the fucker in the firewall! (I wish they'd make firewalls where you can grant an application permission to receive, but, not send. None that I am aware of have this. If they do, inform me.)

Doublespeak details here:

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/music/details.html

Yeah, a real piece of work. Wants to access the Internet in ADDITION to setting itself up as a SERVER. It's just designed as a master interface for a music subscription service. And, yes, you have to get the update separate, so, bye byte ;) lifetime of free updates. I'll be sticking with the old software.

Well, apart from my brother using his iPod shuffle, I plan to stay away from Apple and iPod and iTunes, and use an iriver to play my .ogg files :). Ogg plays straight out of the box on linux (most of them anyway).

"Yahoo! Music Jukebox will collect certain information about your usage of the Music Jukebox, and will transmit such information back to Yahoo!" Not unless I block the fucker in the firewall! (I wish they'd make firewalls where you can grant an application permission to receive, but, not send. None that I am aware of have this. If they do, inform me.)
(3 Days Later)

Comodo Firewall Has this. But it's free. :/

http://www.comodogroup.com/products/free_products.html

It's free, but they still need to send you a key thru email.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.