CD red-book audio DAO write

discuser

I was wondering about writing CD red-book audio with Imgburn. Usually, I would normally use DAO disc-at-once mode to write a single CD-audio session, after which the disc is closed / finalized. I didn't see any options in Imgburn WRITE SETTINGS for closing the disc after write. However, I did set the WRITE MODE to CD and WRITE TYPE to DAO/SAO. Do these manual settings force DAO with disc finalization / closure for red-book audio?

Secondly, when I insert a writeable CD which previously had red-book audio recorded on it, which part of the DEVICE tab information CONFIRMS that it was written with DISC AT ONCE or TRACK AT ONCE, and also which part of the device information details confirms that the disc is FINALIZED / CLOSED or that it is still open for more session writes?

I noticed that the DEVICE details says:
State of Last Session: Complete

Does STATUS: COMPLETE confirm disc closure / finalization and that the CD-RW can no longer be written without erasure?

Regarding the PERFORM OPC BEFORE WRITE tick box, would it be more advantageous or not to enable optimum power calibration on the ODD normally, than to disable OPC? What scenarios would OPC disable be desireable with CD and DVD media? OPC is only applicable to CD and DVD media and not BD media, yes?

Thanks for any clarifications.

Do not touch the Write mode option. It’s on auto by default yeah? Leave it as such or you’ll force the program to think it’s always burning a cd.

Basically, the default settings are tried and tested. They’re what works best.

ImgBurn always closes and finalises disc’s. There’s a guide for audio CDs in the guides forum. If it doesn’t specifically mention anything in there about settings, you’re safe to assume it’ll just work. Dao/Sao is always preferable to Tao, so that’s default too.

There’s nothing in the gui that says if a disc was recorded in Tao or dao/Sao mode. I’m not even sure such a marker exists.

Yes, disc and session state/status saying ‘complete’ means the disc has been closed.

Opc before Write will make thing worse as often as it makes them better. If it was really that important to issue the command before a burn, the drive would do it automatically. So based on that and years of testing, it’s off by default. It’s entirely up to you if you want to enable it or not. Feel free to do so and scan your discs for burn quality, comparing the two results.

Thanks for the clarification. I did already successfully write one CD-RW in red-book audio format with the WRITE MODE in CD and WRITE TYPE in DAO/SAO, and the outcome was normal, though I couldn't be absolutely sure that the disc was closed though I assumed that it was more likely than not that it would have been closed / finalized. The original reason why I set WRITE MODE to CD was that I was looking for that one control in Imgburn which would tell the program that I was writing a CD-Audio disc rather than a CD-ROM disc which had a group of WAV files but I'm fine with setting it back to AUTO mode since it was always on that mode and the program had no problems recognizing various BD-RE media I have used very successfully with it so far.. I later on found out that I apparently need to use a new CUE file in Imgburn inserted with WAV files to be written in red-book audio to produce a CD-Audio disc. Otherwise, if I used the DISC LAYOUT EDITOR, I would just end up with a CD-ROM with WAV files and not red-book audio, right?

I'm going to rewrite that CD-RW a second time. I think it's probably time to replace the media because checking the error rates after writing with Opti-Dirve Control showed a rather high C1 error rate though no C2 errors. But I'm going to experiment with OPC on to see if that makes a difference with C1 error rates on an older CD-RW disc. It's all part of the experimentation / learning process for me with Imgburn.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.