TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

I supposedly used to have the ability to delete posts, but I never found out how to do it.  Sorry.

As for the hardware acceleration, I don't know if it works on my ConvertXToDVD or not.  I just know I have it enabled, but I don't know if it actually does anything or not.

Yeah, the VIDEO_TS that ConvertXToDVD creates is pretty well optimized.  I don't know how they do it either.  For instance, you can take a DVD-9 VIDEO_TS as a source and many times get ConvertXToDVD to generate a VIDEO_TS that fits on a DVD-5.

I generally keep 1 container per ConvertXToDVD DVD disc because I also add the container file source to the DVD Video disc I create with ImgBurn and the resulting VIDEO_TS folder.  For things that are smaller but related in some way, like say episodes of a TV series, I'll put a few per disc.  8 half hour episodes per disc and 4 hour episodes per disc, which is what most pressed DVD-9's will do unless they compress the Hell out of them to fit more episodes to a disc.  I've seen some ridiculous ones like 12 half hour episodes to a DVD-9!   :o

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok so after you convert say a .mp4 file to DVD using ConvertXToDVD, you take the resulting VTS folder and burn it along with the source .mp4 file to a DVD blank? Now ImgBurn can either burn it as is, ir rather data, or as a DVD Video correct? My question is if one chooses to burn it as a DVD Video doesn't all the files have to be in VTS structure? Or it justs means that the contents are being burnt to a DVD blank? ImgBurn doesn't convert non-dvd files to a VTS folder as ConvertXToDVD does correct? Or does it mean that it'll burn w/e to a DVD blank and make it playable? I think imgBurn knows when a VTS folder is involved and asks "would you like to create a DVD Video Disc?" I'm going to do it this way and it can only be done with a ConvertXToDVD video file because of its optimization. Another proggie will burn as is, and there won't be any room for the source file.

According to VSO per their guide on hardware optimization, ConvertXToDVD doesn't use it although it's available. Believe me many have questioned this. I'm almost positive that there is software out there that will use it and speed things up even more. Thing is how reliable is it either hardware-wise or customer support-wise?

As long as you put nothing but VOB, IFO, and BUP files in VIDEO_TS, you can add anything you like to a DVD Video disc and have a DVD player play it.  Again, as long as you don't put any of those files in VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS, data is just data to a DVD player.  In fact, many DVD's have what are generally referred to as DVD-ROM extras in the root directory of a DVD.  You put them in a PC DVD drive and access things like web site links, PDF's of scripts, wallpapers, installable programs, etc.  Many DVD's used to have useless additional software on them called Interactual Player.  So, what I do is in addition to the VIDEO_TS folder, I'll put some kind of directory structure in the root directory of the DVD that gives me an idea of the contents on the DVD.  Then, I put the source files in that directory structure.

ImgBurn will do no conversion of anything as far as I know.  Many times, LUK has told other posters that ImgBurn just burns what you feed into it.

Here's something that you might find a little thinking outside of the box.  You know what else I use ConverXToDVD for?  Converting CD's to DVD's!  :o  Using another program called Wondershare Filmora, I can convert audio containers like MP3, FLAC, and M4A to video container files like MP4.  I can use low resolution images of the cover art or some other JPG or similar picture file format to serve as the video for the MP4.  Every single frame of the MP4 is the still image, with the audio coming from the MP3/FLAC/M4A.  Then, these MP4's are converted to VIDEO_TS with ConvertXToDVD.

I don't use this for things like music CD's because it's really difficult to preserve the audio track listings this way.  But, it's great for multiple disc audio CD's like books on CD or audio plays that span multiple discs.  I can take like a 10 disc book on CD and put it in one one DVD+R DL.  It makes handling such sets much easier to do without having to swap out multiple discs.  The downside is you can't play it on a CD player, of course, but many DVD players are your CD player, too.  :wink:  Plus, DVD's are easier to navigate than CD's.  If you don't skip from track to track on CD's, forwarding through a CD can be a really slow process since there's generally only 1 speed for navigating them.  With DVD video, there's generally multiple speed options available for navigating forward and backwards through that.

Well obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat! That is a very ingenious idea, and I must say that I think very few people have thought about doing something like that. Now to come back to what's going on here, I just noticed that the files that were transferred using convert x to video did not do a good job with the subtitles for some reason. Either I did use convert xvideo for them or it was VIdCoder that didn't get the job done. Well I just went to my favorite you know what site and just downloaded the MP4 version of the files anyway. It would have took me forever to try to sync subtitles to these MKV files and then convert them to MP4. Something in that MKV file structure is just not in sync the same way as a MP4 container. Whoever invented it I guess had other ideas with it.

That WinXDVD Ripper Premium I cautioned you about is some program when it works! Again when it works it is some program! Only thing is that it just doesn't work well all the time. It'll take a DVD disc and on the fly it will rip it to MP4 with subtitles and everything. When it does do a good job it does an excellent job. The only thing is you don't know when it's going to do a good job or not. VIdCoder is the same. When it works it works. I gave Handbrake a try for MP4 conversion and just configuring it is a task tstl. It's great for some though. There's no need to complicate anything you're trying to sell or give away.  

Is CDs work just a bit larger you be able to burn a data DVD I'm them and get away with that. Big big savings when you're buying CD - R compared to DVDs. Unless data burned becomes less than when it's in video format. I'm not sure if it works that way.

I've done a few outside the box hacks.  Like how I used to, believe it or not, video tape radio!  :wink:  I still have that old setup, so I could do it again.  Or I could video tape audio cassettes or CD's like I've done in the past, too.

Handbrake is more complicated than it needs to be.  In fact, the first time I tried to convert DVD Video to an MP4, the audio was out of sync with the video!  :o  It only seems to work properly if you use Legacy for the output mode.

I only use MKV when converting Blu-Ray Video to container files that I want to keep subtitles for.  MP4 doesn't always work in that instance, but MKV does.

Data is data.  You can't change how much space it takes up.  The only way you can change the size for DVD Video is to use something like DVDShrink, but you will lose video quality when you compress video.  Although on upscaling DVD players, I've not noticed the compression like it was on old DVD players that didn't upscale.

Do you mean that MP4 has issues with subtitles over all, or just with Blu-ray files conversion? Reason I ask is because I noticed that many of the MP4 files which I'm almost certain I included subtitles for, either don't play them or didn't transfer into the mp4 at all. What I've been seeing is the words "chapter" plus w/e number it is and nothing else. I'm trying to steer clear of hard-coding them in  I also for the life of me haven't been able to automatically play subtitles with VLC and in this case MP4 files. Nothing I tried like putting English as the default subtitle language, and naming both files exactly the same. Wouldn't budge. I have to manually put them in. 

There just might be something about .MP4 files with respect to subtitles and certain software that I haven't seen posted. If you have please share. Thanks.

What was going on was I was converting Blu-Ray Video content to DVD Video and needed the source files to do with it first.  So, I was using Handbrake to do the extraction and conversion to container files.  The subtitles in the source were apparently something called PGS subtitles.  I couldn't get anything except hardcoded subtitles with MP4, so I sought help from the Handbrake forum because I'd tried everything I could think of, like setting the default language to English, like you mentioned.  Nothing was working; I was always getting hardcoded, burned in subtitles.  The forum support for Handbrake told me MP4 does not support something called PGS subtitles except as hardcoded, burned in subtitles, which I didn't want.  I wanted selectable subtitles.  I had Handbrake configured to always use MP4, since I prefer it over MKV.  I didn't know MKV was "necessary" for some things.  I was told, exactly: "Use a container that supports PGS subtitles, like MKV. MP4 doesn't, so they must be burned in."

Without knowing what you're doing, I couldn't comment on the subtitles.  I've had a few cases where I had external subtitles added by ConvertXToDVD, but that was about it.  All my subtitle experience has been using Handbrake to add subtitles that existed in DVD's to MP4.  I had never tried it with Blu-Ray before and this was my first attempt where I was told that MKV had to be used.

I don't use VLC anymore as I find Media Player Classic Home Cinema to be better for my wants and needs.  It lets you turn subtitles on and off and choose which subtitles track you want turned on within its right click context menu options on playback.

I'm getting ready to chuck VLC and buy Cyberlink's PowerDVD. I think I'm going back to MPC HC, though it hadn't been able to tackle h.265 that well. Not that I target them, though some have come like that. VLC does a decent job with that VLSub getting the .srt for the file you're watching. My issue is that no matter even if I named the .srt exactly as the .mp4 file it wouldn't automatically enable it. I had to do it myself, even if it was soft-coded inside. Now that's another $20 pesos as they say because after configuring ConvertXtoVideo to include the .srt all I got was Chapter Number names and no .srt. Now, I'm not 100% sure if it was all ConvertXtoVideo as VidCoder was used as well at some time. Bottom line from going online, and even talking to more experienced users, the consensus seems to be that for some reason .mp4 has issues with .srt etc... Yes MKV does handle them better, but everything better be synced with the original file before converting to MKV, and let's face it, not all hardware plays MKV. Fix? Get a really nice .mp4 file and burn it with the .srt along side with the exact name of the video file. Many players will recognize this and insert it. This is a very strong reason why I'm thinking of converting my best etc... to DVD anyway. If audio was 100% understandable there would be no need for .srt. It's not though.

Not only is it hard sometimes to hear what's going on, making subtitles necessary, DVD production companies feel a need to make the audio levels in the audio tracks so low that even turning your TV's volume to 100% is not enough.  And TV manufacturers don't make TV's with high enough maximum volume levels because they want you to buy sound bars to do this separately to make more money!  :greedy: 

I've never tried playing subtitles as a separate file before.  As I said, I always either include the subtitles in the container or ConvertXToDVD will merge the SRT file into the VIDEO_TS.  And I rarely have SRT files anymore.

I meant that the player will read the subtitle most of the time if it's in the same container and named the same as the source file, in this case non - VTS files. This is exactly why converting to DVD is better because of the almost 100% guarantee the subtitle will be included soft or hard coded. VSO actually suggests hard coding them into the file because of some limits regarding the DVD file structure. I've yet to experience the other formats such as ASS/SSA.

Do you switch the language identifier regarding the audio and/or subtitle to the proper language before conversion and burning? It's a pita when you have a large project and for w/e reason the source files don't have a language identifier. I tried applying the changes to all the files in the project to no avail. I really don't believe that all the features presented in most of these proggies actually work. I've never been able to use offset regarding subtitles with any luck whatsoever!

ImgBurn last night actually beat my other drive building/burning/verifying with my USB Slim LITEON that tops out at 8x. How could that be? Is USB that much better than sata? Or is LITEON that much better than my LG HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH24NSB0? Or is ImgBurn better/faster than the other software? If it's the USB than having a couple would be great if there was room. One would have to get an extension USB cable for sure.

Speaking of outside the box if you run into a file or files that for w/e reason are taking forever to convert ,in this case MP4, convert them into another format which you've known to zip right through to MP4. I've tried both .AVI and .MPG with similar success. Right now I'm topping @145 fps. on a Dual Conversion with ConvertXToVideo from .AVI to H.264 .MP4 AAC. So when you run into that occasional file that w/e proggie you're using either won't process, or is pain stakingly slow, either throw it as is into another proggie, or convert it into another format then proceed as usual.

Edited by dr_ml422
Suggested Tip.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by switching the language identifier, so I don't know what you're asking.

It's not a case of SATA versus USB being better than one another.  SATA is faster than USB, but with USB, at least 3.0, it can power some devices and it allows for external devices.  Well, there is eSATA but it never caught on and never will.

What you're probably encountering is simply one drive is better than the other.  For instance, my SATA LG is not as fast at reading or writing as my LG I put in a USB enclosure.  But, the SATA is a slim model drive, and they're generally inferior to half height models in just about every comparable factor.

I've many times had to convert between file formats for different container types, both audio and video, for various programs.  For whatever reason, a file is somehow screwed up by its author in its original format.  Converting it to another format and sometimes even the SAME format :o just using a different converter will get the file to import properly into ConvertXToDVD.  The really pissy part is when you're taking half an hour or longer to convert something only for ConvertXToDVD to simply leave memory right at the very end because it fails to properly process the file.  :rolleyes:

When you load a file w/e the container into ConvertXtoDVD etc... if the audio file/subtitle file doesn't have a language identifier then ConvertX will show it as 'UND' meaning undetected. Now you know that it's English or w/e from being aquainted with the file. So do you leave it as such or manually change it to the correct language? ConvertXToDVD etc... asks in general settings if the Audio or Subtitle file has no 'identifier' would you like to make 'your choice here from drop down window' the default language identifier? I can put it as 'Eng" and eliminate having to do it manually most of the time, though sometimes it's not English so I would have to change it manually anyway.

This is my USB Burner: LITE-ON USB 2.0 External CD/DVD Drive Model EBAU108. Now by Slim model are you describing something like this or about half the size of a regular 5.25" bay Burner? Could be ImgBurn is just better than the other proggie, or this here LITEON even at 8x read/write is just faster. I am using a USB 3.0 port, though connected via a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 adapter cable. My mobo isn't 3.0 ready.

My whole "Batman The Complete Animated Series" is in .avi and all those episodes show up as 'undetected'. This is why I ask.

Actually, the way you describe it has never happened to me.  I've never been prompted to enter a description for audio tracks or subtitles.   When I import video, it will just say English most of the time.  And I have manually changed them before in the settings so they're more descriptive on the DVD menus.  What I'll do is load the video in MPC HC, check the descriptions in the context menus that come up for audio tracks and subtitles, and alter them as necessary in a ConvertXToDVD job.

I don't know if they're half the size of 5.25" bays but I'd guess they are.  The weird thing is the "full height" bays are actually called half height bays because back in the old days of computers, the full height bays were double the size of the 5.25" bays.  You can always tell a half height drive by using the Eject and Load commands in ImgBurn.  Eject will eject a half height drive door but Load will return an error message because there is no motor assembly to load a tray in them.

It won't prompt you. It will stay as 'und' and still convert, though when you insert it into w/e player that also might bring it up as 'und'. Now lets say you have more than one subtitle? Then you'll have to figure out which is what language. If you're always working with direct rips from the original discs then most likely you'd wouldn't see much of the 'und' because they'll more than not have it identifiable. Some won't though even from the original disc. I keep saying I'm not going to mess too much with inserting the subs, and just do as you and others have suggested, to just burn it along with the file. I'm talking MP4 conversion from other sources, not DVD from others. ConvertXToVideo will only let you add additional external subtitles to the finishing file apart from only one internal subtitle. Audio it seems to automatically add, and at least allow for more than one internally. I suggested to them to please try to implement more than one internal subtitle, especially for MP4. ie:Your source disc or file has 2 or more different audio tracks and the subtitles to go with it from scratch. You won't be able to convert all at the same time. Basically you're stuck with two conversions.

Who's your main converter software to other formats besides DVD? I really need to find another one. VidCoder just did a whole new GUI update etc..., though it failed me about 5 times.

Oh, yeah, that.  I just leave it as Undefined or whatever it defaults to because I know what language it's in.  Most of my conversions only have 1 audio track to begin with and they're usually always English.  And for those that aren't English, I generally don't know what language they're in to begin with unless the source is DVD.  So, I just generally leave it as Undefined because I won't be changing the audio track to begin with when there's only one track.

As I said, I rarely, if I've ever, worked with SRT files or adding subtitles to a video stream from an external source file.  If I have more than 1 subtitle track, it's from a DVD I'm importing, like when I'm converting PAL DVD's to NTSC.  Doctor Who PAL DVD's generally have 2 subtitles tracks: the English main feature audio and a production notes informative subtitle track.

As for what converters I use, I don't employ too many.  Generally, Handbrake for converting DVD and Blu-Ray Video to container files.  AVIDeMux for converting from one format to another, but it doesn't support a wide range of types.  Plus, if you use its edit function, which I primarily employ AVIDeMux for, and the container has subtitles, you'll lose the subtitles as it doesn't edit or save those.  For a wide range of conversions, I use Wondershare Filmora, but generally just to MP4 format.  I got the program primarily for its ability to convert audio containers to video containers, which, as I said before, I do to convert CD's to DVD's.  I got the added benefit of file format conversion as well as being able to edit video, but AVIDeMux is easier to use.  Well, to be honest, I never actually explored Filmora's editing tools to see how they work, so they may actually work better than AVIDeMux.  But, the way I see it, if you've found something that works, why bother with trying to learn something new on the off chance it may be easier or better to work with?

@Ch3vr0nyes you can configure it and maybe it's better than having to change all of them in the beginning. I also see that when editing any of the sections you can choose to whether or not apply the edit to all said sections. Although I tried in vain.

@dbminter I see WonderShare has a free Video Converter as well? Any input on this? Also has the Guides been updated as far as what's happening with the most recent burners? I'm maybe looking to get a Bluray burner. Thanks.

Ok so the User Guide for VSO isn't that specific as I just now noticed that you can actually select all the internal subtitles for given DVD VTS Folder. At the very bottom of the preview where you have your audio and subtitle streams the option is there to select/deselect all audio/subtitles. I knew that this had to be included, though one never knows does one. Lol...

Edited by dr_ml422
Discovered 'All subtitles' setting.

I'm not aware of any other software that Wondershare makes, actually.   I mean, I know that they do make other software packages.  I just haven't looked into anything else they do.  If it's free, why not at least try it, after all,  right?  Although I don't know if they will save subtitles in their output.  I've never tried editing a container with subtitles in Filmora to see if it saves them.  I know AVIDeMux doesn't.  However, "free" often times means that: it's not free.  It's either time or function limited or the video output has a watermark added to it to get you to buy it.  For instance, VSO claims their video downloader software is free.  But, after 5 days, it claims its "trial" is over.  So, in other words, it ain't free!  :rolleyes:

As far as Blu-Ray burners go, there are really only 2 options: an LG or a Pioneer.  Each have their own problems, though.  And they make 2 different kinds: old BD burners that don't support 4K and 4K drives.  If you don't plan on playing 4K, there's no need to pay extra for one, unless you're going with the LG model.  Then, I do recommend the 4K model over the cheaper non 4K model because the previous non 4K model had a LOT of write issues with BD DL media.  Pioneer are generally okay, except it seems with every other firmware revision, they bork writing to Ritek Ricoh 8x DVD+RW  >:p

On 1/21/2019 at 6:54 PM, dbminter said:

Since BD-R lasts longer than recordable DVD because they use organic dyes which decay faster and BD-R burns metallic oxides which last longer, I will often times make a long term archive of a DVD Video to them.  Blu-Ray players won't play them because Sony was so pissy they dictated that Blu-Ray players don't check the folder structure to see what the media is to play but check for the media type inserted to decide to how to play them.

Did you mean here that Sony will not permit playback of Blu-Ray Blanks no matter what they have inside all across devices including their own? Or just with other Blu-Ray players? They will only allow commercially sold Blu-Ray movies to be played everywhere?

On 1/24/2019 at 10:20 AM, dbminter said:

I don't know, though; maybe ConvertXToVideo has a DVD Video VIDEO_TS output option.

Yes ConvertXToVideo has a DVD Video VIDEO_TS output option, though it may only deal with Main Title.

Unbelievably so the Trisonic DVD-R I wrote about are coding out to MID: MCC 03RG20. They do look good straight out their packaging. I'm going to look into this and see how I might be able to buy them Wholesale for burning.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:23 AM, dbminter said:

Of course, what I do with a best of the best MP4 is create a DVD out of it, burn the DVD with the VIDEO_TS folder AND the MP4 to a DVD AND keep the MP4 file on my external HDD. 

When you do this do you use DVD-5 for one DVD VIDEO_TS folder and the source MP4? Pretty hard to do with many titles as more than not unless you're doing 720P the DVD-5 will be too small. I'm asking because I'm starting all over and if I purchase DVD+R DL, then I don't want to waste space either. As you suggested maybe 2 related VIDEO_TS folders and it's MP4 source is suffice to one DVD+R DL. There's negligible difference between a 720P and 1080P output of the same source, though the added space with the 1080P output is about 1/2 the size of the 720P larger. Most at 720P should fit into a DVD-5 with its VIDEO_TS folder. Thanks.

What I meant by commenting on Blu-Ray players is Sony dictated in their operational behavior that they check the media type that is inserted to determine how they should be played.  For instance, if a CD-R is inserted, the player checks that a CD-R is inserted and automatically tries to play it as an audio CD.  So, the biggest drawback is you can't write a VIDEO_TS to a BD-R and expect a Blu-Ray player to play it as a DVD even though it has a VIDEO_TS on it.  Because the players don't look for content type but media type.  EXCEPT in the most absolutely useless way possible: you CAN write a BD Video folder to a DVD and it WILL play!  :rolleyes:  However, very few BD Video will actually fit on a DVD disc.  So, what's the point?  Utterly useless!  :angry:

More often than not, most of my ConvertXToDVD VIDEO_TS folders will fit on a DVD-5 but NOT with its source container included, necessitating a DVD+R DL.  However, it does, on occasion, fit to a DVD-5 with both the VIDEO_TS and source file.  Depends on the length of the source files and how compressed or not they already were.

Actually, when you make DVD's, I think the entire resolution is 740x480.  So, 720 versus 1080 only matters when you're making BD video, where different resolutions can apply.  I believe on DVD, there is only the one resolution.  I don't know that for sure, but I think it does.

I got my ConvertXToDVD license back before there was such a thing as ConvertXToVideo.  Otherwise, I'd probably go for that program instead since it can apparently make DVD Video VIDEO_TS from containers.  I believe it's output menu generation is the same functionally as ConvertXToDVD, just making things for Blu-Ray.

When I mentioned the 720p I was alluding to the source file before conversion. If it was a download usually you'll have the option of either 1080p, 780p, and sometimes 3D. All Blu-ray rips depending where you go, or unless every source comes from an actual disc. The 720p files will usually come under 1GB, maybe a tad more depending where you go. Now converting to DVD the quality will usually be the same from either 720p or 1080p, though if you use a 720p source file then you'll have room for just a DVD-5, though not all the time either. That's what I was asking. Do you prefer 1080p as your source file all the time? Even if we use a DVD+R DL, unless both the source and DVD Video_TS folder total about 4GB or a tad more, then we're wasting about 4GB space with the DVD+R DL. I can't help choose 1080p regarding some movies as the Marvel Comics Series etc... For the sake of getting the best out of my space maybe I'll put 720p in there with the DVD VIDEO_TS with either a DVD-5 or DVD+R DL. We have 4.38GB and 8.5GB to work with respectively. I just finished some conversions of 1080p .mp4 files and the resulting DVD Video is almost twice the size of the original 1080p source file. Now remember we can't always go by that formula because a 720p source file may be longer in duration and have more action scenes, so ConvertXToDVD will optimize those scenes using a VBR all the way through at Constant Quality. I remember playing around with MeGUI and setting the output to file size for about 1CD to every 2hours of video I think, am not sure, will post back if anything. Bottom line the .mp4 produced were really nice at those sizes.

Edited by dr_ml422
Grammar fix.

I generally never have to worry about different resolutions because I don't download movie files.  Mine are generally rips from DVD's I own.  Generally, it's a case where a DVD is only available in PAL and needs to be converted to NTSC for me.  So, ConvertXToDVD can make these PAL discs playable for my NTSC TV.  And then there are things like some of my Blu-Rays where I make DVD versions because I find navigating them is easier than using Blu-Ray navigation on the PS3.  So, Handbrake will make the MP4's/MKV's necessary for me to put into ConvertXToDVD.  And since the 1080 doesn't matter as DVD is only 740, I always choose 740x480 for the output.

Now, when converting audio CD's to DVD's, I will always use 740x480 DVD resolution.  A standard 80 minute CD is generally about 200 to 400 MB when converted and can be converted smaller when using AVIDeMux to recompress to a different codec than Filmora uses.  However, using 1080/widescreen says the resulting MP4 is like 10 GB!  :o  I never actually tested this, though, because I know Filmora is incorrectly guessing the output sizes.  It defaults to Best quality and on 740 it says the output is about 1 GB.  However, if I choose Better Quality and then back to Best quality, the file size becomes the more manageable 200 to 400 MB range.  So, I do choose 740 for audio CD's converted to DVD.  I don't care if the video is in widescreen or not or if the video is in higher quality because the video is just a still image.  I only care about the audio, since I'm converting audio CD's to DVD's.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.