TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

Oh, as for the Bootype setting, it's most likely just the default setting to make sure things are as compatible as possible with older players the disc might be inserted in.  I think that default setting can be changed, anyway, if you desire it.

After 17 years of almost exclusive DVD-R usage for single layer discs, I'm thinking of switching over to DVD+R with my next batch order.  While it only happens every so often, I have come across an image I built where it wouldn't fit on a DVD-R but would on a DVD+R, despite the factor of sizes being so incredibly small in difference.  I can avoid that by using DVD+R.  And, my players are all relatively new except for a still working 2000 PS2 original release model I have, which I don't use to play DVD's anymore.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok. Would the booktype setting change how the DVD+R is read as far as speed now that it's tricked into a DVD-R? 

Yes you also have to be careful when converting to an .iso because it adds just a little bit more extra to the original file when doing so. So unless you have way way more free space on the single DVD-5 blank even with a DVD+R you have to make sure that there's enough after words when creating an ISO especially.

Have you watched all your Burns recently after converting to DVD or whatever using ConvertXToDVD especially? The reason I ask is I've gone back and checked more than a few of ConvertXToDVD discs that I made just recently when I first posted here, and the content was just lousy! I couldn't believe that there was blurring and all that other kind of stuff involved with a bad copy. I think I'm going to use ConvertXtoVideo as a DVD converter even though convert X to DVD main function is just that. Even some copies that didn't need compression were bad. I better not burn while other stuff is going on in the background or the same time.

Funny you mention that about the DVD+R because it's one of the reasons I switched myself a while back. I just bought those Shiny Verbatim out of hastiness.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt changing the Booktype would affect the effective read speed of the media.  The read speed is capped to a maximum value based on two factors: 1.) the effective read speed maximum value written on the disc itself 2.) the effective read speed maximum cap in the firmware in the drive it's being read on.  For instance, Verbatim BD-R have a Write Rate of 6x written onto them, but many BD drives will write them to a maximum of 12x.  These are, of course, Write Speed values, but I believe there's a corresponding Read Speed value on media, too.

The ISO container will always be larger than the size of the data you're writing to disc.  It's the nature of the beast.  But, a 4GB DVD ISO will not necessarily be precisely 4GB of data written to a disc.

As I've said, it may be because my PS3 is an upscaling DVD player over an HDMI cable, but I see no artifacts when playing back ConvertXToDVD discs.  Even on a recent PAL conversion where I put 2 DVD-9 contents to 1 DVD+R DL.

What I meant with the DVD+R was load time not the overall read speed. They're said to load faster than DVD-R discs, so I wanted to know if the booktype would change that. 

Could very well be that the upscaling does produce way better quality. I think maybe when I created those lousy discs maybe I was multitasking and so it screwed it up. I just finished converting the 1080p MP4 of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974 with ConvertXtoVideo and it's very nice. No matter what you name it the VTS folder files comes in a NTSC folder. I'm willing to bet house money that they through ConvertXtoVideo out way to early and now are up to their necks with bugs! Still no stable update and the hardware optimization isn't working across the board, and H.264 encoding will error out. I think they don't want to pay royalties? Why would every other container codec work and not the paid version? I'm still not sure what the difference between AVC Part 10 H.264 and Plain H.264? The former puts out larger files though fine. Right now I'm playing with the AVC H.264 to DVD option in Power2Go 11 Platinum. That can go in DVD Video disc and play. Looks great also. They also put out to Blu-ray and DVD Video VTS. Only thing no subtitle support unless burned in or as a workaround burned with after conversion. Players will pick up the subs.

I can't really see there would be a difference in load times between the two formats on a standalone DVD player.  I do know there are certain aspects where DVD+R writing is faster than DVD-R.  For instance, DVD+RW erases faster than DVD-RW because DVD-RW apparently doesn't just erase just the TOC from the disc.  DVD+RW erases nearly instantaneously compared to DVD-RW.  And I believe the writing of the LeadIn is faster on DVD+R than DVD-R.

In ConvertXToDVD, the NTSC setting is set in the settings of the application.  It defaults to PAL when you install it because the software company originates there.  In fact, I first learned of ConvertXToDVD because I needed something to convert PAL DVD's to NTSC.  It was the best application I tried so I stuck with it and bought a license for it.

Interestingly enough, I don't think ConvertXToDVD has an option for SECAM.  There's a third video type called SECAM that isn't as widespread as PAL and NTSC, but some countries do use it instead of the other 2.

Exactly what I was referring to was the lead in when writing and also when opening up with a drive on the PC. 

The NTSC thing is that even though the volume name is put on the disc when made, using ConvertXtoVideo the output folder won't have it at all. It will always be C: documents/convertxtovideo/NTSC/VIDEO_TS... With ConvertXToDVD the output would be the volume name or w/e is put in the first titleset.

I think I might be having PSU issues, hence the verification errors. Windows told me to run a check disk and everything finally was updated. Even my display picture on startup finally changed. I'll get a new PSU pronto. I cut off extra cables a while back and I need them now. It's the only thing I can figure that's not working straight through. If it was the drive I would have all sorts of issues.

Why did MS continue with ie knowing very well it never panned out? It's their legacy?! Damn PC won't update automatically with Firefox as my default. Everything is connected to Edge! And they mentioned dropping it? I definitely have to see it to believe it! Frustrating tstl!

AHA! Just caught Verbatim at either a glitch or throwing in mixed batch of DVD+R blanks. I was updating my AWS settings in Imgburn with the DVD+R Verbatim, and after I finished I noticed only available write speed was 8x for that blank instead of 8x,16x, 24x respectively? I told you this might be happening from the same spindle mind you. Hmmm! Where do we go from there?

Yeah, the whole write speed strategy thing seems to be hit or miss.  I've seen discs within the same spindle that are rated at like 8x only write at 6x, even though they supposedly contain a descriptor for 8x in ImgBurn.  And then others in the same spindle write at 8x just fine.

You're actually getting 24x write strategies returned?  Except for CD-R/RW, I can't think of anything that writes at 24x.

Did a little digging.  Seems there actually is a 24x DVD-R I had never heard of before, but only Princo makes it.  Princo holds the unique distinction for me for being the first junk media I ever encountered.  Wrote one and a year later it wasn't readable.

Lol! yes Princo is and they usually use them to sell the bootleg DVDs in the street in the neighborhood if you know what I mean. Yes I'm getting the 24 x write speed on the verbatim DVD + R using my LG DVD burner that I just purchased when I opened up the thread here and Windows 10 didn't want to acknowledge the old burner I had. I read up on that because I found it unusual and it's not only what the DVD media dictates but also they put a descriptor in there to allow certain burners to overwrite to another speed preferably higher. I leave the speed at 16x because I notice using that burner if I go any lower especially for DVDs I sometimes get those Miscompares with image burn. So I let it burn at 16x and then just let the software decide if it has to go lower or not. got in some pretty good Burns letting VSO do the whole thing all the way towards the end.

New strategy that I just thought of which is just common sense is since we can go to those sites that we all know of and get very very nice MP4 high-definition copy of whatever movie we want, might be the best thing to pick the ones we really liked and then use the best software possible to convert it to DVD because I just encountered a DVD that although some software I've had didn't say it had any copyright protection it actually did. It had the Cinavia watermark burn on the audio, which I was just able to write straight to my hard disk but something told me to open it up in dvdfab and that's when I found it. Thing is DVDFAB doesn't want to add it to their regular DVD ripping software. They're charging extra for the Cinavia removal. I'm not about to pay extra for that right now because that's very seldom any discs that I'm going to be using for that purpose. So I'm just going to be downloading whatever I like and then using either power2go or via VSO convert it to DVD with the subtitles.

It might not hit 24x though it steadily approaches up there. Remember I'm using DVD+R and that's where the difference if even minimal is. I know for sure that when it starts burning data I swear it sounds like it wants to fly out of the case. Also the software involved. Put some 16x DVD+R Verbatim in your drive if it's labeled for 24x. Mine is. That new LG Multi-writer I posted is stamped for up to 24x. CD it'll probably go to at least 48x. See first what specs you have. They're only about $25 or so anyway. My USB LITEON only hits 8x but it flies. Reading I won't do much on it, though I get upwards to 18-19 with the LG reading a DVD with DVDFAB. This is why I went with the+R.

Funny story; I actually DID have a disc fly out of a drive once!  :o  I had just finished a read operation and ejected the tray manually.  The disc flew up out of the tray like a helicopter!  Didn't go high but high enough.  To this day, I still can't explain how it actually physically happened.

LMAO! Yeah I believe that! It's the LG 24x Super Multi DVD Writer/ GH24. It's very good and you'll see what I mean when you put a DVD+R to write. It starts loading as if ready for warfare! Lol... Reason I even went with LG is because they're excellent readers. Most Dell will either have a Hitachi or LG OEM burner, so when I started way back then the fellas already knew about what was happening or not. I'm about to order some Dvd+DL as some new stuff I have is episodic and even though DVD Rebuilder Pro does an excellent job, the final output is not always DVD-5. Those extra 10 megs don't warrant a whole DVD+DL so might as well burn the whole thing from scratch.

Bought mine at Best Buy, though you know Amazon will have it at your door step in 2 days with Prime or2 hours if supported with Prime Now.

Edited by dr_ml422
Extra info.

I could be mistaken and it's that their better at recognising errors and picky about letting them through even if harmless. Remember even though one reader can pickup or let go certain reads doesn't mean their actually better. Now the Hitachi OEM burners were the ones I mentioned Dell used and I forget if LG was behind them. I'll put some stuff in my LITEON that'll give me errors and the same file will buzz through my LG. 

I guarantee you will not be unhappy with that 24x Super Multi Writer as it's actually conducive to Verbatim media. You're going to get 8, 16, 24, times options with ImgBurn and others. 

LG made the slim model BD in the Dell XPS 8930 I got last year.  But, it's a real stinker.  Only writes at about half the speed of my half height LG WH16NS60.

If it's just a DVD writer, then I wouldn't be interested in it, probably.  I need BD writing now, too, as a lot of my backups go to BD-R.

BD writers may be capped at 16x because they use 2 lasers, one for CD and DVD and one for the wavelength of BD.  Maybe having 2 lasers would cap the ultimate write speed of the DVD laser?  Don't know.

I think LG makes one of the more better BD drives lately, though I'm not sure if it'll top out at 24x DVD. I'm trying to find which Dual layer you guys recommend. Is it the 2.4 DVD+R DL Verbatim, or the 8x DVD+R Verbatim? Let me know I definitely need at least 50. Thanks.

I use the 8x Verbatim DVD+R DL myself.  But, I don't do things like disc scans to see how they turn out.  As long as they burn and play all the way through, it doesn't really matter to me.  Of course, if you get the slower media, it should burn "better" but you had been getting miscompares on slower burns with other types of media.  So, it's sort of a toss up.

When you mentioned the 2 lasers with the BD Writers did you suggest that's why they don't go to 24x? They make either a DVD or Blu-ray writer according to what specifications the formats allow and they also will choose certain brands of discs to fully support and be compatible with. So when LG put out that 24x Multi DVD Writer they already tested and even more likely spoke to the manufacturer to see what could be actually accomplished.

They wouldn't put out something that couldn't perform the advertised specs, at least I don't think LG would. They also partner with burning apps. Lot of stuff goes on before they pull the trigger.

You might be correct thinking about that cap only because of the dual lasers. I try not to buy all in one of anything. With DVD and CD burners it's a bit different because they have been doing it for a while now. Try having one drive for Blu-ray and one for DVD?

Just posted and missed your post. Remember the miscompares came with discs branded for up to 16x with a Writer that can go 24x, so the slower branded media will dictate how the burner goes I would think not sure.

Which Verbatim the printable, branded, white top? Which one have you worked with? Would the branded Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x do? Huge difference in price so I would start with the better known and maybe 50pk. or less.

Edited by dr_ml422
More info.

Yeah, the dual lasers being a reason why my BD writers never got to 24x even though they're LG's was my possible explanation.  I don't know that, of course.  Just a shot in the dark.

All my drives are external so I can't really "stack" them inside a case like I used to since Dell removed half height bays from their cases.  And I just barely have room on my desktop for the external BD I've set up.  Even then, that writer has to sit on its side.  So, I've pretty much limited to just one and I don't want to have to swap in and out a drive just to get some possible faster writes.

I've used both the inkjet printable and branded DVD+R DL just fine.  I always use the inkjet just in case some day I get a label capable printer someday and can print labels to them.  And, if I don't, I can write to the surface with a CD marker.  If you never plan on using a CD label printer, you can save a good amount of money going for the branded surface.  Or, if they make them, I don't know, you can get the silver shiny surface kind to use a CD marker on.  You'll have the entire surface area to write a note on instead of the relatively useless little amount of space on the branded surface ones.

I forgot that you had mentioned about Dell not installing half height Bay's anymore. Yes the limitation is on the external burners after all! They will not go a certain speed I guess unless it said on the box when you bought it that it was 24x capable. if it didn'tsay that on the box when you bought it they will not go that speed at all the drive when it comes out the manufacturer has to have the ability to go that speed and then coupled with the blank they'll both figure out if they'll go up to that speed together that's why I mentioned that they must have a contract with verbatim because they suggested using their brand with the writer that I bought and also it came with that burning suite that I mentioned before. I've used the suite and that's the one way I say it sounds like it's ready to take off from an airline ramp! LOL! Image burn shows me the speed as it's going in progress though and that's a big big plus! so that's why I could look at the speeds when reading and like I said yesterday it went up to 19 on the read rate so I wouldn't be surprised that it went more or less to 24 on the write rate. I will check that out with some Data. You know that I'm trying to burn DVDs as data, how would I go along doing that? I don't think it takes away from the structure does it? Imgburn will automatically see it's a DVD and create an image during build mode then burn it. I used to be able to burn as data and still be playable. 

What I do since it's hard to find actual prefabricated USB BD burners anymore that are of quality that aren't slim line models is I buy an internal BD drive and put it in an enclosure.

You can't always go by what it says on the box as for the maximum write rate.  Pioneer and LG drives say BD-R is rated at 6x max but you put in a Verbatim BD-R and you will generally get 12x in the Pioneer BDR-2209 and LG's WH1xNSx0 models.

DVD Video discs are just data discs.  In fact, everything but an Audio CD and some Playstation 1/2 game CD's (PS2 DVD games are data discs.) are data discs.  DVD Video has just had some file system specifications particularly set for the DVD standard.  So, there's really no way to burn a DVD Video disc as anything other than a DVD Video disc and expect it to play in a standalone DVD player.  It's already a data disc.

Here's a quick clip of a burn just now.

I 18:53:03 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 22,160 KB/s (16x)
I 18:53:03 Book Type Setting: DVD-ROM
I 18:53:04 Filling Buffer... (80 MiB)
I 18:53:06 Writing LeadIn...
I 18:53:29 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 2267679)
I 18:53:29 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 2267679)
I 18:58:30 Synchronising Cache...
I 18:58:32 Closing Track...
I 18:58:34 Finalising Disc...
I 18:58:50 Exporting Graph Data...
I 18:58:50 Graph Data File: C:\Users\Noloc42\AppData\Roaming\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\HL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GH24NSB0_LF00_SUNDAY-MARCH-17-2019_6-53_PM_MCC-004-00_16x.ibg
I 18:58:50 Export Successfully Completed!
I 18:58:50 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:05:40
I 18:58:50 Average Write Rate: 15,117 KiB/s (11.2x) - Maximum Write Rate: 21,829 KiB/s (16.1x)

Ok so there's 2 things at work with the speed of a burn. 1. The physical Burner and what it can actually max out to. 2. The physical disc and what it can actually max out to. 3. Which is like an extra is what the blank will max out to with a particular burner. So what they try to do is state an average that has been tested between different blanks. 4. Which is a definite thing to look out for is the burning software. ImgBurn just went through this here disc in a tad over 5 minutes @11.2 avg. and tops at 16.1. Believe me that this other software I use says 16x is being used, though it doesn't finish until about 20 minutes give or take. There's too many factors to really see what's what. I'm doing as you suggested and if it plays it stays. Next one I'll hit Max on ImgBurn and see what the avg. is and what it tops out at.

ImgBurn Rocks! Here's the burn stats. Pretty much blew right through this DVD file. Now I really know it hits 24x.

I 19:24:25 Test Mode: No
I 19:24:25 OPC: No
I 19:24:25 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 19:24:25 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 33,240 KB/s (24x)
I 19:24:25 Book Type Setting: DVD-ROM
I 19:24:26 Filling Buffer... (80 MiB)
I 19:24:27 Writing LeadIn...
I 19:25:05 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 2204735)
I 19:25:05 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 2204735)
I 19:28:31 Synchronising Cache...
I 19:28:38 Closing Track...
I 19:28:40 Finalising Disc...
I 19:28:56 Exporting Graph Data...
I 19:28:56 Graph Data File: C:\Users\Noloc42\AppData\Roaming\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\HL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GH24NSB0_LF00_SUNDAY-MARCH-17-2019_7-24_PM_MCC-004-00_MAX.ibg
I 19:28:56 Export Successfully Completed!
I 19:28:56 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:04:23
I 19:28:56 Average Write Rate: 21,509 KiB/s (15.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 31,504 KiB/s (23.3x)

Edited by dr_ml422
Additional Stats.

I'm going to have to think of a new strategy for burning and backing up my collection. I'm just finishing up going nuts because I have a disc library and I was trying to do everything on the fly instead of putting everything in the library afterwards. I also don't need both the MP4 and DVD copy of the same flic for all. We do need to backup though, as twice I found cracks on my DVD. One I thought was a scratch and wouldn't go away. It was cracked. Luckily I just finished backing it up previously. Earlier one of those Shiny Verbatim fell and it started to peel, as if the coating was coming off! No more shiny Verbatim for me. The 8x DL are on their way. I don't know how they cost $100 bucks on Verbatim and just $47 something more or less on Amazon?

How do you plug your drive in for power? Have you thought of putting a sata card in the back and hooking it up via SATA instead of USB? I got a glimpse of how cheap or delicate those Shiny Verbatim are. Garbage.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.