TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

Yes of course the disc is going to spin. What I meant was it's almost as if when I'm using ImgBurn as opposed to vso's copy to DVD, I can actually sense ImgBurn doing its burn apart from the disc. With copy to DVD it's almost as if the laser or whatever has an actual grip on the disc while it's spinning and it does it that way. This is just a theory that I have from my experience with both programs. I noticed I can tell the speed with ImgBurn, but with copy to DVD, even though it says 16x, I know it's not going 16x, or if it is, it's sure doesn't feel like it. Quality burn all the time with both!

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, I think I see what you're saying.  You think that ImgBurn is maybe spinning the disc faster than CopyToDVD when it burns to disc?  That may actually be the case.  You seem to think that CopyToDVD is not writing discs at the maximum possible write rate like ImgBurn is?  CopyToDVD may actually be writing at a slower rate, which may be noticeable in how fast it's spinning.

It's almost as if CopyToDVD has a physical hold of the whole writing process from beginning through end. Almost like an invisible shield where it holds everything together at once and writes everything together at once, whereas ImgBurn keeps it as a separate process with the disc spinning in the drive, an ImgBurn doing the writing with the laser. I sense that happening.

I need your input on something. When it comes to DVDs having at least two titles on them like they do now with the series DVDs, which application are you using, so that if you converted to say MP4, or MKV, you will get all the titles and not just one of them? The reason I ask this is because I ripped a full disc of Underworld which also came with Underworld Evolution, and I used VidCoder on the full disk rip, though it just converted one movie to MKV, and that was the original Underworld. I'm going to try and use make MKV because it does actually do the whole full disc rip with only about 10% lost and so I think it'll include both titles, or a the very least all the titles anyway. Thanks.

Well, it depends on how the DVD is authored.  What is generally done is each movie is its own Video Title Set.  However, sometimes, both movies on a 2/etc. movie disc may be combined in one giant VTS.  Either way, I'd use DVDShrink in conjunction with Handbrake.  I'd use DVDShrink's Re-author mode and isolate which of the 2 movies, if they're separate VTS's, to write a copy of the movie to VIDEO_TS instead of ISO.  Then, I'd use Handbrake to input that VIDEO_TS.  Or Handbrake can read an entire ripped DVD's VIDEO_TS and it adds all VTS's to its Queue for processing.  You can use the Preview mode to find which of the large streams is the movie you want and process only that to MKV.  Or just process the entire DVD to MKV's and load the MKV's in some kind of media player to see which MKV is the movie you wanted.  This will take longer to do, though.

If both movies are one giant VTS, you'd need DVDShrink to load the giant VTS and use its edit/trim function to trim out all the Chapters before/after the content you want to keep and write that new Re-authored content to VIDEO_TS.

I would actually do this a different way, myself, with a piece of software called DVDReMake, but it's not freeware.  But, I approached your question from a freeware point of view.

Well, what do you know!  There's a new beta for ConvertXToDVD!  :o 

https://www.softexia.com/windows/multimedia/blu-ray-dvd-tools/convertxtodvd

And ConvertXToVideo, too!

https://www.softexia.com/windows/multimedia/video-editing/convertxtovideo

Although the vast majority of updates only seem to be to the update engine itself!  >:p  However, there was an update to address VC-1 compatibility problems, apparently,  But, according to their forum, there appears to be a 7.0.0.66 for ConvertXToDVD that is coming soon that will "integrate some fixes about subtitles."

I told you that they were working on this and that it was coming and so now you see. The only thing they're going to update with convert x to DVD is the subtitles because they do not support the Blu-ray subtitles excetera excetera. so they're going to integrate that into convert x and how they're going to do it I don't know. Maybe they'll convert that into srt's automatically within the program or maybe they'll just accept the subtitles as is and incorporated into the DVD movie. although I can't see that happening because it does have to be SRT or a vobsub rip.

Yes most of the updates are going to surround themselves around the hardware optimization. That's where they're still lacking as I can get upwards till about two hundred and so frames per second using AVStoDVD, and so their nonsense that you cannot go that fast when converting to DVD is just plain ridiculous.

VidCoder uses hand brakes engine and so I would have to check to see in fact you're correct about the titles being able to select which one you want. Right now what it does it just selects one movie and that's it. I'm going to check that right now and if worse comes to worse I'll just use make MKV which will rip the whole DVD with everything in it into an MKV file and I'll be happy with that. After that I can just use whatever I want to encode into hevc and 5.1 audio all the way.

Yes you were correct! There's a drop-down box and there you can pick which title you want. Well at least now I know that's what's happening with these applications when it comes to more than one title on the DVD. Thank you I really appreciate it.

I think previously when I used VidCoder and I think an episodic DVD, or something, remember that we spoke about that it actually copied all the titles separately into MP4 files? that's why I was a little leery as to why it didn't do it this time, if it's a separate title it just won't check it off I guess, but it will with smaller episodic files?

There are more VSO betas released today.  Not one for my application, ConvertXToDVD, though. 

ConvertXtoHD 3.0.0.68 Beta

ConvertXtoVideo 2.0.0.96 Beta

Blu-ray Converter 4.0.0.96 Beta

Seems most of the updates address bugs that are the same in all 3 applications.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:27 PM, dbminter said:

Having never even heard of VidCoder until this thread started, I couldn't say.  I'm not familiar with how that behaves as I've never used it.

VidCoder has been out for a minute and it's very very good if I say so myself! They use the handbrake engine and they've turned it around and simplified the user GUI and added some very very great goodies! Download it at their main site and automatically you get the 64-bit version as they stopped at the 32-bit version a while back ago. You see all the profiles it has and how simple it is to use and how great it is! Right now what I'm using is the HEVC MKV 1080p fast 30 setting. I'm getting between 600mb and a GB, to an hour and a half to two hours, and some videos with the whole audio as it lets you pass through AC3 and DTS etc etc. So I'm getting 5.1, 7.1, 6.1, excetera excetera excetera with the MKV container. also add a smaller file size with the hevc. it'll quickly and safely utilize your Hardware, so you get upwards to about 80 frames per second on HEVC, 1080p encoding! Which is great believe me.

2 hours ago, dbminter said:

There are more VSO betas released today.  Not one for my application, ConvertXToDVD, though. 

ConvertXtoHD 3.0.0.68 Beta

ConvertXtoVideo 2.0.0.96 Beta

Blu-ray Converter 4.0.0.96 Beta

Seems most of the updates address bugs that are the same in all 3 applications.

Like I kind of hinted at before, they're only going to update and upgrade the hardware optimization that was lacking, some subtitle issues, and some speed issues. Between VidCoder, and ConvertXToDVD, alongside anything you want to use to get a good rip out of a DVD, Blu-ray etc, you really really don't need anything else at this point. MakeMKVy is excellent because you will get a full-sized whole rip in MKV with all video, and everything else! After that you can use VidCoder to either convert it to MP4 which I wouldn't do having their 5.1 or 7.1, and slice it down to a very very economical 600 to 800 megabyte HEVC MKV full HD audio container!

On a side note, how are you on the cell phone tip? I just landed a Samsung J7 Crown, 16 GB storage with I think 4 gigabytes or 3 of RAM for $99.00 bucks plus a$15.99 monthly  no contract plan. TracFone! Yes their service is very good. I've managed to not make any more calls at all that much anymore and just go online when I need to, so something like this which always turns over your minutes and any unused data is something that I'm going to give it my best try to keep.

I never even had a cell phone until 2 years ago, and I only get it now free with my SNAP benefits.  I don't use it and only have it for emergencies.  I don't use it go online so no data is used up.  I've got 500 minutes, but I only use about 2 minutes a month to keep it alive.

So, I couldn't say hardly anything about cell phones.

Wow, it seems LG really screwed up something on this refurbished WH16NS60 they sent me.  Remember when I said it had firmware 1.02 that I couldn't find anywhere on the web?  It's because there IS no firmware 1.02!  :o  I contacted LG tech support to get an update package and told them the circumstances.  And they told me there is NO 1.02 firmware available!  Yet, the drive IS returning its firmware revision is 1.02!  :rolleyes:

So, LG screwed up somewhere.

Looks like there was a ConvertXToDVD Beta, just a little slow in trickling down.

ConvertXToDVD 7.0.0.66 Beta

And I believe it was said 7.0.0.66 was going to be the next gold release.  So, there may be a new final release soon.

And there's this possible future update from the forums:

" As Dictator mentioned, if v7.0.0.66 is pretty stable, VSO will start working on a 64bit version of the application(s) !"

So, it looks like ConvertXToDVD might go 64 bit.  I wasn't aware it was actually a 32 bit application, but I checked the shortcut and it is installed in Program Files (x86).

Yes most applications dealing with video work are 32 bit as the only time that you get any actual great compensation software-wise is when using the hardware optimization! anytime else you will not see any added benefit from using 64-bit. This is why ImgBurn has not gone 64-bit to tell you the truth. You can even ask Lightning UK on that. but if it does go 64-bit then that would be something better because again if it could actually get 64 bits of information instead of 32 that's a big step upwards especially when you have builds like mine and yours that are upgraded to the fullest potential more or less.

So is that firmware for 1.02 giving you any added benefit anyway?

About any added benefits to firmware 1.02, well, I don't know!  Without knowing what it added or changed, I simply don't know.  And, LG denies any such firmware exists!  :rolleyes:  But, check out what ImgBurn returns:

I 18:53:07 -> Drive 4 - Info: HL-DT-ST BD-RE  WH16NS60 1.02-01 (R:) (USB 3.0)

I'm not entirely sure what the -01 means afterwards, but ImgBurn says the drive is returning it has 1.02 firmware installed, which LG says doesn't exist!  >:p

I do know there is one benefit that wasn't added: writing 16x BD-R at 16x.  It still caps 16x BD-R at 12x.

I don't know about the 01 but the R at the end probably stands for refurbished. Maybe since they had to fix it up or whatever they either fixed it up and returned it with with new parts or they just gave you another one and that's just the way it is says what it is.

Very interesting to see what VSO is going to finally end up with regarding their software.

Oh, he was referring to that.  Yeah, that's the drive letter (I) assigned to the drive.  (I hate Windows general assigning of drive letters.)  It's got a : after it so it's the drive letter that is recognized in File Explorer as the optical drive letter.

So has anything new been happening on any front? I'm looking for a Blu-ray player and so I'm either going to get the Sony PlayStation 4 or see about some of the more known name Blu-ray drives that are highly acceptable! Can't go wrong with the Sony PlayStation 4 because you can always play a little game here and there if you want to. It just doesn't play 4K to my knowledge anyway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.