TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

2 hours ago, Ch3vr0n said:

Mine can ring at the front door any second

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Well doorbell just rang. Accepted parcel, or should i say large box :p. Went to office, opened up 2 random spindels (will open the rest later over the weekend). So far so good. MCC-004-00 as desired.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ugh DELL? Really? As i like to say it "Dell, F*cked up as hell". I upgraded my 10 month old rig 10 months ago with 3 parts. (2TB 970 evo, 9900k, Asus Maximus XI Formula). Those 3 parts alone set me back around $1500 :p

Here's my current rig in it's current configuration

Operating System
            Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
        CPU
            Intel Core i9 @ 3.60GHz    40 °C
            Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
        RAM
            16,0GB Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG
        Motherboard
            ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA (LGA1151)    37 °C
        Graphics
            ASUS VG278HR (1920x1080@60Hz)
            ASUS VK278 (1920x1080@60Hz)
            4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (ASUStek Computer Inc)    54 °C
        Storage
            9314GB Hitachi HGST HDN721010ALE604 (SATA )    37 °C
            9314GB Hitachi HGST HUH721010ALN600 (SATA )    35 °C
            9314GB Hitachi HGST HUH721010ALN600 (SATA )    41 °C
            3726GB Hitachi HGST HDS724040ALE640 (SATA )    47 °C
            476GB Samsung SSD 960 PRO 512GB (Unknown (SSD))
            1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 2TB (Unknown (SSD))
        Optical Drives
            HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40
            HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10
            HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30

And all spindles opened, checked & verified against proper MID. Picked a random one from each spindel every time. MCC-004-00. so i'm sitting on 1k of the good stuff. Now to save up a little and grab me BD-R's (i have little use for DVD+R DL but i might snap some up too.)

Edited by Ch3vr0n

I'd build my own rig if my big ass hands were up to working in such tiny spaces.  Even tower models aren't as spacious as I need for working around inside of.  One of the drawbacks of being 6 foot 6 and a half.  You have these massive hands.

I only got a Dell because the only thing I could find in town besides HP, and I know from experience never to buy an HP product, was Dell.  That was 2011, and ever since then, I've just stuck with Dells.  Granted, each one has been "worse" than the last.  Still, there's worse and then there's downright unacceptable.  e.g. HP.

3 hours ago, dbminter said:

I'd build my own rig if my big ass hands were up to working in such tiny spaces.  Even tower models aren't as spacious as I need for working around inside of.  One of the drawbacks of being 6 foot 6 and a half.  You have these massive hands.

I only got a Dell because the only thing I could find in town besides HP, and I know from experience never to buy an HP product, was Dell.  That was 2011, and ever since then, I've just stuck with Dells.  Granted, each one has been "worse" than the last.  Still, there's worse and then there's downright unacceptable.  e.g. HP.

Don't let anyone who doesn't like Dell bring your spirits down for one second! I've had those most of my life even as my first computer and those things Run for the life of it! They run forever! So I don't know what it is that all these anti Dell people feel about Dell, though I'm almost 100% certain that it isn't their quality that they're talkin about. It's just that they don't like pre-manufactured boards to begin with. And every laptop or notebook that I've had from Dell has lasted from generation to generation even from friends to friends. Walk into any office at any time and the chances that you see a Dell set up are about 90 to 100%. So I build, and the only reason I continue to build is because I know I can get Quality Parts and put it together myself if not I would definitely pull the trigger on a nice Dell. Even my mentor used to say the same thing. Turned out it was because of their setup which doesn't give one room to play with. Then again, why should anyone want to change a pre-build anyway? Defeats buying one to begin with.

I must say though that what we thought used to be high end build are nothing these days but common day to day setups. I already posted my build and as you can see I have 32 gigs of RAM on a brand new 6 core AMD processor at 3.4 something CPU and it's just right for anything that I'm going to be getting into from here on out. 

The only reason I upgraded is because my last 4 year old Dell was having some kind of HDD thrashing problem.  Could probably have been fixed by just swapping out the HDD, but after 4 years of advances, I wanted to take advantage of them and pulled the trigger on an entirely new rig.

Looks like there's another new ConvertXToDVD beta.  7.0.0.68 Beta.

Nothing major.  In fact, only one change made to actual operation of the software.

• [Bug] Preview with subtitles -> Crashing
  • [Feature Request] [VSORep] “app will be closed” warning issued during install/reinstall process
  • [Feature Request] [VSORep] error message if Internet-OFF

Ch3vr0n, be SURE to test some of those Verbatim DVD's you got!  I can't nail it down yet, but, so far, I'm getting multiple failures on my new stack of DVD+R.  However, I can't necessarily nail down it's the discs.  For instance, they always fail Verify on my external drives.  I've swapped in 2 WH16NS60's in 2 different USB enclosures on different USB hub ports.  They're always failing on DVD+R BUT will PASS on DVD+RW.  And these DVD+R are passing on my internal LG BD burner.  So, I can't nail down what the cause is on my end.  But, you should test some of these discs in your new order, just to be sure CMC didn't actually make them and just slapped MCC on them.

I restored my PC back to an image made the day before my last DVD+R worked in an external burner.  Still failed.  I put in a left over branded DVD-R in my external drive and it worked fine on the same image.  However, those DVD-R were bought a long time ago.  So, for whatever reason, (God problem.) my system won't write these DVD+R's in the external burners but will in the internal burners.  If it were bad CMC discs, you'd think it would fail in both the internal LG and the external LG, even though they are different models.

I'll know more when I switch back to inkjet printable DVD-R and see if they work.  Got to get some of those.  If those fail, then the most likely culprit is CMC changed the formula for these MCC DVD+R and that's why they're failing.

It's not the Verify, actually, it's the writing process on the WH16NS60.  If I Verify manually in my internal LG, which isn't one of the NS60's, it also fails right at the start.  So, the data is not being written properly to the media.

The conclusion I've reached is that CMC HAS changed the manufacturing process of the MCC's so that the WH16NS60 does NOT like them, but the LG BU40N does.  I tried 2 different NS60's in two different USB enclosures on 2 different ports on 2 different USB hubs and on its own dedicated USB port on the PC that is not one of the 2 USB hub ports, and it always failed.  I put in my Pioneer in the same enclosure that started failing and it works!  The only common denominator is the MCC discs.  The reason the Verbatim discs were working before is they were of the few cake stack ones I had bought back before CMC bought Verbatim.  The only rational explanation based on the available data is the MCC discs are to blame and they're only problematic with the WH16NS60.  On the BU40N and Pioneer BDR-212U, the first internal and the 2nd in the USB enclosure I've been using for months, these same discs work.  And I'm now starting on the most recent MCC's I bought.  So, the only conclusion I can draw is that CMC changed the manufacturing process of DataLife Plus MCC DVD+R's so that the WH16NS60 doesn't like them anymore.

The only solution for that is for LG to release a firmware update for the WH16NS60 to address this, and that looks highly unlikely as they haven't update the NS60 firmware in nearly 2 years!

In the meantime, I'll have to use the Pioneer BDR-212U, but I can't use 8x Ritek DVD+RW on those until Pioneer fixes the firmware, which they won't as they haven't addressed this issue in 2 years!  So, I'll have to use some really old Office Depot Ritek 4x DVD-RW.

So, I still recommend you perform some test burns on these discs you bought, Ch3Vr0n.  Then perform a manual Verify on them.  There's even no need to Verify against image file contents.  Verify will fail either right away or shortly after right away because the data can't be read at all because it isn't being written to them right.  Which is a firmware/media combination conflict.  As long as you're not using an LG WH16NS60, you're probably fine, but best to make sure on whatever your preferred hardware is.

I'm not, bh16ns40, bh10LS30 and gh20ns10 but I'll try anyway

Edit: well at least my BH16NS40 running fw 1.03 doesn't have any problems with them atm. Ran a test burn (filled from edge to edge). Verified succesfully from start to finish. I'll try the other 2 drives later.

btw, it's a small V ;) not a capital one :-p

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Edited by Ch3vr0n

Actually when you buy the LG drives and I'm talking about the internal ones they straight off the back recommend verbatim disc as being the go-to blank media to use. So I'm not surprised that some of the disc are working on the LG and some of them are not working on the other ones which are also LG but probably a different style. It's not CMC likely so early in the takeover. I'm seriously estimating Verbatim had some real large stock already made. What could be happening and it's a highly likely possibility is that those discs that are happening with that were changed at some point or are just faulty for some reason. I don't think CMC has anything to do with those discs right there. Not yet. And since they bought the business I seriously doubt that they're going to continue putting MCC on the discs without letting anyone know about it cuz it really doesn't make any sense for them to do that at this point not after buying the whole business.

The only rational explanation is that CMC changed the manufacturing process.  They can't be a bad batch because then they'd fail on both LG models and the Pioneer.  They're only failing on 2 WH16NS60's, which indicates a bad firmware/media combination problem.  They worked fine on the last batch and suddenly stop working when CMC has bought the company?  LG would have recommended Verbatim back when Verbatim was a known quantity.  After the CMC buy out, it's not.

It's always possible Verbatim itself made the change in the process instead of CMC.  Verbatim might have made the change mid run.  Either way, the only plausible explanation that fits all the given data was the DVD+R's were changed somehow.  And they can't be a bad batch as I said because then they'd fail on the LG internal and the Pioneer.

Firmware/media combination problems are not unique.  Pioneer used to have a bug in its firmware where the same disc ID was on both the branded and inkjet Verbatim MKM DVD+R DL's of the same write speed.  However, the inkjet ones would always fail but the branded ones wouldn't.  Pioneer eventually fixed this in a firmware update.

You might have found something without even realizing it. I just finished burning to a DVD plus r DL and it wouldn't play in my DVD player but the computer reads it just fine. I don't see anything wrong with the process as it was burned correctly although it was towards the end of my DVD + r DL batch from verbatim that I bought a while back when we first started the thread too. I haven't been doing any burning lately. So I don't know what's going on I'm running the same DVD through rip it for me and I also ran through DVD Rebuilder to see if any one of them could have remastered it and done something so that it'll play. I just might have to waste a disc or 2 to see if in fact it will work. I don't think CMC had enough time to change the manufacturing process they just bought the company and I don't think those discs that you bought are from CMC I seriously doubt it.

I admit I didn't think that Verbatim itself might have changed the manufacturing process rather than CMC.  But, someone changed it somewhere.

I still have some left over DVD+R DL Verbatim DataLife Plus 8x inkjet discs from before I got my latest ones.  I never got a chance to test them in the WH16NS60 to see if they still worked.

I pulled the trigger on two tubs. 1 DVD Plus R dual layer and the other one regular DVD + r ,both verbatim purple packaging Ayzo die. I was doing some video work and I needed to compare some stuff because of some bad burn that I had with a DVD layer video and so I decided to pick up those two tubs because I was definitely running low. There was nothing wrong with the DVD video by the way it was actually the burning process because I burned it with another application and everything came out just dandy. I'll check to see what the MID IDs are when I get them.

Did you upgrade the firmware on those drives since using them last? 

No firmware update.  Otherwise, I'd have blamed that.  LG hasn't updated the firmware on the WH16NS60 in 2 years, as I said.  And I doubt they will.  I told them they needed to update the firmware for a production change on the MCC's; they said they'd forward it to the appropriate department.  They also said the same thing when I told them 16x BD-R only write at 12x.  So, we'll see if we ever actually get a firmware update.

Ok. So you already isolated some Usual Suspects from the case. That's good. When it came to the burning and the speed on the b d - R 16 times did you try to burn with something other than image burn to see what results you would get? Reason I ask is because believe it or not burning apps will burn at what they think will produce quality output. ImgBurn is pretty consistent with it's speed, though it incrementally bumps it up as opposed to getting everything ready then blasting off. I'm having to maybe check off the layer break option as I'm getting too many "it's the end of the world" pop ups and there's nothing wrong with my source. I burn DL media without that layer break and I get great results. Whether it's included in the burn and not talked about is another story. It's a pain especially when using another app that points to ImgBurn at the end, because I would have to be present to complete the DL process.

That's why I used 2 different USB enclosures, in case it might have been the enclosure that had gone bad.  Why I used both my 2 WH16NS60's and my Pioneer, to make sure it also wasn't the enclosure.  Why I also changed ports on the USB hub, changed USB hubs, and changed the USB port on the PC itself.  To isolate what it could be.  Because the only thing that had changed was the DVD+R's and because they worked on the BU LG and the Pioneer BDR-212, it had to be a conflict with the DVD+R's and the WH16NS60.  The only thing that had changed was a new stack of DVD+R's.  And CMC had just recently bought the company.  So, either CMC made the change or Verbatim did before CMC bought them.  QED.

Actually, I don't know what else I'd use to test to burn discs with.  I only have ImgBurn.  Nero would be the only other thing I know to use, but I don't have a license for it.  Windows, I think, can natively burn ISO's but I don't think it says how fast it is burning them.

The big secret of burning discs is it's always down to the drive.  You can insert a 16x DVD recordable disc that your drive supports writing at 16x, but the drive many only, for reasons unknown, decide to write at 8x for that one particular write.  And it's also down to the write strategies in the firmware of the drive for what speed you'll get when writing discs.  So, again, it's also down to the drive.  The drive is always the biggest factor in performance, which also includes the maximum write speed you'll get.  For instance, my internal LG will write 8x to 8x DVD+RW... but only for the last 30 seconds!  :o  Technically, it's writing at 8x, but really, what use is that?  And, before that, you don't even get 4x, but 3.3x.  LG says there's nothing wrong with the drive, but there obviously is a need for a firmware update to properly write to this media.

As for your end of the world problem, what you can do is us DVDShrink to compress the VIDEO_TS down JUST enough so that it's not nearly filling the disc.  You'd have to experiment to see how much compression you'd need to get a size where ImgBurn won't error out on it.

It's not just the drive it's the application itself also. You can use copy to DVD if you have it or not you can also use power2go12 you said you have and it's pretty good if I say so myself. Just so you can see it tells you everything the speed it does and everything else just so you can compare with the disc. Believe me it also has to do with the application because when I use copy to DVD for certain things no matter what write rate I put in it it almost always cut it in half because they believe slower burns are better. That is up to subjection because I've had 24 x Burns that are just excellent with the DVD plus r 16 times media which actually goes up to 24x. I'm not going to start playing around with DVD shrink and bringing the video down to a certain size just so imgburn will burn it. I just use the other software to burn the DVD dual layer and that's it, or I can uncheck the layer break and just burn it.

It makes everything. It'll burn data if you want and it will also burn a DVD video if you want. Media Suite 10 should be just fine. Listen I have an issue with image burn automatically book typing my dvd plus r to dvd minus r. I went to options and I've had it unchecked for the longest and I think it's still doing it. How can I stop it from doing it if in fact it is doing it? I bought the DVD plus r  for a reason. I don't want them to be tricked into thinking they're dvd minus R, especially now that DVD players and everything else is up to date on almost every kind of media out there there's no reason why we need book typing automatically done on the discs these days. Just look if you still got some of your LG materials when you first bought the drives a lot of it is on there they include power to go or if your computer Dell has power to go 10 suite just use that one. Get back to me on the book typing because I also went into the logs and I couldn't see anything really. It did say book type dvd minus r but I have it unchecked so I don't know why it's doing it. Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.