TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

I'm having more or less the same problem now and I don't have your computer. For some reason windows is not acknowlging one of my external drives when it shows up fine in Partition Wizard and Windows alone offers to format it? Something in Windows 10 not right. It's not the computer because all over people are reporting this. Now me. I'll figure this out.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You don't have the same problem I have.  My drives show up fine in Windows Explorer with no problem.  But, after 45 to 60 minutes of being up, File Explorer locks up and prevents Windows from any subsequent restarts without File Explorer locking up.  Even when the drive is disconnected.

Ok. Windows 10 is what most wanted though now dread! More security. For some reason, and this may ir may nit be related, if Windows 10 thinks something doesn't belong to the main regular setup it will lo k you out. I figured out my issue was that Windows 10 denied me access to an external drive that was working just fine. Like I said it showed up in Manager but I couldn't access it. I had to go into the drive's property and apply SYSTEM, Administrator Rights, User rights,... and full control, then everything went back to normal. Now just at the end of transfering some files that same drive acted up again. Lucky I have those backed up. I'm done with external gadgets unless absolutely necessary. Right now I'm scouring that drive to see if I could save some time on some other stuff I didn't have backed. After that if I can get back 8n I'm going to format it and keep it out of the dock. If not straight to the garbage. I've had to apply rights to most of my apps because of this new Windows 10 security paranoia. There's only one user, only one admin, only one system operator, Me! So just in case make sure it's not something related because remember all was well leading up to that. If it is hardware related it would of showed up long time ago I presume, I think. If no then only you know what physically changed if anything. I would right click everything and apply full rights to everything by everything under your control. Now that would eliminate just about everything.

These computers have a freaking mind of their own, especially with this new security. All over I'm reading about similar schizophrenic drives and Explorer . Now in my case it might just be a God problem because all my adult movies were in this drive? Go figure. Without my consent it was formatted! I still don't believe it. I went in and poof, 934GB of brand new space or w/e it is. I'm not going to lie and say that it didn't cross my mind that MS some how knew about my collection and deleted it because it did.

Well then how do you explain over a year's worth of use w/out any issues? If it's not Windows, and before it was fine until not fine, then it just has to be something introduced since that time it was good. Is Dell replacing it? 

I can't explain it because I don't know what the issue is.  It's not Windows because I restored down 3 different versions that worked before and it did the same thing.  It did not do the same thing on my old Dell.  So, it's not the USB HDD because it does it on any USB HDD connected and it's not a Windows error.  It's a hardware error.  Again, Dell is not replacing it.  Eventually, I'm going to stop saying the same things over and over again.

Actually, there are a few updates to the 8930 now it seems.  It seems Dell is offering a higher processor than what I originally got.  The mechanical HDD I'd add on is upgraded to 7200 RPM, whereas I believe mine is 5600 now.  And it seems the graphics card is Intel UHD versus the nVIDIA that I got.

Care to post the full different specs? But it's 5400RPM (•‿•), Why did they even use that in the first place. That's laptop type speed back in the day. More profit for them I guess. But Intel uhd an upgrade? Depends on the Nvidia card that wax in the system. No Intel uhd built in professor can compete with an equal generation discrete graphics card.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I knew once I typed 5600 it wasn't right, but it was all I could remember.  The drive also has a terrible habit of making a loud fan based noise when it first spun up from any kind of video processing activity.

As for the different specs, that's about all I know of the differences between the two.  I think the processor might be updated, but I couldn't tell you what the one in my current 8930 is.

As for the graphics card, I don't know why it says UHD now when, before, my 8930 came with nVIDIA.  But, the nVIDIA options were additional cost add ons.  I don't game and I find the constant slew of updates to nVIDIA to cause more problems than they solve.  For instance, never use GeForce Experience.  It will always "crash" when you try to restart Windows.  As long as it supports my DVI monitor, I don't care about what graphics card is included.  As long as I get picture on my monitor so I don't have to buy a new one, that's all I care about.

Here's the page for it, if that helps you: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/xps-desktop/spd/xps-8930-desktop/xdvmstcs004s?ref=p13n_rv_hp

I opted for the same upgrades as before: a BD-RE drive, an M.2 SSD, and a different 2nd mechanical HDD.  It's the same size, but rotates at a more modern rate of speed.

According to some posts on the VSO forums, it seems when the 64 bit versions of their applications come out next year, they will have brand new interfaces.  I'm rarely a fan of new interfaces simply because you updated the software.  The way I see it, if it works, don't mess with it.  You're just forcing people to relearn what they already knew.  And only because you want people to think your software is improved simply because you changed the coat of paint on it.

The same problem plagues web sites.  Web site designers think you have to completely overhaul the front page every once in a while simply because if it looks new it must be better.  To Hell with if the site actually navigated just fine before.

Brick and mortar stores do the same annoying thing.  Every few years, they rearrange the location of everything in the store.  It's the same old stuff, but they think if they put it in a new location, it will fool people into thinking it's new merchandise.

I do regularly design websites and as such often give them a complete overhaul, working on one right now. That said, while doing that I first look at the menu structure and how it's setup. Unless client then specifically said not to, I keep that same menu structure in the new site.

Doing so, while the site will physically LOOK different, navigating it will be exactly the same. (Although the position of the menu itself may have changed, but once you know the new location everything remains as is)

Doing it that way, for me, gives the client a fresh new look while not getting flooded with contact requests by visitors with queries like 'item xxx used to be at location yyy, now I can't find it anymore. Where's the new location zzz on this new website). Doesn't turn away visitors that way.

Great! Let me know what you think about the Verbatim datalife professional series DVD blanks? Are these even better than the dataplus you usually use? Thanks.

Happy New Year!!!

Was that directed at me?  If so, I don't understand why.  The only changes I've made to DataLife Plus was switching from DVD+R back to DVD-R because the WH16NS60 stopped properly writing to DataLife Plus DVD+R.

New PC should arrive tomorrow.  Was initially scheduled for today, but probably got delayed a day because of New Year's Day, when shipping probably ceased for the holiday.  The USPS doesn't ship on that day, so I doubt Federal Express did.

I'm asking if you ever used the professional series? Or just Data Life Plus? Verbatim has a very large collection of blanks. Every time I check I see a new one.

I wouldn't put too much stake on VSO. I saw they tried to automatically charge me for a new year with ConvertXToVideo which I'm not reupping. I just reupped my ConvertXToDVD for one more year and hope they do whatever within that time frame. There's way too many free and better similar ConvertXToVideo software. DVD is another matter. I just have one other and it's pretty good too. 

Edited by dr_ml422
Xtra info.

I have, afaik the professional ones are only in BD format, can't say I remember getting them in DVD. The most visible different is that there's no VERBATIM branding or barcode stuff on the inner plastic circle on the professional ones. Something that is visible on the standard datalife plus ones. The MID is the same

Well, the new PC is here, but it's useless to me at this point!  :angry:  My monitor that worked on my last few PC's is a DVI, but there's no DVI port on this new PC because there's no dedicated graphics card.  I checked the specs on Dell's site and there's an HDMI port and something called DisplayPort, which I've never heard of before.  So, I'm guessing I need a new monitor that connects by HDMI or whatever this DisplayPort is.  Or is there an adapter that converts DVI to HDMI or DisplayPort?  :unsure:  I don't know.

Just called the local repair shop I talk to whenever I have an issue I don't know the answer to.  They said they do make DVI to HDMI adapters and that they had them.

DisplayPort is relatively new and some see it as the successor to HDMI (for PC) at least. It may not be known to you, but it's not some obscure port. It's been around for a few years now and is relatively common. And dvi to HDMI exist, as well as dvi to DisplayPort.

Don't cost a fortune and work fine, but if your monitor has an HDMI port itself, I'd go HDMI to HDMI obviously.

What's your existing monitor model?

Actually, I had heard of DisplayPort before.  Just not a whole lot about it.  I had forgotten about it.  I read somethings about it on PCWorld.com.

First thing I looked for on this monitor was an HDMI port to connect directly HDMI to HDMI.  Didn't see one available.  Just an old port that looks like a VGA one, but I can't quite be sure.  I saw 3 ports: the DVI, the supposed VGA, and the power supply.

My current monitor is an Acer and that's about all I know.  There's no other identification on the front to make itself known.  There may be some info on little stickers on the back, but they're not easily accessible.  It's a relatively older model from like 2014.  I had an HP VGA monitor before that one I used for years.  Then, in 2011, my newest PC didn't have VGA on it, but DVI.  But, the PC came with a VGA to DVI adapter.  However, by my 2014 PC purchase, they had changed DVI ports again so my adapter didn't connect to the latest version.  So, in 2014, I had to get this Acer current monitor.

Got the DVI to HDMI adapter.  So, I'll see how this goes once I do some preliminaries on the current computer, like deactivate my Macrium Reflect license so I can register it on the new PC.

The DVI to HDMI adapter worked fine.  I've gotten my e-mail and web clients installed, so now I can test the 45 minute to 60 minute window for the previous error on my old XPS.

It MIGHT have been caused by AdAware AntiVirus Free.  Discovered I can't have it running on this new XPS 8930.  When it's installed, accessing partitions on my USB HDD goes all wonky.  Reflect just locks up trying to write images to partitions there.  Applications won't start when run.  Doesn't explain why it WAS working before, though.  Just explains I can't use something I used to be able to use.  But, nothing new there.  Discover every time I get a new PC there's something that won't damn well work anymore.  So, I'll just use Windows Defender as my AV app.  I'm sick and tired of configuring AV apps only to discover there's SOMETHING wrong with them!

So far, it looks like the issue I was having isn't present on this new PC!  :w00tdance:  I won't know for sure until I change the Power settings to not conserve power when the PC is not in use.  So, it's actually up for an hour without powering down.  But, I was relatively sure it was some kind of hardware error on the old XPS.  All the tests I performed indicated that that was most likely the cause.

Now comes the long and laborious process of determining what no longer works on a new PC.  For instance, there's a conflict between ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and Macrium Reflect on this Dell XPS 8930 and that has never been present on any PC I've had running ZoneAlarm and Reflect since Reflect 4.x.  Nothing that can't be worked around, thankfully, but it's still a pain in the ass.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.