TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

ZA? now there's something I haven't heard in years. Really? Even back in the day under XP I couldn't get that crap working properly

Using Avast internet security here.

Swapped to acronis last September as I could get a 3pc license for around €40 I think with a coupon. Figured I'd give it a try as it sure as hell was a lot cheaper than a 3pc macrium one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately, ZA is the only software I've found that successfully blocks outgoing communication, which is what I need for specific reasons.  People keep telling me of other software they claim that does it, but when I follow their steps to the letter, it never does what they claim.  So, yes, ZA is pretty much the best of only one choice.

Couldn't pay me to switch back to Acronis from Reflect.  Got tired of YEARS of rescue media from Acronis that would recognize external target drives, but on restores, would conveniently "forget" the external source device was connected, but only AFTER deleting the target partition, rendering your system useless.

Actually, you're the one who convinced me to switch to Reflect all those years ago.  :)

Havent had to do that in a while. But figured i'd give it a shot. I use acronis weekly and manually do a macrium every 2-4 weeks. But glad it's working out for you. I figured i had nothin to lose :) Used it a few times now, hasn't let me down yet. I will say, it's a lot easier to use main interface, but perhaps a bit "too simple" for tech savvy ppl like me ^^. Thought i'd give it a try for a year then see.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, this should prove interesting.

After a few months on the refurbished, replacement drive LG sent me for my WH16NS60, it stopped writing DVD-R correctly!  :o  Using the same image, with discs from the same cake stack, in ImgBurn, with the same external enclosure on the same cable and port, with a fallback NS60 I had, DVD-R burns correctly.  So, the problem is the refurbished NS60.

So, does LG offer a warranty on refurbished, replacement drives?  :unsure:  I wrote them about the issue and we'll see what they say.

They should, even if it's for 90 days or at least a year. Ever since they told me all their drives from here on out would automatically bitset, I just use my LG for opening up DVDs, CDs, and use my Liteon and PIODATA to burn. LG is my fastest reader, I wish they would have keft the bitsetting to the user.

LG wrote me back and said to send it in for a replacement.  Unfortunately, I had to write them back because, even though they assigned me a case # for the drive, they didn't provide the address where to send it in to!  :doh:  I don't know if it's the same as last time or not.

I'm beginning to think the problem is not with my WH16NS60 but CMC changing the production run for Verbatim DataLife Plus.  I've been using the old NS60 and every alternate disc in this cake stack of DVD-R fails!  :o

I found some 16x TYG03 JVC DVD-R that were made by Taiyo Yuden on Amazon.com.  I think I'll try switching to those and see if I get better results.  I think CMC just can't be trusted, even with DataLife Plus media anymore.

I was getting coasters as well with my DVD+R DL, and when I changed the speed to 4×, they stopped coasting. Those JVC are very good. I went with them after TY went to JVC. The Trisonics I told you about coded out to UME 2 this time. They seem to be quite good, though I need to see how much cheaper I can get them, as they were $2.99 for 2 discs. Someone will be putting out more than decent stuff if they want to continue to sell.

That is rather a low price for quality media, though you never know and at that price if they do pan out you win. Try to burn at half the speed of the suggested write speed so you can be sure of at least completing a burn, and ruling out coasters because of higher speeds and possible incompatibility issues with any of the burners. I'm probably going to check them out afterwards, as I still have almost a tub of 100 quality Verbatim DVD+R and 50 DVD+R DL. I'm soon going to see how much I can possibly get the Trisonic DVD-R as they sell wholesale at their store here in Queens. If I can get them for about $45.00 the 100, or even less if they say the limit is @500 give or take. I can see they are quality discs.

Btw, online at a Office Depot, they have what looks like the Purple and White packaging DVD+R 10pk Verbs for $10.69. 

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&biw=1920&bih=1005&tbm=shop&sxsrf=ACYBGNQsWg9wOkD1__V3TWSlH8TcUYy2lg%3A1580205828717&ei=BAcwXuWvK8eMggeV_LS4Aw&q=verbatim+dvd%2Br&oq=verbatim+dvd%2Br&gs_l=psy-ab-sh.3..0l8j0i333k1l2.14068.26659.0.30260.14.11.0.3.3.0.97.919.11.11.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab-sh..0.14.925...0i67k1.0.UsQCpwkOZlw#spd=2570995532509078567

Disc id = MKM-003-00 for the DVD+R DL I last picked up at Amazon, so still lucky I guess with that.

Edited by dr_ml422
Disc id entered.

Hm, LG is dragging their heels on giving me a return shipping address for this WH16NS60.  I gave them four days with no results so I wrote them back on Saturday.  They wrote me back on Monday saying they were still checking on it and would give me a return address label in 2 days.  That's what they said last time!  :rolleyes:  I think they just don't want to replace my drive since they've already done it before.

The purple and white series?  This stuff?  https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5581521769898238265?lsf=seller:7933,store:205669509070121660,s:h&prds=oid:14434230960636437966&q=verbatim+dvd%2Br&hl=en&ei=H2swXu-QGJKQtAaDiJCQCQ&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA-_-Google-LIA-_-1596097357-_-917110-VQ6-303406857583-VQ16-c-VQ17-pla-VQ18-local-VQ20-329468945902-VQ21-605&lsft=gclid:CjwKCAiA1L_xBRA2EiwAgcLKAy0Ql6TlwTX_JixrtSrT4RiwSSF8w0qXjQJ5-SxGg8Z88cAAUuu1ZRoCbYYQAvD_BwE,gclsrc:aw.ds

If so, that's the Life Series you find in Office Depot stores, which is the CMC junk.

Oops, dummy me!  :blush:  I had the return shipping label the ENTIRE time!  :o  I received a 2nd similar e-mail from LG just now that APPEARED as if it didn't have an attachment.  However, it did, but I had to click a Save button in my e-mail client to save the attachment to HD.  I'd never had to do that before.  In the past, all attachments were automatically saved to HD.  However, I have recently updated Thunderbird, which may have changed this behavior.  So, I checked my old e-mail from LG that looked the same and it did have the attachment as a Save item.

Anyway, bottom line is I have the shipping label now and LG had always had sent it to me.  :blush2:

Both links work for me, although the first link links to all kinds of Verbatim product.  My link, though, if you look at the packaging, saying Life Series on it and it's purple and white.  Could the Life Series no longer be CMC crap but have switched over to the good stuff?

First one does work for me, not the second. but only shows the good stuff. No life series anywhere. You're links are probably showing results based on location of the person accessing the link.

That's the same style packaging like the good stuff, but clearly marked life series yes. Didn't show up for me. Avoid live the plague.

Ordered me 300 BD25's too just over a week ago. Proper MID

On 1/28/2020 at 3:19 PM, Ch3vr0n said:

First one does work for me, not the second. but only shows the good stuff. No life series anywhere. You're links are probably showing results based on location of the person accessing the link.

Correct @Ch3vr0n I'm glad you see it. Sometimes you have to dig online and get lucky. The ones I'm referring to here are in the box packaging, not the tubs, etc...

Anyway, I just bought some off brand DVD+R DL to see how they fair. I'll post my findings after some burns. We have to be ready for either Verbatim going bad, or finding sonething decent we can at least work with.

Edited by dr_ml422
Xtra info.

I hear you! Lol! I think I'm going to buy a Bluray drive and start using those as they seem to be more stable and not going anywhere any time soon. They also have a 50pk tub there that's regular stock Verbatim and not the Life Series. Fwiw, they're offering 5% discount for any first orders. Amazon has the regular 50 tub at $49.53 more or less right now.

I use BD-R exclusively for all backups.  Even if the back will fit on something smaller.  They write faster and will last longer since, if you're using HTL, they're burned metal oxide and not organic dyes.

In fact, I only use CD-R, DVD-+R, and DVD+R DL for those media that require it for a player to play, like audio CD's and DVD movies.

Ok thanks. And verbatim BD-R correct? I'll hopefully get the DVD+R DL non-verbatim today. I'll post back my experience.

Why does a 25GB Blu-ray disc advertise 135 minutes play? Is that how Blu-ray movies work? 25GB and only 135 minutes play time? Thanks.

Edited by dr_ml422
Xtra info.

I've never used anything but Verbatim when it comes to BD-R.

The 135 minutes (I've never seen that advertised with BD-R before.) is probably for video recorders that use BD-R.  For instance, DVD-R was advertised as 120 minutes because on "standard" compression, DVD video recorders could put 120 minutes maximum on them.  (Although you could get as little as 60 with the least compression, and options for 4 and 6 hours.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.