TSSTcorp CDDVD SH-S202J SB03 won't read disc

dr_ml422

Ah, I was wondering where all this would go wrong; now I know!  :rolleyes:  I sent LG a WH16NS60 for repairs/replacement... and they sent me a WH16NS40 back!  :angry:  I got the NS60 BECAUSE the NS40 is junk at writing DL BD-R and BD-RE!  :o  I guess LG no longer manufactures the NS60, as evidenced by its removal from their list of burner products they sell.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! LG doesn't seem to surprise anyone anymore with their antics. I have a question totally unrelated to this , though related to the forum. What does it mean when you sign into the forum and it asks you if you'd like ImgBurn to send you notifications? I get this all the time with all the sites and I never knew what it actually entails? Is it news, etc... etc... Thanks. 

Well if you can't use that NS40 just start looking for something different. I gave the PIODATA people a shot and it's been very good so far. They make bluray burners as well, and also sell Bluray blanks.

Btw how have you been during all this madness? Everything was just fine with me until I cut my right pinky toe and filled half my apt. with blood! I kid you not! These finger and toe cuts bleed profusely tstl.

My last contact from LG seemed to indicate they DO still make the WH16NS60.  They kind of tried putting the blame on me, asking me if I actually read the label on the drive to make sure it was an NS40 and not just reading the box it came in.  They said they'd let a higher up know so they could follow up on what to do.  Which I know what they'll do: NOTHING!  :angry:

I'm not sure, but I think notifications are when you get replies to posts and an e-mail notifies you of the new content.  However, why you'd be asked this each time you sign in indicates it's something else.  Like push notifications, which I don't know what the contents of those would be.  I don't get prompted to sign in each time I check for new updates.  I guess I'm automatically logged in each time I visit the site, which I think I was able to set an option for that somewhere.

Last I checked, PIODATA, on your recommendation, did not make BD burners.  Couldn't find one anywhere on their site.

The biggest problem is remembering to wear a mask.  Not that I think a mask will protect me or others, it's just that if I don't wear a mask, I'm afraid some paranoid idiot with a gun will shoot me for getting too close like actually happened in Texas, I think it was.  And the restaurants are still closed.  I owe my mother 2 meals, one for her birthday and one for Mother's Day, so I'm behind there.  Plus, I want to get somewhere where I can dine in on a pizza again.  I'm tired of just Little Caesar's for pizza.  And these one way aisles are ridiculous!  I follow the rules, but I'm the ONLY one who does, so what difference does it make?  And I want to be able to go into the library again to read the newspaper.

Funny enough, I cut my big left toe on the first of May trimming my big toenail and it still hasn't fully healed yet.  But, I heal REALLY slow from injuries.

Wow, LG is really grasping at straws to keep from fixing their own screw up!  :rolleyes:  After writing them back yesterday after hearing NOTHING back, as I knew they would, they replied to me today.  They want a photograph of the label on the drive!  :o  Well, they're not getting away with this and I'll send them whatever they want to get them to do their goddamn jobs!

Wow! You would think this is a national security issue or something! Lol!!!

You are correct! No Blu-ray Writers by PIODATA,  though their BD-R Discs seem to be quality product. 

https://www.piodata.com/t/categories/Blu-ray-Blank-Media

Worth a look. I'm having to first get me a Blu-ray writer then blanks.

You're LG NS60 is at the top of the list on some reviews believe it or not. Hope they fix that issue for you.

Well, believe it or not, unfortunately, the WH16NS60 IS the best of the worst.  You've got basically 4 choices: LG WH16NS60, WH16NS40, Pioneer BDR-212, and the current ASUS model.  The NS40 can't properly write DL BD media.  :rolleyes:   The BDR-212 can't properly format 8x Ritek DVD+RW and only Verifies Memorex BD-RE at 2x, but mostly at 1x instead!  :o  The ASUS model destroys rewritable media!  :angry:  I tried both Ritek 8x DVD+RW and Memorex 2x BD-RE.

Media compatibility is a huge concern, and Ritek is very well known and used. My slim USB LITEON has been great, and they have a Blu-ray model. I know you don't like the slims, though for a couple of bucks it's worth trying out new ones. I just use my LG to read now that I have 2 burners that don't automatically bitset to DVD-R.

Ritek has generally been mostly 2nd tier quality media.  It is known to have a few compatibility issues for people on the board.  Particularly the DVD+R DL, but, generally, only the Verbatim are any good to begin with.  Sony DVD-R is now made by Ritek after they stopped making their own media.  Ricoh/Ritek were the last manufacturer of 8x DVD+RW, but even they have stopped production.

FINALLY got LG to send me that replacement NS60.  Let's HOPE they get it right this time!  :rolleyes:

Well, I won't know that until my next nearly full BD-R burn.  Until I perform my next nearly full BD-R burn to see if it scratches discs, ruining them, I won't know.  Usually, when that happens, a replacement drive works for a few months before it starts up all over again!  :rolleyes:  I just swapped it in, have configured its proper drive letter, and am doing a read of some DVD-RAM contents, which appears to all be going along smoothly... for the moment.

Had a chance to burn my first nearly full BD-R with this replacement drive.  It was just under around 238 MB of being full.  It burned without incident.  However, the nature of this issue is, when it's present, it starts out as intermittent.  It may happen and it may not before it escalates into always happening.  So, I may have just happened on a case where the issue is present but didn't manifest itself.  However, this is probably unlikely and this replacement is probably working as should be expected... for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does everybody praise VLC as some kind of best video player if on more than one occasion I haven't been able to play simple and already updated MKV files especially with the subtitles? Even VSO's player was tearing on me with the MKV hevc video file the new format H .265. And I'm confused as to whether or not they're supporting mpc-hc anymore as some places have it as being supported and some places have it as it being dead as of 2017. MPC did straighten out and was handling almost everything you throw at it so maybe I need to give it another try. Let me know what's been working for you outside of VLC. Microsoft Movies & TV app is working very well they've updated the codex and it seems to be playing just fine. I checked some of my blank DVD + r dual layers that I had bought and for some reason towards the bottom of the stack there were some used ones that were very scratched up and everything which I found kind of strange. It seems as if they just dumped those into the stack and sold them to me that way because I don't remember ever going down there and scratching those things up. I had to go through 10 scratched up discs before I got to a brand new one. So that's something that I'm going to have to tell Amazon about and most likely not buy that brand anymore if it continues to do that.

Does ConvertXToDVD include all the workings of a DVD like page cells etc...? ImgBurn will always come up with that end of the world pop-up because of no where to include the later break. What's the cure for this if any? No other software gives this issue. It just burns the DVD file and includes the break somehow. If there's a way to just burn dual layers without this end of the world and it be fine let me know. I can't even use ImgBurn as the burning software for say DVD-RB Pro etc... because it won't burn it. If there's ever an update it should be this here issue. Thanks.

VLC doesn't deserve the praise heaped upon it.  It doesn't even properly play back DVD's which Media Player Classic - Home Cinema handles fine.

MPC-HC is still updated, but not "officially."  "Officially," it was abandoned in 2017, but the makers of the K-Lite Codec Pack keep updating it.  In fact, an update just came out the other day.  I've been using it for years.  It replaced WinAmp as my primary audio container play back software and Windows Media Player as my video container play back software.  And now I use it as my DVD player because not only does it play discs, but it plays .IFO, VOB, and VRO natively.

Those scratched discs could merely be a result of shipping jostling.  Or, manufacturer defect from the factory.

I'm not sure what you mean by page cells.  As for the end of the world problem, I believe the other applications get around this by simply designating a layer break wherever they want to.  But, they usually don't bother to make it seamless, so it's not much of an option.  I don't know why ImgBurn doesn't allow the user to do the same thing.  As for how I get around the end of the world issue, I use DVDShrink to shrink down the contents 1% at a time until the resulting input VIDEO_TS is acceptable.

Follow up on my replacement WH16NS60 from LG.  Thus far, it has handled everything I've thrown at it, and I've given it a few CD reads and writes, a few DVD read and writes, a few DL DVD reads and writes, a few 8x DVD+RW writes, and a few BD writes.

VLC is outstanding in it's primary task. A video player for just about any video file/codec you throw at it. But it ends there. While it can perform DVD/Blu-ray player, it's no match for players that are designed and licensed for it like powerdvd (which on turn is then just horrible for basic video file playback).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You're right about PowerDVD.  It's probably the best DVD/Blu-Ray player software out there, but, as a container file player, it leaves a lot to be desired.  I just prefer MPC-HC because it does what I need it to do for DVD and it's free.  Can't beat the price!  :wink:

Talk about a slow boat from China... LITERALLY!  I ordered a backup copy of a WH16NS60 from a website around June 13th.  It STILL hasn't arrived yet!  :o  It's in the US, though, worming its way to me slowly.  Had I known the seller was going to ship from :chinese:, I wouldn't have bought it.  In addition to the slow turnaround time, there's COVID-19 you have to worry about now!  :fever:  So, when the package arrives, rest assured, it will be wiped down, with gloves on, and, once opened, the interior box will also be disinfected.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah next time make sure you read where it comes from because we're having a lot of issues with products from China as you may well know from the president's actions toward that whole situation. it happened to me that's why I'm speaking about this. I ordered a simple thing from Amazon one time and it took weeks to come because it was coming from mainland China.

Wow, you can't trust ANYONE!  :o  I ordered something and paid the extra to ship it Fed Ex so I'd have a signed delivery.  Fed Ex is more reliable than the USPS, which had delivered my packages to the wrong house before and delivered other people's mail to mine.  Fed Ex delivered my package today... but they just left it in the bloody lawn!  :rolleyes:  They didn't leave it on the porch!  :angry:  And never got a signature!  :doh:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as you can see from my last reply, the 24th of July, how long it took, but I got those Chinese people to SAY they sent me the proper thing this time.  They said they looked it up and they did send me the wrong item.  Got a new tracking number with a different shipper, but I still bet it takes 2 months like before.  And, if they send me disposable GLOVES this time :rolleyes: I'm requesting a refund and if I don't get it, I'm disputing the charge.  If Paypal won't dispute it because too much time has passed, I'll take it up with my credit card themselves.  I've been more than fair in trying to get the company to resolve this issue, but my patience only goes so far.  :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Now, THIS is interesting... :rolleyes:  About a week ago, the tracking number I was given for the replacement said the package was in my state.  Now, for the past few days, the page doesn't load!  :o  Says server cannot be found.  In addition, the btrak website isn't responding!  :frustrated:  They were never answering their e-mails before, only answering to queries sent to them on their website.  So, they've effectively taken my money and run.

Well, I'm giving it until Wednesday to arrive.  I've been more than patient and waited long enough for nothing to arrive.  After that, I'm protesting the charge with Paypal.  If they say it's been took long, I'm taking my complaint to my credit card company itself.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.