Verifying recorded disc - why high CPU priority ?

Annoynimous

Sure, CPU priority sui to be "higher" or even "high" when burning on a drive without buffer underrun protection.

There also is some sense to raise CPU priority when burning on underrun-safe drive.

But when i am verifying just-recorded disc, please, put priority to "normal" or perhaps even to "lower"

When verifying (usually faster than burning, btw) what the sense to sometimes heavily slow down other programs on PC ?

I agree that verifying does not need to be a high priority process, especially seeing as how the read speed often tends to be so much faster than write speed. It just unnecessarily bogs the system down.

It would seem like a good idea to me if both Burning and Verifying "Process Priority" were separate and "user-settable" options. Most of the other burning programs I've used have those options available so I can set priority to high for burns and normal for verifying. That way each user could set their preference according to their computer's specs and their usage habits. A cautionary message to "newbie" users might be in order, too, then.

And last but not least, let me state my appreciation for a great buring program. I rarely use anything else now. Many Thanks !!!!

I'm with Grain. The verify process takes 5 minutes or so, yeah? Even during a burn the CPU is lucky to peak at more than 25% when the DMA settings are correct. Now we want to slow down a process that uses even less than that? Personally, I can't see the point.

<radical opinion mode off. Please insert 2c to continue>

lol I think you can blame LFC for this!

I added it in an attempt to make his graphs look better (you've seen his latest verify graphs - right?!) and never took it out again.

It's not that 'high' should mean it bogs down the system, just that when it needs the cpu, it gets it. It helps build nice smooth verify graph lines - especially if people ARE doing other things on the PC the whole time.

I may add an option in there somewhere to allow peeps to set the overall process priority during these stages. That way people can make their own minds up as to what works best for them.

Inserting 2c.

Of course it takes little processor, but some folks might wanna set their priority.

Bloody run outa time again. You're a shyster Shamus!

Regards

Again, I can't see the point. (I did see L_UKs reply but I'm stubborn so I'll argue anyway). :) For highly intensive processes that use bucketloads of CPU time like video rendering or video compression that can take hours or days, by all means. For something that takes less than ten minutes at 5 to 10 percent cpu capacity? Why bother?

<Due to inflation the 2c slot has been removed. Please insert 5c to continue>

lol people like options Shamus. :) The program is already full of them, one more won't hurt ;)

I too didn't see a need to take it off high - but then I have quite a beasty PC and I don't tend to do too much whilst burning. I also never burn off my C: drive so disk access is never an issue for me - it's the I/O that kills PC's, not the CPU time involved in comparing the two chunks of data.

@Shamus

Don't have 5c. Firey took all my cash (as is usual!) She did leave me with 2c to continue posting here though, if that helps :D

people like options Shamus
Plus the verify settings page has too much spare space :D

Regards

lol I think you can blame LFC for this!

I added it in an attempt to make his graphs look better (you've seen his latest verify graphs - right?!) and never took it out again.

It's not that 'high' should mean it bogs down the system, just that when it needs the cpu, it gets it. It helps build nice smooth verify graph lines - especially if people ARE doing other things on the PC the whole time.

I may add an option in there somewhere to allow peeps to set the overall process priority during these stages. That way people can make their own minds up as to what works best for them.

:blush: And my verify graphs still look like a heart attack !! :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.