Bootable BD creation from bootable DVD ISO image

discuser

I was wondering if it would be possible to create a bootable BD on BD-RE-DL media (or any capacity BD media for that matter) from a bootable-DVD ISO image, simply by using the desired BD media and directing Image Burn to that bootable DVD ISO? The image's size normally requires DVD+/-R-DL media and since I have more BD-RE-DL media at hand I would rather not have to buy a stack of blank DVD+/-R-DL discs for very infrequent use. The only concern I could think of is whether modern UEFI based Windows hardware will be able to read a bootable BD (assuming that's possible to create from Image Burn) since BD would require at least UDF 2.5 or later support by the motherboard firmware, whereas DVD reading would only require UDF 1.02 support. Thanks for any input / advice.

Edited by discuser

Yes, as long as the bootable DVD ISO is in fact bootable, you can write it to BD media, regardless of the kind and type.  I do it often since BD-RE DL writes faster than DVD+RW.  However, I would do a test first.  Burn the bootable DVD ISO to a BD-RE DL and test that it can boot on your system/drive.  There should be no problem booting from it as long as the PC recognizes the drive in the boot menu options when you press the proper function key for your system.

Be aware you will probably receive a pop up asking if you want to burn a smaller sized ISO to media that is unnecessary for it.  Just select that you want to underburn and proceed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.