Creating windows 10 iso

David Breakham

Hi,

I have downloaded the windows 10 iso from MS media creation tool. During the image download I choose architecture type to be "Both" (so you can boot in x86 or x64). And then I realized I need to customize the wim file so it could fit on my 8.5GB DVD+R. So that's why i extracted the files inside that ISO

And now i wonder if I follow the guide would it still work with this image

The root directory of the image look like this:

image.png.ec50ce5f8dbc08c2cbb12e57a4655a38.png

It still have etfsboot.com though

image.png.ba7373299a7c9d809596ef129bf8991c.png

Please tell me if i'm able to make an iso with that guide?

Maybe not.  Someone recently tried getting a bootable image with the guide for Windows 10 with the contents of an installation disc and it wouldn't boot.  But, that may have been a UEFI issue that was resolved when he chose the proper boot type.  From my experience, I've NEVER gotten a bootable disc to boot by creating it with ImgBurn in the 15 years I've been using the application.

My flash drive installation files of 2004 are less than 4 GB.  But, maybe the installation in question covers both 64 bit and non versions.  The USB media may have been created specifically with the version of Windows installed on the system that ran the Media Creation Tool.

No they haven't L. Even a flash drive that contains both x86 and x64 setups doesn't even fill up an 8gb flash drive. A single layer iso is just over 4gb for me for 2004. I'd have to check the exact numbers

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I've just checked and my 1909 image (SW_DVD9_Win_Pro_10_1909_64BIT_English_Pro_Ent_EDU_N_MLF_X22-17395.ISO) is over single layer size, but not by much. The exact size is 5,292,945,408 bytes, which Windows calls 4.92GB. There would be no problem at all putting that on a DVD+R DL disc... which is what I burnt it to.

7 hours ago, LIGHTNING UK! said:

The guide does work, yes.

Have they really got to the point where it won’t fit on a double layer dvd now? I’m sure the last one I burnt did, and that would have been the Windows 10 1909 edition or whatever it was before 2004 came out

Oh, I mean splitting the wim file so it meet iso9660 requirements(<4gb), as Imgburn warned me

Edited by David Breakham

12 hours ago, dbminter said:

Maybe not.  Someone recently tried getting a bootable image with the guide for Windows 10 with the contents of an installation disc and it wouldn't boot.  But, that may have been a UEFI issue that was resolved when he chose the proper boot type.  From my experience, I've NEVER gotten a bootable disc to boot by creating it with ImgBurn in the 15 years I've been using the application.

So when you failed to make the disc bootable, can you tell me more about it?

Like, what is displaying on your screen when you boot up with your failed disc?

Is it a screen of flashing "_" and then the whole screen become flashing colorful? I'm asking so because i tried to create an iso exactly like the guide and use it in the VM and this is what it behaved like

The last time I tried creating a boot disc was like a decade ago.  I tried creating Acronis True Image bootable media and a Windows installation bootable media.  But, given how long ago it was, I remember little about the results except they wouldn't boot, but I do remember never seeing the flashing results you described.  Just a failure to boot the disc.

1 hour ago, Ch3vr0n said:

That's not an imgburn problem. That's a VM/ISO problem

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I have finally burned the iso on my DVD and yes, it did worked.

As I expected, when you boot into the DVD, Boot Manager will ask you to select 32-bit or 64-bit Windows Setup

That driver problem I said earlier is because the VM is set to SATA and not IDE

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.