How to copy a DVD

mallomarz

I want to copy some DVDs (not commercial ones -- ones that I created myself) and I can't make it work. They have more than one video on them -- I read the guides and used the Build option to get a bunch of BUP,  IFO, and VOB files from the source DVD to my computer, but I couldn't figure out how to generate a functional copy.

I keep ending up with new disks with those BUP,  IFO, and VOB files. Before I ruin more new DVDs, can someone please point me in the direction of specific instructions for copying a DVD that has more than one file on it?

I'm old, and not as good at figuring stuff out as I used to be. But I did try.

TIA.

When I try this (using read mode), I get the message shown below.

I'm trying to copy a DVD that has 2 videos on it, so read mode does not work.

When I try using Build mode, I don't have enough information -- I don't know how to use Build mode to create an iso. I've tried to figure it out, but I'm not smart enough. All I get is a bunch of files, not an iso file.

I need to know how to create the iso file in Build mode. (I think.)

msg about read mode.JPG

It's not that it has 2 videos on it.  It has more than 1 track.  I was thinking, when you first posted, you were probably trying to copy a DVD made with a DVD video recorder like one Panasonic used to make.  Those cannot be copied with Read mode.  You will need Build mode.  First, put the disc you want to copy into a DVD drive on your PC.  Next, in File Explorer, copy the AUDIO_TS (If it exists.) and VIDEO_TS folders to some temporary location on your hard drive.  Then, in ImgBurn, go into Build mode.  Drag and drop the AUDIO_TS folder (If it exists.) and VIDEO_TS folders into a Build job.  ImgBurn will then ask you if you want to set the necessary attributes for playing a DVD.  Accept ImgBurn to make these changes for you.  Then, build the image file after you've done this.  Then, in Write mode, burn the image file you just built in Build mode.

This guide should be the one you're looking for:

Thanks for the detailed instructions, but I screwed it up again. I ended up with a DVD with two folders: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.

I'm afraid my ancient brain isn't capable of learning new complicated tricks. I guess I need to try to find a program that's simpler.

It's a bitch gettin' old. Mama never said there'd be days like this.

LOL! I'm dumber than I thought. The DVD didn't play on my computer, so I assumed it was no good. But it plays fine on the unit that's hooked up to my TV.

Apparently I don't have the right kind of DVD-playing software on my computer. I assumed I had some sort of default program (this is a relatively new computer) for playing DVDs, but maybe I don't.

Anyway, the hubster and I had a good laugh at my expense.

Thanks for your help and your patience.

Starting with Windows 8, I think (Definitely Windows 10.), Microsoft removed native playback of DVD's from Windows.  So, all modern PC's will need some kind of software installed.  My Dell came with a version of PowerDVD, but I don't use it to play my DVD's.  I use a freebie called Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.