Private use of fireworks to be banned in NZ?

JasonFriday13

Yeah, it's been all over the news during the first half of this month. The government is is still pending on the decision to ban fireworks for private use in NZ. Public displays will still be allowed though.

The move to ban private fireworks use comes from people not behaving responsibly enough, and using pipebombs in letterboxes, and fireworks for uses not related to looking up at them in the sky. I remember when they banned sky rockets about a decade ago because they were too dangerous. Personally, I think the age to buy fireworks should go up to 18 from 15 (just like the age to get your learners driver license - from 15 to 16 years old - which hasen't happened yet).

get used to it ! its all to protect the children :'(

here in New Jersey they are illegal, you cant buy them sell them use them or anything :angry:

But for a person living in Pennsylvania it is illegal to buy them, but they can sell them,and they can use them. :blink:

get used to it ! its all to protect the children

here in New Jersey they are illegal, you cant buy them sell them use them or anything

But for a person living in Pennsylvania it is illegal to buy them, but they can sell them,and they can use them

Jesus some strict laws in New Jersey "Children are Illegal" makes sense though not being able to sell them or use them.

Seems like people in Pennsylvania get the better deal, well selling them.

Ohio, the lagest fireworks producing State in the Union, does not allow them to be used here. You have to sign a form that states that you will take them out of State within 48 hours in order to buy them.

Sale of class 'B' fireworks are restricted to commercial show companies and posession of them is illegal by any private citizen since they are really just controlled explosive at heart.

Class 'C' fireworks, the kind generally used by private citizens, may contain no more than 2 grams of gunpowder for propellant/explosive use in any one item, this is a Fed regulation. Therefore hammerheads, silver salutes, cherry bombs, M-80's and H-100's are now illegal in any State.

The citizens of this State buy millions of dolars worth of fireworks and set them off locally every year. Around my place the 4th of July is an experience from the time the sun just starts to wain in the sky until around midnight when it finally gets quiet...so much for the restrictive laws and their non-enforcement. <_<

Sort of like the dumbs laws still on the books in the US:

here in town:

1.) it is illegal for a woman to buy a new hat without first consulting her husband on the purchase

2.) it is illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket on Sunday afternoons :huh:

Other dumb ones:

Oklahoma (which should get a Darwin award just for existing =))):

1.) it is illegal to own a whale In a landlocked state, remember... :doh:

2.) there is still one town where you must hitch up your cars to horse hitching posts. The horses are long since gone, but, no one changed the laws on the books.

Fireworks have been banned in the People's Republic of California (where I was born and lived for 25 yrs) since long before I was born (1970). The reason's obvious.

I don't know how much of a problem fires are in NZ. But it seems to me it's probably a pretty wet place.

But each state does it differently.

As 'wheel can tell you, in Indiana (where I've also lived), it's legal to buy 'em, it's legal to sell 'em (that should probably be reversed), and it's legal to possess them.

But it's illegal to set them off. :blink:

I remember on New Years, we had to set them in the middle of the street, light 'em, and run back to the drive way :innocent: , all the time keeping an eye out at the end of the street to see if Lafayette's finest were pulling up the street to investigate the deafening explosions in the rather upscale neighborhood where we held our celebrations.

In Nevada, where I presently live, you can only buy certain kinds and can only set them off in certain areas. This despite the fact that Nevada has even worse fire "seasons" than the People's Republic to the west.

Go figure.

On the other hand, prostitution legal here (in any country with a population under 400,000; there's only one country that fits that criterion: Clark, where the Strip is and where 27M tourists leave $9 billion dollars in gambling losses--not counting "non-gaming" revenue--every year).

Yeah, it's been all over the news during the first half of this month. The government is is still pending on the decision to ban fireworks for private use in NZ. Public displays will still be allowed though.

The move to ban private fireworks use comes from people not behaving responsibly enough, and using pipebombs in letterboxes, and fireworks for uses not related to looking up at them in the sky. I remember when they banned sky rockets about a decade ago because they were too dangerous. Personally, I think the age to buy fireworks should go up to 18 from 15 (just like the age to get your learners driver license - from 15 to 16 years old - which hasen't happened yet).

I don't know how much of a problem fires are in NZ. But it seems to me it's probably a pretty wet place.

Yeah, about 2 weeks ago on thursday and friday, we had hot days. Last week on thursday and friday, it rained all day. We also tend to run out of water on farms down south during the summer (due to no rain). Also, the desert road (it goes through the middle of the north island, between two mountains I believe) can be closed for a couple of days during the winter because of excess snow fall.

I found a story about the Great Fire of Hawera.

Link: http://www.taranakimuseum.org.nz/en/storie...ers/bigfire.asp

I love stories, especially interesting old ones like this one. I also like the titanic disaster.

M-80s, M-100s, M-1000s (a quarter stick of dynamite if memory serves) have been illegal in California for as long as I can remember (25+ yrs).

My brother, one time, went down to Mexico with a friend's family. He came back with a big ass sack full of M-80s. Jesus, did he and his friends got nuts with those.

They even killed a dog (accidentally) by throwing them into the yard.

They'd light them and drop them in our swimming pool to watch them explode under water. Big gray ball that would float to the surface then dissipate as smoke.

But they are not to be fucked around with.

My older, half-brother (by another mother) blew off the first knuckle of his right index finger with an M-80.

they are not to be screwed around with.

Even those dry-ice "bombs" are illegal under Federal law. (That is where you take a quantity of dry ice chips and put them in a 2-liter pop bottle. As it melts, or subliminates, whatever the terms is when a solid bypassed liquid state and goes straight to gas, the bottle expands and then explodes. More than one kids has found himself hauled out of the local cop shop by the Feds. They don't usually press charges. Just getting picked up by the FBI--or is it ATF?--is enough to constrict most people's pucker.

Ohio, the lagest fireworks producing State in the Union, does not allow them to be used here. You have to sign a form that states that you will take them out of State within 48 hours in order to buy them.

Sale of class 'B' fireworks are restricted to commercial show companies and posession of them is illegal by any private citizen since they are really just controlled explosive at heart.

Class 'C' fireworks, the kind generally used by private citizens, may contain no more than 2 grams of gunpowder for propellant/explosive use in any one item, this is a Fed regulation. Therefore hammerheads, silver salutes, cherry bombs, M-80's and H-100's are now illegal in any State.

The citizens of this State buy millions of dolars worth of fireworks and set them off locally every year. Around my place the 4th of July is an experience from the time the sun just starts to wain in the sky until around midnight when it finally gets quiet...so much for the restrictive laws and their non-enforcement. <_<

@Jason:

I'm the first one to admit I know little about NZ. Can't name your PM (while I can Australia's, Howard, right? He was at Steven Irwin's funeral).

The Moas, that gigantic Eagle, the Maoris fighting the British using British tactics. My knowledge is quite scanty.

One thing's for sure from the Lord of the Rings films, it's one of the most beautiful places on Earth. So I can quite understand your love for it.

Yeah, about 2 weeks ago on thursday and friday, we had hot days. Last week on thursday and friday, it rained all day. We also tend to run out of water on farms down south during the summer (due to no rain). Also, the desert road (it goes through the middle of the north island, between two mountains I believe) can be closed for a couple of days during the winter because of excess snow fall.

I love stories, especially interesting old ones like this one. I also like the titanic disaster.

my mother had a good friend who was one of the survivors of the Titanic ,that was back in the 50's

One guy fawkes several years ago, we lit a firework to watch. The first shot went up, then the rest of the shots (another four) proceeded to fire the four corners of the yard, the last one being shot towards us. After the initial scare, the adrenalin was pumping, and we waited a few minutes for it to calm down before continuing.

Yeah, they can be dangerous, but we still get blamed if it isn't our fault (for causing potential injury). It's those few people that have creative minds that are messing it up for the rest of us (in NZ).

[edit] @ Pain_Main:

There are several other movies filmed in NZ: as you said, Lord of the Rings (directed by Kiwi Peter Jackson); The Chronicles of Narnia (directed by another kiwi Andrew Adamson - who also directed Shrek 1 & 2); King Kong, directed by Peter Jackson again; The Last Samurai (filmed mostly in New Plymouth and at Pukekura Park, about an hour north of Hawera); Without a Paddle, The Worlds Fastest Indian, Whale Rider, Siones Wedding.

The pm of NZ currently is Helen Clark.

We are going to play the hosts to the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

A round of the A1GP is to be held at the Taupo Circuit on January 19-21 2007.

The ITU World Triathlon was just run in New Plymouth yesterday (on Sunday).

Those were just some of the events shceduled to happen in the future.[/edit]

Edited by JasonFriday13

We had a shop around Tweed Heads (NSW, Australia) selling fireworks and crackers to the general public. We use to buy a whole heap and let most of them off on New Years night. Then keep the rest for any time we wanted to use it.

Every now and then the cops would raid it and send us all out of the store. As far as I know they've closed down. They could have moved somewhere else, who knows...

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the fireworks situation in NZ: You can only buy fireworks in the 3 days leading up to Guy Fawkes; sparklers will now only be sold in larger fireworks packs (I assume to help prevent sparkler bombs being made); and the age to buy fireworks has gone up to 18. At least I am still happy they ain't banned, yet.

Oh, and sorry I have not responded on the forums for about two months now, because I don't have the internet at home. I am a bit surprised LUK has not released a new version yet. I bet he is busy working on some extra stuff for it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.