Info about iso file

dmaxime

Hi everyone,

I would like to learn how to write a program that creates an .iso file and I would like to be able to do it independently of the operating system (Windows/Linux), unfortunately for now I have only found documentation relating to IMAPI2 libraries which are Windows dependent. Who else, better than you, could direct or provide me with some documentation and/or examples? My favorite languages are C, C ++. Could you help me?

Thanks in advance

Do you want me to write it for you?!

There’s plenty of stuff out there if you Google for it. This is not a coding forum.

Start with iso9660. Learn which descriptors are required and where they need to be located within the overall iso. Fill them out and build your image.

Did I ask you to write the code for me? I just asked if you could give me some help and an answer like: "learn iso9660 and write your own program" is offensive and describes you as an arrogant person. You could have chosen other words. Being kind is cheap. I am very sorry that I joined this forum and would like to unsubscribe because I would not want to meet other people like you. I'll write the code myself at least I'll be sure it will work fine. Unsubscribe me if you can or tell me how.

The problem here is that you're asking for 'help' on something that's actually quite complex... and perhaps you don't fully appreciate that?

I don't have any code samples, I did exactly what I suggested you do.... located the specs of the file systems, learnt about the different descriptors and then wrote the code to create those descriptors. If you don't understand everything in the file descriptors and how they build up the file system as a whole, you don't stand a chance in writing a program to do what you're trying to do.

ISO9660 is the easy one. Joliet is a slight change in order to support multibyte character sets. UDF is a different ball game, and then there are different version of that, so it's multiple different ball games.

Actually, maybe I've assumed wrongly here? When you said you wanted to create an ISO, I assumed you wanted to 'build' one. That would involve you learning about file systems. If you just want to read a pre-existing disc in a drive and save it as an ISO, that's something entirely different. To save you wasting your time on whichever forum you go to next, spell out exactly what you're after. Arrogant people such as myself, don't like to have our time wasted by people who want something for nothing and then get all snotty when they don't get the exact answer they wanted.

On 12/29/2020 at 10:31 PM, LIGHTNING UK! said:

The problem here is that you're asking for 'help' on something that's actually quite complex... and perhaps you don't fully appreciate that?

I don't have any code samples, I did exactly what I suggested you do.... located the specs of the file systems, learnt about the different descriptors and then wrote the code to create those descriptors. If you don't understand everything in the file descriptors and how they build up the file system as a whole, you don't stand a chance in writing a program to do what you're trying to do.

ISO9660 is the easy one. Joliet is a slight change in order to support multibyte character sets. UDF is a different ball game, and then there are different version of that, so it's multiple different ball games.

Actually, maybe I've assumed wrongly here? When you said you wanted to create an ISO, I assumed you wanted to 'build' one. That would involve you learning about file systems. If you just want to read a pre-existing disc in a drive and save it as an ISO, that's something entirely different. To save you wasting your time on whichever forum you go to next, spell out exactly what you're after. Arrogant people such as myself, don't like to have our time wasted by people who want something for nothing and then get all snotty when they don't get the exact answer they wanted.

Yes I agree!

There are so many useful sites and forums on the Internet that will help you. This is a big topic that requires a lot of time, it is unlikely that someone will be able to answer your question in detail.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.