Can´t burn DVD+R DL

Fumiya

Hello,

I´ve been trying to search for a solution three days already but couldnt find a thing.

My problem is, as states the title, I have trouble Burning DVDs.

To be honest, I´m a total beginner and this is my first time attempting to burn something on my own. I searched a lot online, got my pc scanned with VSO Inspector and bought Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL as you suggested. All in order. I made my own ISO with DVDStyler and when i first attempted to burn it program crashed. People then recommended to me imgburn for burning. 

So here I am. I don´t really know what could go wrong during the process maybe because i stuffed the ISO to 99% of DL capacity :).

I don´t know if this will help but these are the device information:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU71N LM00 (SATA)
     Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:
     State of Last Session: Incomplete
     Erasable: No
     Sessions: 1
     Free Sectors: 4,173,792
     Free Space: 8,547,926,016 bytes
     Free Time: 927:32:42 (MM:SS:FF)
     Next Writable Address: 32
     MID: CMC MAG-D03-64
     Supported Write Speeds: 3x, 4x, 6x

DVD±R DL Boundary Information:
     L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,086,912
     Changeable: Yes

Please help.

If you need aditional info just ask.

Fumiya

There's your problem, most likely:

MID: CMC MAG-D03-64

You got the junk Verbatim.  You most likely bought the Life Series found in brick and mortar stores.  Those are the CMC junk, relatively useless.  You want the DataLife Plus (NOT Life Series.) or AZO kind of discs you only find online in stores like Amazon.com and OfficeDepot.com.  (NOT in Office Depot stores as those are the Life Series.)

CMC junk media causes over half of the problems we see on this board.  Most are generally resolved when people switch from the junk CMC media to quality media.

As you said, this is your first time.  These are things you only learn from experience.  Like sex.  :wink:

Oh, thank you very much for your advice. I´ll try to get the better series.

But since i already own these, is there any way to make them function (at least partialy) or put them to another use?

Most likely not.  You could try checking for a firmware update, but that rarely helps.  Plus, there rarely is one available.  In Write mode, right click on the drive letter and choose the last option in the context menu, the one about checking for firmware updates.

There's always the chance a different burner drive will work better.  You can always try replacing your burner with a different make and model, but that rarely works.

One thing you might be able to do is don't burn to the second layer.  You may still get use out of them, but you're paying more for less value.  Most double layer disc failures occur at the layer change.  However, there's no guarantee your image still won't be burned to some part of the 2nd layer even if you do create a single layer sized image.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:50 PM, dbminter said:

One thing you might be able to do is don't burn to the second layer.  You may still get use out of them, but you're paying more for less value.  Most double layer disc failures occur at the layer change.  However, there's no guarantee your image still won't be burned to some part of the 2nd layer even if you do create a single layer sized image.

You mean even if you write mere 2 GB it can still spill over to the second layer?

If you have 8,547,926,016 bytes or 7.9 GiB, half of that is 4,273,963,008 bytes or 3.9 GiB. I figure if you keep it under 3.9 it should not spill over to the second layer?

Regardless, I think it's wise to invest in good quality media rather. The only problem is you don't know what you're getting until it's too late, even if it says "Verbatim" on the packaging. What manufacturers should be doing is printing the MID code on the packaging. Alternatively, you can go by the model or series name.

Is there any database available with these MID codes and UPC barcodes? It might be possible to build an app that would allow you to scan the product packaging and make an informed purchase decision. Just a thought.

I believe as you get near the outer boundary of burning a DVD-5 to DVD-9, the application could add what is called padding, which may result in a larger than DVD-5 disc.  While this isn't necessarily a comparable situation, I had a DVD-9 image once that was just barely over the size of a DVD-5.  However, the resulting disc was burned to nearly 8 GB.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:03 AM, Fumiya said:

But since i already own these, is there any way to make them function (at least partialy) or put them to another use?

The only option in this case would be to try at the lowest speed allowed of the burner and with 'Perform OPC Before Write' enabled. I've had this issue in the past with CMC junk media and from what I recall this was the only way I could get the rest of them to write & verify without errors at the layer break. I hope it helps :)

Edited by Alex Adrian

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.