Bootable Disc - Incorrect function

Ken852

I'm trying to make a copy of my Windows 10 USB installation drive using ImgBurn by making a bootable ISO file which I plan on writing to a new USB drive. There are options for making images bootable but for some reason it requires that I provide the boot image, and although there are options for extracting one from my current system this fails for some reason. I get this error:

DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_DISK_GET_PARTITION_INFO) Failed! Reason: Incorrect function.

Followed by:

Operation Failed!

I'm not too sure why this is.

Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but the way I do it is I open ImgBurn in Build mode and then add the drive letter of the Windows 10 USB to Source and a file location on Desktop as my Destination. Then I go to Advanced tab, Bootable Disc and click on the blue floppy disk icon with my Windows C drive selected in the list (to extract image from).

extract-boot-image.png

Edited by Ken852

Yes, try getting an ISO with the Windows Media Creation Tool.  You can then burn that ISO to a disc with ImgBurn or write it to a flash drive with something like Rufus.  Unless you plan on adding files to the disc before burning/writing it.  Which you're best off getting some kind of ISO injector like UltraISO or just writing the ISO to flash drive and copying over the new files to that.

Solved! I used this guide to get around the boot image file requirement:

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-iso-from-filesfolders/

Little did I know there was a nearly identical guide on the ImgBurn forum itself:

https://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/11194-how-to-create-a-windows-vista-7-8-installation-disc-bootable-using-imgburn/

I just needed to supply the "etfsboot.com" file which was already on my USB drive. So I copied all files and folders from the USB drive to a new folder on the desktop (C drive) before adding that folder to ImgBurn as source, and then specifying the boot image file from within that folder.

I wanted to make a backup copy of the Windows 10 build that's already on my USB drive (it's the May 2020 update and still supported) before I format the drive, and I also wanted to see if it's possible to make it bootable (just for learning how it's done). I have not this sort of thing in years. Most guides I found on the web explain how to use existing Windows ISO files to create bootable CD/DVD/USB.

I wonder why the extraction function is not working? Is that for Windows XP only?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.