Some LCD Monitor Advice...

Pain_Man

I bought my new machine, similar to the quote I posted.

Now I need to buy a flat panel monitor--but I can't make up my mind. There are a lot of choices out there--and the price range in bewildering, often for the same damn monitor!

The video card is the Crossfire dual X1950 512MB (which is really 1GB of DDR3 memory). So I need a pretty bad ass monitor to enjoy the card to the fullest.

I'm leaning toward a Viewsonic, but...

...I'd like any recommendations that y'all have.

Especially the brands not to buy.

I don't think I want a widescreen. Most of the video games I play are FPS and WS's don't leave very much room at the top, a serious handicap when 14 demon/alien/enemy soldiers are coming down on your ass with heavy weapons. Or, am I misinformed about that? I know most of them can be tilted 90 degrees, or more, but that just changes the reduced viewing area from horizontal to vertical.

On the other hand, a 22 to 24in WS would enable me to watch movies as well as have a lot of windows open (I like to drive my machines as hard as I can...)

My Gateway won't get here for another seven days ( :) ) so I've got some time.

"Help, IB Forum, this is not even close to my most desperate hour."

But I don't know a more intelligent and well-informed group to turn to for advice.

Thanks.

Edited by Pain_Man

If you want one for games, this is the one I'd get, and actually probably am! Info copied from another site, sells for $329CAD, which should be about $290-300US.

Samsung SyncMaster 931C

19in Digital LCD w/ DVI, 2ms,

2000:1 Contrast, Glossy Black

Product Info

* The Samsung SyncMaster 931c is a 19-inch analog and digital TFT-LCD delivering a 2000:1 contrast ratio with dynamic contrast, 300cd/m2 brightness, 1280 x 1024 resolution, 160/160 degree viewing angle and scanning frequency of 30-81kHz horizontal and 56-75Hz vertical with a fast response time of 2 ms (gray to gray). It is the first 19" LCD monitor that features Wide Color Gamut (CCFL 97%) Color Innovation with support of other Samsung Magic Technologies including MagicTune and MagicBright III.

Features

* - Wide Color Gamut (CCFL 97%)

- Color Innovation

- 2000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

- MagicSpeed Fast 2ms Response Time

- Print Viewer preview image for accurate printing

- High glossy black infusion of style

- MagicBright3

- MagicTune

Specifications

* Panel

Viewable Area: 19"

Pixel Pitch: 0.294

Brightness(Typ.): 250 cd/m2

Contrast Ratio(Typ. ): 2000:1 (Dynamic Contrast)

Viewing Angle(H/V): 160/160 (CR>5)

Response Time(Typ. ): 2ms (Gray to Gray)

Interface: Analog/Digital

Frequency

Horizontal Frequency: 30-81khz

Vertical Frequency: 56-75hz

Maximum Resolution: 1280x1024

Colour Supported: 16.2 million

Signal Input

Input Video Signal: Analog RBG, DVI Digital Link:TMDS

Sync. Type: Separate H/V, Composite H/V, SOG

Input Connectors: 15pin D-sub, DVI-D

Included Signal Cable: D-Sub Cable, DVI Cable

Mac Compatibility: Yes

DDC: DDC 2B

On Mode: 38 Watts (Max.)

DPMS Mode: <1 Watt

Multimedia Speakers: N/A

Wall-Mount: VESA 75mm

Available Colours: High Glossy Black

Stand: Simple

Dimensions:

Set with stand(WxHxD): 422.7x427.9x219.3 mm

Weight: 5.5 kg

Warranty

* 3 years Manufacturer's Parts and Labour warranty. Manufacturer's Dead Pixel policies will apply.

Thanks for the info.

Buy.com has it for $331. It's sold out so it sounds like its a popular one.

2000:1 contrast. No other monitor I've seen comes close. 1300:1 is the highest I've seen.

If you want one for games, this is the one I'd get, and actually probably am! Info copied from another site, sells for $329CAD, which should be about $290-300US.

Samsung SyncMaster 931C

19in Digital LCD w/ DVI, 2ms,

2000:1 Contrast, Glossy Black

Product Info

* The Samsung SyncMaster 931c is a 19-inch analog and digital TFT-LCD delivering a 2000:1 contrast ratio with dynamic contrast, 300cd/m2 brightness, 1280 x 1024 resolution, 160/160 degree viewing angle and scanning frequency of 30-81kHz horizontal and 56-75Hz vertical with a fast response time of 2 ms (gray to gray). It is the first 19" LCD monitor that features Wide Color Gamut (CCFL 97%) Color Innovation with support of other Samsung Magic Technologies including MagicTune and MagicBright III.

Features

* - Wide Color Gamut (CCFL 97%)

- Color Innovation

- 2000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

- MagicSpeed Fast 2ms Response Time

- Print Viewer preview image for accurate printing

- High glossy black infusion of style

- MagicBright3

- MagicTune

Specifications

* Panel

Viewable Area: 19"

Pixel Pitch: 0.294

Brightness(Typ.): 250 cd/m2

Contrast Ratio(Typ. ): 2000:1 (Dynamic Contrast)

Viewing Angle(H/V): 160/160 (CR>5)

Response Time(Typ. ): 2ms (Gray to Gray)

Interface: Analog/Digital

Frequency

Horizontal Frequency: 30-81khz

Vertical Frequency: 56-75hz

Maximum Resolution: 1280x1024

Colour Supported: 16.2 million

Signal Input

Input Video Signal: Analog RBG, DVI Digital Link:TMDS

Sync. Type: Separate H/V, Composite H/V, SOG

Input Connectors: 15pin D-sub, DVI-D

Included Signal Cable: D-Sub Cable, DVI Cable

Mac Compatibility: Yes

DDC: DDC 2B

On Mode: 38 Watts (Max.)

DPMS Mode: <1 Watt

Multimedia Speakers: N/A

Wall-Mount: VESA 75mm

Available Colours: High Glossy Black

Stand: Simple

Dimensions:

Set with stand(WxHxD): 422.7x427.9x219.3 mm

Weight: 5.5 kg

Warranty

* 3 years Manufacturer's Parts and Labour warranty. Manufacturer's Dead Pixel policies will apply.

• 2 weeks later...

I eventually bought a Samsung 225bw (WS) 22in LCD. It's kick ass. It's big enough so I can watch movies lying in bed. julli-danse.gif But small enough so it doesn't overwhelm (tho' admittedly, I wouldn't have minded say a 26in). http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LC...22DPWCBQXAA.asp

The images are crisp and clean with 600:1 contrast ratio. It was a little too bright so I turned the brightness down by about 15%. The colors are so much richer and more vibrant than the 22in (4:3) Gateway-branded Sony flat-screen Trinitron CRT that's now Monitor #2.

Though it only runs at 60Hz, the 5ms refresh time <?> makes the transitions invisible to the eye (mine anyway).

Tho' it's on the expensive side, it was US$450 (incl. tax and shipping but came with a $20 rebate), it's well worth it. The best monitor I've ever seen outside that monster 30incher that Apple sells for CAD and graphics art work.

Games look really, really good on it. In fact, playing Doom3--and my Gateway with the ATI X1900XTX Crossfire 512MB card hasn't arrived yet--I can see the limitations of the graphics engine. The inanimate objects and the demons looks good, but the people look rather angular. And where the game sometimes got "stuttery" with the CRT, most of that is gone.

Plus it doesn't have those cheap ass little 1watt speakers that are utterly worthless.

The directions in the "Quick Start" guide left something to be desired :dunce: . They neglected to mention that one has to reboot the computer after connecting the monitor to the DVI port on the display card (in this case an ATI 9550 256MB). Once I did that, the image came right up as digital.

And XP supports in natively so I didn't even need to install the driver (the CD was a piece of shit julli-wallbash.gif, it would barely run in either of my burners; took five times before it would even load; eventually I managed to rip a copy with CloneCD and mount that on a virtual drive and install the driver that way, and pull the manuals off it).

The last thing, and this is embarassing :blush: , is that I can't figure out how to get it to swiveling/tilt 90 degrees. It has a range of 160, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it to work. I'll give their Questions like a call after the weekend to find out how.

I did tech support for Dell. Hence, I saw fuck up after fuck up after fuck up. Working in the TS dept is never going to endear you to the products of the company (in most cases).

Dell is cheaper that Gateway (in part because they use cheaper components). So when my wife wanted to get her bestfriend (for 25+ yrs) a computer for an Xmas present, I picked out a Dell barebones system for $410 total. I even dropped an extra 20 to get the machine the AMD equivalent of a P4 (AMD64 3200+, does this hyperthreading?)

lol yup, I quite like the look of the Dell stuff.

I also normally buy Dell machines for work, they're quite reasonably priced really!

Edited by Pain_Man

sorry, dont, but I don't understand the question. Why wouldn't one be able to get into the BIOS because one's using a DVI cable?

can you get into the bios with your samsung and dvi cable ?

I have samsung lcd for my 360,'s they also have dvi and vga for pc, whilst using dvi i cannot get into the bios of the computer i have it hooked up to, wondering if it is inherent with samsung or maybe gfx card dependant, i have no problem whilst using dsub (vga)

The Dell Blues

Bloody Dell!!

I knew something would be screwed up with this order.

My wife and I bought a computer for her best friend.

Despite confirming that it was a gift and that the shipping address was different from the billing address on the credit card, the dipshit salesperson fucked it up anyway. julli-agresiv2.gif

Luckily, last night I decided to take a look at the "official" invoice. And, of course, there it was: my address in the Ship To: space. :o

It was Dell; a screw up was inevitable. Also, the failed to send me an email telling me that the machine had shipped. And the UPS tracking number wasn't in the latter's system.

Only Tech Support is open 24/7 so I called them. The girl was nice, gave me a case number said she would follow through with Sales Monday am. But since UPS already has the machine, waiting that long was a no go.

Remembering "Chat" with CSRs, I found the page on Dell's website.

A ten minute chat with a (Subcontinental) Indian dude seems to have taken care of it. He emailed UPS with the new address.

Hopefully alls well now.

Otherwise, I'll be refusing to take delivery of that Dell computer and sending it back to them so they can pay to send it to Utah where it belongs in the first place.

Just have to hope that, at the end of the day, everything is: :thumbup:

But I'll be holding my breath until my wife's friend has the machine. This is the same company that sold Firewire digital camera/computer packages where the computers didn't have Firewire ports.

But they are the cheapest. Something tells me you probably got a better machine when Michael Dell was building them out of his dorm room in college. B)

I read the question too literally.

I didn't grasp that you meant you were unable to access the BIOS since you started using an LCD.

That's baffling to me. Oof the IB Gods can probably give an answer to that. I can't.

sorry, dont, but I don't understand the question. Why wouldn't one be able to get into the BIOS because one's using a DVI cable?

can you get into the bios with your samsung and dvi cable ?

I have samsung lcd for my 360,'s they also have dvi and vga for pc, whilst using dvi i cannot get into the bios of the computer i have it hooked up to, wondering if it is inherent with samsung or maybe gfx card dependant, i have no problem whilst using dsub (vga)

To tell you the truth I haven't tried.

I've got a VAIO. What brand do you have? Or did you build it yourself?

I take it you have no problem getting into bios at boot up whilst using DVI cable and your Samsung LCD.

I've gone around with companies shipping things and no tracking # what I found is once UPS picks it up its shipped as far as the company knows it then has to gett into the UPS system where they issue a # notify the company and then you get your notice a round about way of doing things .I expected the # to be issued when they pick it up and do paperwork, scan it, etc etc

Doubtless. Like most big companies, they're a big bureaucracy.

Which means the simplest exercises are, to use an old country saying, going 'round the mountain to piss next door.

The TSR I talked to at Dell called me back <!> to assure me that she was "on the case" and would contact sales first thing Monday morning. I'm going to do the same.

I'll ready left a rather stern email to the sales rep about the fuck up.

I just hope the email the Indian CSR sent to UPS makes it through the layers of bureaucracy and the right address gets slapped on the box.

The fact that it was not in their system, gives me hope--that and the fact its a holiday weekend for most of the country--gives me hope that someone will be on the ball and correct the screw up.

I've gone around with companies shipping things and no tracking # what I found is once UPS picks it up its shipped as far as the company knows it then has to gett into the UPS system where they issue a # notify the company and then you get your notice a round about way of doing things .I expected the # to be issued when they pick it up and do paperwork, scan it, etc etc

When I managing returns for a contract w/ Motorola (supercomputers were the item in question, tho' not the "Cray" kind), their shipping/receiving system was absolutely insane.

It was completely automated. If there was anything and I mean the slightest thing wrong with the goddamn shipping label or paperwork, they would send it back regardless of how important it was to their own operation!!

I had a really good relationship with my opposite number but it mattered not. If our S/R dept hosed it up, back it came. So we'd have to ship it out FedEx "Ass On Fire" mode (i.e. before 8:30AM the next day).

I dont care much for UPS I had a couple of instances where the tracking # showed it was at the station to be delivered in fact out on a truck for delivery but didn't come, on inquiry I got a pretty snotty "we gaurantee ground within 5 days we still have a day or 2 to deliver" ,it was on the f'n truck.The irony of this was I was a superintendant of a couple of buildings with about 100 units and took and signed for all their deliveries.I put a stop to accepting any packages from them and let the drivers come back for re delivery and let the tenants take it out on UPS .Pay backs a bitch :thumbup:

Pay backs a bitch :thumbup:

And sweet too.

Never really had problems with UPS. Although they did leave a new 320GB hdd just laying on my front porch w/o waiting for signature. If I were the type to take advantage, I could have claimed I never rec'd it and got another one on UPS' dime. Dumb driver.

When they delivered the monitor, DHL had me sign for it--thank God. UPS had better req. a signature for my PC when it gets here. Whereas they used to require signatures for everything no matter what it was, nowadays they hardly every wait. They ring the door bell and book. Almost as tho' they were playing julli-banneds.gif Knocking. (If you don't know the beginning of that phrase, I sure as hell ain't gonna tell ya. julli-pift.gif

Mom raised only one stupid child and he ain't typing this.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

--French proverb

I build all my computers, the only thing i did not build was the laptop I used to own.

I have 2 of the Samsung syncmaster 940mw I bought them specifically for me and my son to use on xbox 360.

They are a combination TV/Monitor though i will never use em for TV as analogue input and picture quality from UHF ant is or will be poor.

Even scart input is poor as is the composite in. Where it stands out is in 720p/1080i, (component) 1080p when i buy either VGA or dvi output cable for the 360,s component is not 1080p compatible.

Using VGA fro his PC is fine for bios, just dvi does not initialise in time for bios.

Just with you having a bought a Samsung i am curious to see if it is a little niggle with Sammy or gfx card dependant or a mixture of both.

I could build my own machines, tho the lack of a standard for mobo and case formfactors make it harder than it has to be.

Two reasons I don't: I've priced out a self-build vs buying it complete and the savings really is'nt enough, imo, to justify all the anoying labor.

Second, no warranty comes with a self-build. The warranty Gateway offers, especially the Idiot Insurance, is more than worth the cost (3 yrs on site service plus the Idiot Insurance was $169).

I spill a coke on it or my kid knocks it off the platform it's on and it's covered. That like. The price is so good, I may add the extra yr to it.

I build all my computers, the only thing i did not build was the laptop I used to own.

I have 2 of the Samsung syncmaster 940mw I bought them specifically for me and my son to use on xbox 360.

They are a combination TV/Monitor though i will never use em for TV as analogue input and picture quality from UHF ant is or will be poor.

Even scart input is poor as is the composite in. Where it stands out is in 720p/1080i, (component) 1080p when i buy either VGA or dvi output cable for the 360,s component is not 1080p compatible.

Using VGA fro his PC is fine for bios, just dvi does not initialise in time for bios.

Just with you having a bought a Samsung i am curious to see if it is a little niggle with Sammy or gfx card dependant or a mixture of both.

First time they went up my ass, somebody'd be going to the hospital and it wouldn't be me!

In most cities--in the US anyway--UPS trucks get a pass from the Meter Maids (what's male Meter Maid called? A Meter Dude?).

Not it New York City! I saw on a documentary: a driver left his truck in front on an office building and when he came back a meter maid was impounding his truck. She let him unload all the packages and pile them on the street to wait for another truck. But they towed his.

It's $500 cash-only fine to get the vehicle out of impound. It seems in NYC if you park where you shouldn't don't nobody catch a break.

UPS puts a lot of pressure on the drivers to make deliveries they're always up their asses to do more and more

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.