DVD Specification

blikkies

Hi

Can someone point me in the right direction please. I am looking for a site or literature which will provide info on the DVD specification. The forums on doom9 etc are good but only provide high level information. I would like to understand the complete dvd specification.

Thanks

You can get much of the info you want from the patent. Look it up.

What specifically are you interested in?

Regards

I'm looking for an in-depth description of the dvd structure including the IFO programming commands. I assume this is available in the expensive official dvd specification but us normal folk cannot get access to that unless one works for a dvd authoring firm

Hi,

I just want to share some notes regarding the unofficial DVD specifications at DVD-Replica. The complete official DVD specs include 4 major sections: 1) CSS encryption and authentication, 2) Media and Interface, 3) DVD File Structures and VM Commands, 4) Packaging and Mass Production.

Since we need the specifications to understand better how to author DVD, the unofficial specs covers only item 3 as mentioned above which is the most complex topic (due to incomplete/ambiguous definitions in the standard itself). Items 1 and 4 are skipped for obvious reasons (copyright/license infringement). Items 2 and 4 are probably having no value to a DVD author.

For newbies with no authoring experience, I am confident that the unofficial ebook is a better starting point than even the official specs.

I listed the references used to develop the ebook and tools on the website. All VM commands are verified with Scenarist. Scenarist is the only app that allows access to the full DVD specs. The program is costly and difficult to learn/use if one does not know the DVD specs.

Hope this clears up a few things. Thanks,

DVD-Replica

I must add that I have not purchased the ebook, but the stuff on DVD Replica is very useful and should suit the OPs needs. It also has some great free stuff like the VM command generator.

Maybe MrDVD can provide a book to evaluate (hint hint)?

Other stuff that is of great value includes Jim Taylor's and Ralph La Barge's works, and of course all the free stuff in the public domain - the patent, for one, the stuff at ECMA/OSTA and even the stuff at the DVD Forum.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.