Device Not Ready (Invalid Field in CDB) when backing up image of PS2 game

bybpow

Hi guys, 

I need some help. I'm backing up my media collection. I've backup BDs, DVDs and CDs. Now I'm doing the same with my PS2 games and PS3 games but with some specific PS2 games I'm having problems. In this post is about a specific game: When backing up the ISO the program "stops" with this error: "Device Not Ready (Invalid Field in CDB)". It doesn't happen in any other game and this same disc was backup by me 1 year ago.

Surfing the web people recommend updating the firmware. Done that. Also many say this is a problem with the drive but any other disc is backed up with no problem. 

Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by bybpow

In absence of a log, the initial guess I would make is the disc went bad.  It was fine a year ago when backed up but has since become partially unreadable.  You could try using a different drive to make sure.  Another probably sure fire way is if this PS2 game disc is a DVD.  If it's a DVD, then this test will work.  In File Explorer, try to copy and paste all the contents from the disc's root directory to a temporary location somewhere on an HDD.  If File Explorer copies all the contents, then the disc is most likely not bad.  If it fails, say it returns a CRC error, then it's either your drive or the disc that may have gone bad.  If this test does work, does not rule out a problem somewhere reading the disc structure, though.

When does this error pop up?  Immediately or after some portion of the disc has been read in?

Given that the PS2 doesn't appear capable of reading it anymore and the read error doesn't occur into shortly after reading starts, it appears that the disc is probably no longer fully readable.

I still have my original, first generation, fat model October 2000 PS2.  :) It still works, but I haven't played a game fully in it since 2014.

Yeah it seems the problem is in the disc. Sad. The disc seems unpolluted... Agh.

I tried what you said and when copying the DVD an error occurs: "Invalid MS-DOS function". So it is probably the disc. I'll buy another one. I think we can close this topic.

Thank you really much for your help.

Edited by bybpow

Hm, that's extremely odd to get an MS DOS error on copying files.  Unless you were in Command Prompt and used its COPY command.  Even then, "MS DOS" is an archaic term and no longer applies to current Windows.  I'd have expected a CRC error near the beginning, but getting any kind of error message on an attempt to copy reinforces my thoughts that the disc is probably no longer fully readable.

You're welcome!

Hi again,

I ordered a new copy but I found something weird about this. After reading what you said about your fat model I realize I have both the slim and fat models but I was doing tests only with the slim. I connected the fat PS2 and the disc is read but the slim does not read it. Shouldn't the PC also read it?

All drives behave differently. Some are better at reading problem discs than others.

What I didn’t like about your log was that the drive seemed to disconnect itself from the system once it ran into a sector it couldn’t read - that’s not good / normal.

Maybe it’s due to the controller it’s connected to or the drivers installed for said controller.

Is your PC drive also a slim model?  Slim models are rarely good.  There are, of course, some good slim model units, but most are trash.

The worst things that happened to the Playstation models were the creation of the slims.  I had a slim model PS2 I returned right away because it would play DVD's back with skips.

Hi again everyone,

I know its late but I got news and I think maybe somebody will find it helpful.

As I said I bought a new copy. It arrived and the copy went smoothly, no errors. So the problem may be on the disc. Now, as I also said my fat PS2 could read it but ImgBurn did something weird and even disconnected from the drive when an error occurred with this disc. This is all info we already knew.

Now:

I notice this disc and another one that is also making trouble are kind of different. The discs seems fine. When read by IB I noticed that it displays different speeds. Usually for PS2 games is x4 but these one has x3. I tried to copy with x3 or max speed but the problems occurred. I tried another app (Alcohol) and I did have a copy but it didn't worked in the emulator. After more thinking and testing I've manage to get a functional copy.

What a did:

In IB, I put these settings:

Instead of x3, I used x5. I don't know why but the app ignore this slowest setting. If I use x3, it would start ripping at more speed (usually x6, x7, etc.) and I found that strange. When I used x5 this didn't happen. It stood always in a slow speed never faster than x5. I also checked "Ignore Read Error" and "Software Retries" to 1. After all this, I had a ISO with no errors or disconnections. The final ISO worked.

I know read speed should not matter but for these type of PS2 games it seems to affect. 

Does this make sense to you guys?

Edited by bybpow

The drive actually has complete control over the read speed. You, via ImgBurn, can ask the drive to read at whatever speed you like, but it's down to the drive to accept it and actually read at that speed. Sometimes the speeds might be constant over the entire disc surface, others might gradually ramp up over the surface - 2 different ways of working - CLV and CAV (constant linear velolicy and constant angular velocity).

If your drive doesn't have any problem reading the disc, the settings for 'Ignore Read Errors' and 'Software Retries' don't make a difference. They're there for when the drive *does* run into problems with it.

As for 'ImgBurn did something weird and even disconnected from the drive'... being able to see the log would have been useful here. The drive may vanish from Windows and that gets mentioned in ImgBurn's log. Again, the program is at the mercy of the drive (and Windows) here.

I'm glad you've finally managed to produce an error free image of your disc. :)

Maybe I understood that wrong but I didn't intend to blame IB for the problems. I'm just asking question as I'm new to this and want to learn why things like this could happen. The drive does seem to have a problem reading the disc and disconnects but only in case that the speed is x3 or max (as far as I've try). If the speed is x5, no problem.

The log is the same that I sent. But I don't think is really helpful, as @lightinguk said:

On 1/25/2022 at 10:32 AM, LIGHTNING UK! said:

All drives behave differently. Some are better at reading problem discs than others.

What I didn’t like about your log was that the drive seemed to disconnect itself from the system once it ran into a sector it couldn’t read - that’s not good / normal.

Maybe it’s due to the controller it’s connected to or the drivers installed for said controller.

Edited by bybpow

It's ok, I know you weren't putting blame anywhere, I was just explaining how these things (drives) actually work :)

From what you've said, it seems as though any read error will cause your drive to disconnect. It's probably a 'bus timeout / reset', but it still shouldn't really be happening. It would make dealing with a problem disc an absolute nightmare!

Can I ask you to right click on the drive selection drop down list and pick 'Family Tree', close the box that pops up and then copy + paste everything from the log window please? Maybe we can improve things for you so it doesn't misbehave in future when a read error occurs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.