Disk Error on Magnavox DVD Player (DVD plays fine on Windows)

dvddummy

Hello,

I have been lost IN THE WEEDS OF SO MANY DVD MAKING PROGRAMS I'M NUT'S .... and wanted to know if anyone will help me?

i HAVE USED IMGBURN TO BUILD ISO FILES BEFORE OF MY .MP4 (HEVC) VIDEOS, THEY PLAYBACK PERFECTLY WITH VLC MEDIA PLAYER ON WINDOWS 10 AND MY MAGNAVOX VHS/DVD RECORDER.

SO FAR I SOMEHOW CREATED AN ISO FOR EACH OF THREE OTHER VIDEOS THAT WORKED IN MY MAGNAVOX AND MY WINDOWS 10 PC AND OTHER PEOPLES DVD PLAYERS. I MAKE MASTER DVDS FOR OUR ORGANIZATION.

THEN THE FLOOR DROPPED OUT!!!

IMGBURN MAKES THEM FROM THE MP4 (HEVC 4K UHD) VIDEOS I CREATE WITH ADOBE PREMIERE PRO CREATIVE CLOUD ON WINDOWS INTO AN ISO FILE, THEN I WRITE THE ISO TO THE SAME DVD DRIVE AS 3 TIMES BEFORE AND WHEN I TEST THE DVD IT WORKS ON WINDOWS AND NOT ON MAGNAVOX DVD PLAYER.. . . .. ...  .. . . ... . 

IMGBURN SAVES YOUR LAST CHOICES ON THE (BUILD SCREEN) OPTIONS IN CREATING AN ISO FILE AND I MUST OF WRECKED SOMETHING SOMEWHERE SINCE I LOOKED AT SOME OPTIONS AND TRIED A FEW AND NOW NOTHING WORKS ON DVD PLAYER.  disk error msg from MAGNAVOX DVD PLAYER.

I tried uninstalling the ImgBurn software and re-installed and BOOM same result, plays perfectly on windows 10, disk error msg while trying to load on Magnavox.

I saw the first two guides on this forum and the size of what I dont know about this process is H U G E, i'm DVDDUMMY and bought that all you gotta do is ...

Apparently their is so much more to making a DVD....

HELP

If you're feeding MP4 files into ImgBurn, that's what you'll end up with on the disc - because ImgBurn isn't a conversion / authoring tool.

Are you sure your *working* discs only just have MP4 files on them?

A DVD player would normally require a proper set of DVD Video files - made up of IFO/VOB/BUP files in a VIDEO_TS folder. Anything other than that will be hit and miss in standalone players.

That would be my first check.  Make sure you've actually got a VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD you're trying to play in a DVD player.  If you're just burning .MP4 to disc without converting first, most DVD players won't play the disc.  However, if you have a DVD player that supports playing container files like MP4 from disc, then it would play fine on that player, but not on most other players.  Windows doesn't care because it can natively handle containers with many different kinds of software, such as VLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all who read and or reply,

Thank you for the replies above!

I believe this clarifies that I used the ImgBurn program to create a .iso as input to making a DVD not just an .mp4.

I did not specify the .mp4 as input

I used the ImgBurn program to "Create image file from files/folders" from the EZ picker screen

I selected a single .mp4 file as input and pointed to a directory where it created an .iso file for me

Then I used the ImgBurn program to "Write image file to disc" from the EZ picker screen

I selected the individual .iso file created above and pointed the output to one of my DVD drives with a blank DVD-R loaded and waiting:

Currently ImgBurn makes me a DVD which plays in windows 10 and gets a disk error in the Magnavox DVD Player when loading: it previously made 3 other videos to DVD using the same process as three that worked:

PLEASE read the following:

I have made three other videos that play on both DVD and Windows 10 using the same process as above

They were exported from Adobe Premiere Pro Creative Cloud as .mp4 -- which I exported 4K UHD (3840x2160) @ 23.976fps data rate is variable and set to 2.75Mbps .mp4.

These first three I made like this were made identical to my latest attempts???

Yet the first three load on windows 10 and show "DVD //" when starting to play on windows 10 AND they play perfectly in the magnavox and other DVD players.

The latest video is made the same, and I have used .iso created as input by the "Create ..." as input to the "Write ..." process, same as first 3 but somehow now the ImgBurn file only works on Windows 10 and not on the Magnavox. Magnavox get a disk error.

I uninstalled and re-installed ImgBurn hoping that I had messed up the options by looking around in the program, but it didn't help:

I am new to this and was shocked when I was able to make .iso files from .mp4 so easily and then write the .iso to the DVD and it worked the first 3 times, now I believe that some setting got changed when I went and looked thru the options, and that ImgBurn does save the changes even after a un-install on windows and re-install ImgBurn.

Can someone point me to the newbie documentation for making a .mp4 to a .iso then burning the .iso to a DVD.

Respectfully

To all I wanted to say that the above message I watched multiple videos from YouTubers on ImgBurn and they all showed the process of using EZ Picker and selecting my video.mp4 as input to "Create..." and a directory as it's output option to create the video.iso in.

Then I used the video.iso as input to "Write..."  and a blank DVD -R in the drive selected.

This process worked perfectly three times for three different videos (all were same resolution and formatted .mp4's:

All three are 4K and play perfectly on the Magnavox DVD and Windows 10 PC

Now same software same input different results

Thanks 

Well, the initial problem should still remain.  Unless you convert the MP4 to VIDEO_TS, a DVD player won't play it.  Unless your Magnavox does support playing MP4 as a native format, which most DVD players don't.  That would explain why it plays in Windows but not on a DVD player.  Windows natively supports MP4, but most DVD players don't.

If you do somehow have a DVD player that plays MP4 files from a DVD, then the next step would be to post the log of one of these DVD's you burned that isn't playing in your Magnavox player.  You could be using different DVD discs, like CMC's, which may not read on the Magnavox because they're junk and have high compatibility read failure rates.  Under Help, you'll find ImgBurn logs.  Just open the .LOG file and find one of these burns that didn't play.  Post the entire log, both the creation of the .ISO and the burning of the ISO to DVD.

On 2/2/2022 at 6:48 PM, LIGHTNING UK! said:

If you're feeding MP4 files into ImgBurn, that's what you'll end up with on the disc - because ImgBurn isn't a conversion / authoring tool.

Are you sure your *working* discs only just have MP4 files on them?

A DVD player would normally require a proper set of DVD Video files - made up of IFO/VOB/BUP files in a VIDEO_TS folder. Anything other than that will be hit and miss in standalone players.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:16 PM, dvddummy said:

To all I wanted to say that the above message I watched multiple videos from YouTubers on ImgBurn and they all showed the process of using EZ Picker and selecting my video.mp4 as input to "Create..." and a directory as it's output option to create the video.iso in.

Then I used the video.iso as input to "Write..."  and a blank DVD -R in the drive selected.

This process worked perfectly three times for three different videos (all were same resolution and formatted .mp4's:

All three are 4K and play perfectly on the Magnavox DVD and Windows 10 PC

Now same software same input different results

Thanks 

Thank You ALL,

I clarified above that I DID NOT feed .mp4's directly into the "Write files/folders to disc" --->BUILD (DEVICE). 

I created .iso files from .mp4 files using "Create image file from files/folders" --->BUILD (IMAGE FILE)

Then I used "Write image file to disc" ---> WRITE selecting the .iso files as input.

I have 3 videos that I created 3 DVD's with using this process. All 3 worked on my DVD player / TV and on my Windows 10 PC.

Then I changed something somewhere while looking at options and boom the process did not work any more.

I used "Disc Layout Editor" to pick the source .iso file and it showed CD specifications so I unchecked the box "AUTOMATIC TARGET MEDIA" and selected DVD-R which matches my media and my hardware.  I THOUGHT I HAD THE SETTING TO CORRECT but it still makes a DVD that works on PC and NOT the DVD player

NOW

I have setup two different DVD players on the TV and they both play my earlier videos correctly.

I was wondering why I only watched three other YouTube videos before I started using imgburn,  but the process was they way they taught it on YouTube and it worked first three times.

Make an .mp4 into .iso, build a DVD using the .iso as input

I appreciate the help but I think I polluted the options somehow.

I uninstalled iMGbURN off of my windows 10 PC and reinstalled to try to get the settings back that worked.

I examined the DVD's that I made that worked and they show as UDF (File System), since then I have tried making ISO 9660/UDF, UDF (only), ISO 9660 only, and Joliet (only) still not working as the first three did.

Finally I will read the guides and will eventually find out how to do make a DVD from an .iso reliably.  Then someday I when I find out what I did differently I will post what it was.

PLEASE NO MORE REPLIES THAT TELL ME NOT TO FEED .MP4 INTO BUILD DVD  I NEVER DID THAT

Thanks

My apology for believing this video from YouTube as the way to make .mp4 to .iso to DVD.  I thought the YouTube video taught me that EITHER an .iso or VIDEO_TS files

I will watch again and see if the video actually saya only make a DVD from VIDEO_TS not .iso.

Well, even if you created an ISO, you just wrote MP4 to ISO then burned that ISO to disc which effectively wrote that MP4 to disc.  Without any conversion, the only way your DVD player could have played the MP4's is if it natively supports playback of MP4.  Unless you used something to create a VIDEO_TS from the MP4, the only way your DVD player could have played the MP4's is if it natively supports MP4.

Maybe a screen shot of the root directory in File Explorer of one of these DVD's that plays on your DVD player would better explain to me what's going on.

Thanks for the reply about creating an .iso is actually .mp4 I see you are right and I went back to youtube to rewatch the video that I followed before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-v4ojCVSBI&t=99s

I will go back to start.  I know nothing about how to do make DVD's with either .iso or Video_TS

Do you know a good starting guide to learn from??

Depends on what you're trying to do.  .ISO implies you already have an ISO of a DVD Video disc which will play on a DVD player.  That's a different methodology than creating a VIDEO_TS, which ImgBurn can't do.  I can provide tutorials for burning ISO's, but there are many ways to create a VIDEO_TS.  I use paid software, so unless you have a license for what I use, I couldn't tell you how to do it any other way than I know how.  What ImgBurn can do is create a DVD Video disc ISO with a VIDEO_TS, but it cannot create a DVD Video compliant VIDEO_TS for you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.