Problem burning single or dual-layer discs

SAUZ

I keep seeing this error:
W 18:43:33 Set L0 Data Zone Capacity Failed! - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error

I'm not very familiar with this type of technology, but from what I understand, the drive is testing a write and stopping after the test is failed.

I do not have space in my PC for an internal disc drive, so I purchased this USB one from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TS5SHHY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I'm going to assume this drive is comically low-quality trash, and that I should probably be embarrassed, but I'm still holding out hope that this can still somehow be salvaged. This was not easy for me to afford.
I'm using verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL discs, and my current task is burning legally obtained classic Xbox disc images to these DVDs as backups for my modded Xbox.

This happens with music and video files on single-layer discs as well, and writing doesn't work in any other burning software.

If there's truly nothing I can do, please recommend what drive I should get. I want a drive that can "do it all" read/write-wise from single layer CDs all the way up to Dual-layer Blu-ray. Portability is not a concern, I'm fine with getting an enclosure for an internal drive if I must, I just don't want to encounter errors like this anymore. I'm willing to really shell-out for one if I have to.

ImgBurn.log

Edited by SAUZ

A few things.  I've never heard of an LG SP60NB50 before.  The most likely reason you're getting failures is 2 fold.  First, it's a slim model and most slim models are trash.  Also, I've never heard of this Wihool who made the drive you're using, so it's most likely, given its name, Chinese junk.

I would recommend you get an internal half height BD burner and put it in an enclosure.  I recommend the LG WH16NS60 in a VanTech USB 3.0 enclosure.  That combination is the best of what is unfortunately a bad situation in terms of the available choices.  It handles everything I throw at it, though I've never tried BD-R DL or higher before.  Just BD-RE DL.  Also, LG's aren't the best readers, so you will encounter the odd disc the NS60 can't read.  Which is why I got a Verbatim USB BD burner off of Amazon.com.  I've not tested its write capabilities.  I only use it for reading.

You may be tempted to get the LG WH16NS40 because it's cheaper and you may not need Ultra HD BD 4k capability.  Don't.  The NS40 does not properly write to BD DL media.  You may be tempted to get a USB 2.x enclosure for the NS60 because it's cheaper.  Don't.  BD drives need USB 3.x speed to properly maintain communication speed with the drive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.