Burning an Audio CD with a .cue file and not getting the right results

FMY

I've wasted several CD-Rs trying to burn a compilation CD in my desired track order. Each track is designated in numerical order, and also in the metadata. I prepared a .cue sheet according to existing tutorials for older versions of ImgBurn (my version is 2.5.8.0, from before malware infested the program).

I still get tracks in alphabetical order; yes, I am trying to burn an audio CD. Do I need to convert all the tracks to another format, such as .wav, to make the .cue file work properly?

The solution is probably some bone-dumb simple thing, but ImgBurn is, like so many programs of the last decade, so over-ornate that it's hard to use. The obvious is not made obvious.

Any friendly, non-surly advice is greatly welcomed.

Thank you.

PS: the guide I've tried and failed with is the 2007 guide posted on this site. I found a slightly newer guide on another forum, but it too did not work, even tho I followed it to the letter. Same results: alphabetical order by title, not numerical order by designated number. There's got to be a way to do this. Windows Media Player is useless for making a compilation CD and Windows 10 has disabled one's ability to burn an audio CD by simply inserting a blank disc and adding tracks. Computers were once so much easier to use. Those days are long gone. 

If you've followed the Audio CD guide and created + burnt the CUE file, your tracks are absolutely in the order you put them in. There's no such thing as 'alphabetical' when it comes to CD-DA discs because there's no file system to begin with.

This is the guide you should be following:

The track list would be "alphabetical" if you imported a list of files from a folder.  If there's more than 1 added at a time, they're added in order.  Which in the case of a list of files in a folder, they would be listed alphabetically in the folder.  If you don't want them added alphabetically, then add the files one at a time to the CUE sheet in the desired order you want them to play on the CD.

Alternatively, you can add all the files at once and use the blue up and down arrows on the right side to move tracks into the order you want them to play.  Be aware the up and down arrows will NOT work IF you add more running time than a CD can play.

Are you saying the order your CUE sheet displays is NOT the order the tracks play in on the burned CD-R?  If so, is this on BOTH a standalone CD player AND when you play it on your PC?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.