Linux port suggestion

Mike77imgb

While I don't particularly use Linux, unless it's absolutely necessary, I've always had a pet peeve of not getting any decent disc writer on Linux. 

Is there any particular way the team could develop a Linux port, instead of having to use Wine? (which I've tried, and got stuck on the splash screen)

My first post on this site should sum things up for you ;)

but in regards to ImgBurn 'got stuck at the splash screen' simply boils down to you need to change Wine from it's default of Windows 7 mode to Windows XP mode (i.e. through 'Configure Wine' in your Linux OS's menu, or use 'winecfg' from terminal) and it will no longer get stuck on the splash screen and will start up. but depending on what Wine version your using you may have to use the 'SPTI' option in ImgBurn's settings for it to see your CD/DVD burners (see my link above for more info). but basically... Wine v5 or newer (currently Wine v7 is the newest) requires you to use 'SPTI' in ImgBurn's settings. but if your using Wine v4 or older you don't need to use that option on ImgBurn as it's default ASPI mode will detect your CD/DVD drives. but if you use say Wine v2.0.5 with ImgBurn you won't even have to change from Windows 7 to Windows XP since it defaults to Windows XP right off the start (although, like I talked about in that link, the fonts look a bit weird compared to say Wine v4.0.4 which looks a bit better although Wine v2.0.5 will still work as I briefly played with Wine v2.0.5 through PlayOnLinux).

p.s. but as far as a native Linux burning program... Xfburn (sudo apt install xfburn) is a pretty good basic burning program on Linux (as it does basic data, audio CD, and can burn ISO's) as it's what I was using until I learned more details on how to get ImgBurn working. but I do notice in regards to Xfburn, if it seems to not work at times, click the 'refresh' icon and it will likely cure it not seeing your burner or starting a burn etc. but if you want to overburn a audio CD for example Xfburn won't do that as, playing around a bit a while ago, 'cdrecord' works (i.e. sudo apt install wodim) as pretty much the exact command I used was "cdrecord dev=/dev/sr0 -v -overburn -dao -pad -audio /location/to/wavfiles/*.wav" ; as you can see I used wav files as these will just work as you don't have to worry about conversion. but if you need to convert I suggest using Foobar2000, which is one of the major reasons I got Wine installed since it's flat out better than any native Linux music player since it plays audio well and can convert between audio formats well like from my original FLAC files back to WAV etc. but in regards to Foobar2000 I suggest setting it up through PlayOnLinux using '6.13-staging' version of Wine.

Edited by ThaCrip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.