ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 works on Linux (Mint v20.x), here is how...

ThaCrip

I am running Linux Mint v20.x and I figured I would make a account here to post this info since it will likely be of big help for someone wanting to run ImgBurn here in March 2022 on a Linux system (and will likely continue to work into the future to, especially assuming PlayOnLinux continues to work with future versions of Linux Mint).

the short answer is... install PlayOnLinux (sudo apt install playonlinux), then through PlayOnLinux install Wine v4.0.4 (I use 64bit (amd64)), configure Wine so it's using Windows XP mode, then ImgBurn will work as expected (and detect your CD/DVD drives with it's default ASPI mode). NOTE: everything is configured here through a GUI (graphic user interface) with the exception of the initial 'sudo apt install playonlinux' command from the terminal, which should be easier for novices (and not to mention people like clicking stuff instead of typing ;) ). NOTE: for more details on setup/configuration see "TIP #1" and "TIP #2" etc below!

once your done you can simply load ImgBurn from the shortcut it creates on the desktop, or from within the PlayOnLinux program itself. PlayOnLinux does not need to be running for ImgBurn to work (although you run PlayOnLinux during initial setup/configuration of ImgBurn) as it's easiest to simply load ImgBurn from the desktop icon it creates as at this point it's works just like it does on Windows (as I was recently playing with ImgBurn and overburning a standard audio CD on a CD-RW disc etc and it worked). NOTE: PlayOnLinux is separate from your standard system Wine installation. so even if your using the standard Wine installation (i.e. https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu ; after those six steps are done issue 'sudo apt install wine-desktop-files' which gives you the proper Wine entries on the Mint menu) and something gets out of whack, it won't effect your PlayOnLinux setup with ImgBurn since it's running in it's own what I think is referred to as a 'wine prefix', or 'virtual drive' one could say which people are probably a bit more familiar with that term.

TIP #1: for installing Wine v4.0.4 in PlayOnLinux... "Tools > Manage Wine Versions > Wine versions (amd64)" then scroll down to "4.0.4", left click it so it's highlighted, then click the ">" and it will download Wine v4.0.4 etc. then you can close out of this.

TIP #2: while you can probably install ImgBurn using PlayOnLinux's "Install a program" from it's main menu, I typically do everything I need to from the 'Configure' window from the main PlayOnLinux menu... so from the 'PlayOnLinux Configuration' window it will probably have 'default' highlighted already, click 'New' then click next etc and you will see 'What kind of virtual drive to you want to create' screen and I select '64 bits windows installation'. then on next screen you should see the "4.0.4" (if not, do "TIP #1" above first!). then on next screen you should see it ask you 'Choose the name of the virtual drive' and I just call it 'ImgBurn' (for example), then click next and it will probably do some automatic configuration stuff and then ask you to install 'Mono' and 'Gecko' which you just CANCEL out of those (and everytime you see them during installation as they are not needed for ImgBurn to work). now you will be back on the 'PlayOnLinux configuration' screen and then simply left click the 'ImgBurn' (in top left corner area of that window) and to the right of that you will see tabs "General / Wine / Install components / Display / Miscellaneous", we are only going to use General/Wine/Miscellaneous tabs to get ImgBurn working. but anyways, click the 'Wine' tab, then click 'Configure Wine' and after a few seconds you should see a 'Wine Configuration' screen popup with the 'Applications' tab already selected. but where it shows 'Windows Version: Windows 7' you want to change the 'Windows 7' to 'Windows XP' then click 'OK'. now back on the 'PlayOnLinux Configuration' screen click the 'Miscellaneous' tab you will see 'Run a .exe in this virtual drive', click this and guide it to wherever you downloaded your ImgBurn installer exe file to and proceed to install it like you typically would. after that done, back on the 'PlayOnLinux Configuration' window click the 'General' tab and then click the "Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive" which after a brief bit of time should find 'imgburn.exe', select this and it will basically make a ImgBurn shortcut on your desktop. your basically done and can completely close the PlayOnLinux program now and you simply run the ImgBurn shortcut from the desktop and ImgBurn should work as expected. NOTE: if you see any Mono/Gecko popups during initial loading of ImgBurn, just 'cancel' out of it and in the future when you load ImgBurn it will just load up ImgBurn like you would normally expect and should not nag you about Mono/Gecko stuff anymore.

NOTE: newer versions of Wine (Wine v5 series or newer) will usually work to but ImgBurn won't detect your CD/DVD burners in it's default state and requires you do the following in ImgBurn to get it working... 'Tools > Settings > I/O', then select 'SPTI - Microsoft' and where it says 'SPTI - Device Enumeration Method' I suggest changing that to 'Device Interface' and after you press OK and return to the main ImgBurn window you will now see it shows that your CD/DVD burners are now detected in the 'ImgBurn Log' window. but it's better to just use Wine v4 series if possible since it's probably a bit more proper and you won't have to use the SPTI stuff. also, one can install Wine v2.0.5 for example, as if you do this, you won't have to change Wine from Windows 7 back to Windows XP mode since it's Windows XP mode by default. but ImgBurn's fonts look a bit weird, so I suggest just using Wine v4.0.4 and change it from the default of Windows 7 mode to Windows XP mode. because if you try to load ImgBurn with Wine in it's default Windows 7 mode it will hang at the ImgBurn loading screen and simply won't work.

NOTE: if a person prefers to use ImgBurn with the standard Wine installation on Linux Mint v20.x through the repositories, which I think is Wine v5 series, you would simply issue "apt install wine-installer" from the terminal (which is how the Linux Mint team suggests installing the system installed Wine) but, if I recall correctly, this does not support opening .exe files through the file manager to install them. but a quick tip that should give you the gist of it is to issue "wine /location/to/imgburn/installer/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe" (this is a example as you need to adjust that to the location of your ImgBurn exe accordingly) and it should install ImgBurn and give you a menu entry in the 'Wine' menu entry. then you run the 'Wine > Configure Wine' and on 'Applications' tab with the 'default settings' highlighted you can change 'Windows Version: Windows 7' to 'Windows XP' and click OK, OR if you want to leave your system Wine installation in it's default Windows 7 mode for other programs and still want to use ImgBurn, since it requires Windows XP mode, you can click the 'Add application' then guide it to the "ImgBurn.exe" in the "Program files (x86)" folder and click OK. but when you load ImgBurn it won't see any of your CD/DVD burners but you simply do that 'SPTI' tweak that I mentioned in the 'NOTE:' above and it will work well enough) ; but with all of this said, I suggest using PlayOnLinux instead as it's easy enough and should work reliably and I personally think it's better to use the default ASPI over having to change to SPTI for drive detection.

NOTE (but people likely won't bother with this since it's more difficult for no real reason): I am aware one can create their own Wine prefixes (so instead of saving ones Wine configuration to the default ".wine" in ones Home folder, you could do something like ".ImgBurn") through command line but I think people prefer easier in general. but since I already typed a novel so far I might as well post the gist of these commands if you want to try this method from your system installed Wine...

1)Install ImgBurn to it's own Wine prefix (I am assuming the ImgBurn installer exe is in the root of ones home folder)...

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.ImgBurn wine "$HOME/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe"

2)Configure Wine to use Windows XP mode...

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.ImgBurn winecfg

3)Run ImgBurn and burn your CD/DVD's...

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.ImgBurn wine "$HOME/.ImgBurn/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/ImgBurn/ImgBurn.exe"

you will obviously have to set ImgBurn to SPTI mode etc like I mentioned before though since on using the more 'official' method the Linux Mint team recommends to install Wine gives you Wine v5 series (at least the last I checked on Linux Mint v20.x) which does not work as well with ImgBurn by default like the Wine 4 series does.

p.s. I suggest getting ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 from the MajorGeeks website since it does not contain any junk in the installer. the sha-256 hash of that file is... "49aa06eaffe431f05687109fee25f66781abbe1108f3f8ca78c79bdec8753420" (and is 3,101,913 bytes in size) ; to check sha256 hash of a file on Linux from terminal you issue "sha256sum SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe" (it's case sensitive so whatever your ImgBurn is named as it's got to be precise with that command in the terminal) and I am assuming you got the ImgBurn exe file in the root of your home directory otherwise you need to type the precise location to it for it to check the hash.

==================================================================

Here is a screenshot I took of ImgBurn running on my Linux Mint v20.3-Xfce installation...

Screenshot_2022-03-13_09-29-25.png

Edited by ThaCrip

UPDATE: it's possible one may have to switch from ASPI to SPTI for optimal function of ImgBurn on Linux through Wine. but here is the basic 'official' guide on ASPI/SPTI setup under the "I/O" section of this link...

so if anyone has issues with ASPI you can try the SPTI variations etc. but given my experience so far with ImgBurn on Wine, if ASPI is shot for whatever reason or acts up, I suggest trying 'Microsoft - SPTI' paired with 'SPTI - Device Enumeration Method' set to either 'Device Interface' or 'Drive Letter'. because when I try "Device Class" it throws a couple of errors (see attached screenshot below as both error screens are same with the exception of a different drive letter) but I cancel out of both and it 'seems' okay after that (although I never directly tried a test burn etc after this point but I doubt ill need to). but if any of that acts up you can always try different versions of Wine (like say Wine v2.0.5 or a early v5 or v6 series etc), but I suggest starting with v4.0.4 through PlayOnLinux.

but here is the screenshot of the small error (which is two screens like this that look the same except drive letter is changed on 2nd error screen) when SPTI is set to 'Device Class' (although I just 'cancel' out of those error screens, and at least without directly testing, it seems to be ok after that (or just use Device Interface or Drive Letter and you don't get this temporary error))...

Screenshot_2022-03-15_11-36-36.png

UPDATE: after playing around a moment ago with a old 'Memorex 10x 700MB/80min CD-RW' disc (probably from early-to-mid 2000's) on my Sony Optiarc 7240s and Lite-On iHAS324B burners (and even a much older Lite-On 24102b from Dec 2001 on another PC), in short, I am starting to think SPTI mode (I was using SPTI paired with 'Drive Letter' in my test) 'might' be overall a better option than ASPI, at least on my system(s) running Linux Mint v20.3-Xfce with PlayOnLinux using 64bit Wine v4.0.4 with ImgBurn. but it's possible yours may differ as even my results are nothing super clear cut. but good news is when I do have the issues it seems to be pretty much in relation to 'read', not so much with 'write'. but point being, if you have trouble with one, try the other ;) ; read on for more info...

the following is a overburn of a standard AUDIO CD (on that disc mentioned above) to 81:08:03 (so 81min08sec)...

ImgBurn in default ASPI mode (burned on Lite-On iHAS324B at 10x)...

---ImgBurn verify on iHAS324B = cannot get past initial track scan. so basically fails during track scan on ImgBurn but it does not throw any errors. but it will likely stay here indefinitely with drive light flashing etc like it's trying to do something.

---ImgBurn verify on 7240s = cannot get past initial track scan. so pretty much same results as the iHAS324B drive above, which is pretty much failure.

ImgBurn in default ASPI mode (burned on 7240s at 10x)...

---ImgBurn verify on 7240s = cannot get past initial track scan (gets stuck at... "Analyzing Tracks... (Session 1, Track 7)").

---ImgBurn verify on iHAS324B = success (reads disc at a full speed with no slow down)

ImgBurn in SPTI paired with 'Drive Letter' mode (burned on iHAS324B at 10x)...

---ImgBurn verify on iHAS324B = success (but it does slow down with reading data around Track 14-15 (there is 20 tracks in total))

---ImgBurn verify on 7240s = failed (it also slows down similar to iHAS324B, but failed on Track 19 (track 20 is the overburned area) with a read error (see attached picture))

ImgBurn in SPTI paired with 'Drive Letter' mode (burned on 7240s at 10x)...

---ImgBurn verify on 7240s = success (there was no slow down during 'verify' process either as the disc was spinning fast the entire time)

---ImgBurn verify on iHAS324B = success (like the 7240s drive, there was no slow down during 'verify' process as disc was spinning fast the entire time)

ImgBurn in ASPI (burned on Lite-On 24102b (Dec 2001 mfg date) at 10x (which is in my backup computer (ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard)))...

---ImgBurn verify on 24102b = success (read speed seems to consistently stay in the 5.6-7x or so range as you can hear it tries to speed up occasionally and then immediately shifts back to about 5.6x or so and slowly climbs back to about 7x before doing the attempted speed up only to go back to 5.6x or so and does this for roughly half of the disc but later into the disc it speeds up 10-14x etc. but this does not slow down too heavily unlike some of the other testing I did where it was 1-2x etc with 7240s/iHAS324B drives on that test listed above)

ImgBurn in SPTI paired with 'Drive Letter' mode (burned on Lite-On 24102b (Dec 2001 mfg date) at 10x)...

---ImgBurn verify on 24102b = success (read speed seems to kick into a higher read speed (14x) a bit earlier into the verify process than it did with ASPI mode, off the top of my head)

---ImgBurn verify on 7240s (in ASPI mode) = success (read speed high, no slow down)

---ImgBurn verify on 7240s (in SPTI mode) = success (but read speed is not consistently high like it was on ASPI mode read)

---ImgBurn verify on iHAS324B (in ASPI mode) = success (read speed high, no slow down)

---ImgBurn verify on iHAS324B (in SPTI mode) = success (read speed high, no slow down)

NOTE: I used the exact same CD-RW disc (Memorex 10x 700MB/80min CD-RW) in all of my testing here! ; without checking... I think my 7240s drive is made in about 2009 and the iHAS324B is about 2011.

NOTE: the CD-RW I am using in the testing above does have some minor scuffs/scratches but nothing I would consider a problem.

NOTE: as for the burning process in the testing above... basically all worked either without errors at all, or minimal ones that don't really matter given my past experience overburning on a CD-R successfully. basically stuff like the following...

I 11:04:44 Writing Track 20 of 20... (AUDIO/2352, WAVE, LBA: 354240 - 364952)
I 11:04:58 Synchronising Cache...
W 11:05:06 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (0/3) - Write Error
W 11:05:08 Synchronise Cache Failed! - Reason: Write Error
W 11:05:08 Retrying (1 of 3)...
I 11:05:09 Exporting Graph Data...
etc
I 11:05:09 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:08:49

that occurred on both ASPI and SPTI on the Lite-On 24102b burner (Dec 2001 mfg date) on my old PC, which I have seen here and there in the past when overburning and did not have a problem with the burned disc. because I noticed a while ago when overburning too far on a different CD-RW disc there is a different error screen and it's basically during the actual sectors writing etc, in which case this one will obviously fail since we ran out of write space since I think in that test,  if I recall correctly, it was like overburning around 3 minutes on a 74min CD-RW disc as I think I was into the 77min+ range when obvious problems occurred. but like I said before... if your going to overburn a music CD to be fairly safe, don't overburn by more than around 1minute over the CD's true official capacity (which is shown in ImgBurn).

NOTE: I also noticed "W 11:59:04 DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_STORAGE_MCN_CONTROL) Failed! - Media change notification has NOT been disabled." when in SPTI mode here and there. but, as far as I can tell, is not a real problem.

with all of that said... I suspect CD-R won't be as picky as CD-RW as I would generally expect less problems with those on your typical burner vs a CD-RW disc (and the CD-RW disc I am using in this test is pretty old and quality of disc is probably not high which may be a factor(?)). so I guess it's possible whether one uses ASPI or SPTI it 'might' not matter much when using non RW media (like CD-R or DVD-R or DVD+R etc) . still, given my limited testing here, SPTI 'might' be less picky and higher chance of success overall, at least based on my main PC testing here with those handful of burners. so ill probably continue to use SPTI mode although ASPI might still work well enough, since like I said, the problems seem to be mainly in reading, not writing straight up. and... I suspect if I was using CD-R the disc will probably read back fine regardless of ASPI or SPTI modes.

hell, I suspect it's possible different Wine versions may react slightly differently with this ASPI/SPTI stuff to. but at least I have given people enough info on what to do to get it working on Linux (especially Linux Mint v20.x series (and probably other Ubuntu based Linux OS's to)).

but here is the attached screenshot from the burn on iHAS324B but failed read on 7240s drive...

Screenshot_2022-03-19_09-53-35.png

Edited by ThaCrip

UPDATE: in short, while the following issue most likely won't effect most people who are on Linux using ImgBurn (since you will likely be using standard FLAC/WAV files), so you can continue to use older versions of Wine (v4.0.4, or v2.0.5 etc) through PlayOnLinux like I suggested in the topic so you can use ASPI or SPTI modes in ImgBurn, it can be helpful for those who use trimmed FLAC/WAV files through Audacity/Ocenaudio etc. basically if your having problems with ImgBurn decoding your FLAC/WAV files (I used ImgBurn to create a cue file which directly loads the WAV files) to a standard audio CD, with a DirectShow error basically, then keep on reading for more info...

basically I trimmed some lossless audio files (FLAC/WAV) using info from the following link... https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=99503#p345303 (since doing it this way supposedly does not change the audio stream, so it's identical to your original besides the stuff you removed as I removed some silence at beginning and end of a couple of songs) ; but once I did that, assuming you ONLY have PlayOnLinux installed with no system installed Wine (i.e. from winehq.org etc (currently v7 series is newest)), older installations of Wine (v4 series and older) simply will not work with ImgBurn to burn a standard audio CD (ImgBurn will have problems decoding your WAV files for burning to a standard audio CD which apparently is related to DirectShow given the error ImgBurn shows in the log) and you need to use Wine v5 series or newer (I tested v5.0.4 and v6.0.1) for it to work. but then your limited to only using SPTI mode in ImgBurn for it to see your CD/DVD burners. so if that's not a problem, your problem is solved.

but I noticed... if you have the standard system installation of Wine installed (i.e. from winehq.org), and you setup ImgBurn through PlayOnLinux like usual, that ImgBurn does seem to work with older versions of Wine now (I tried v4.0.4 and v2.0.5) with those trimmed WAV files. but... I think the reason why is the wine prefix configuration folder that PlayOnLinux creates, apparently it's importing a bunch of data to the 'windows' folder (in your particular wine prefix that PlayOnLinux made for use with ImgBurn) from the system installed version of Wine and I am assuming this fixes the DirectShow error issue since you can see it inflates the 'windows' folder (for example, the 'windows' folder located at this location... "/home/user/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/ImgBurn_205/drive_c/") from what it would normally stay as, which is about 40-60MB (on Wine v4.0.4 or v2.0.5), to around 1.2-1.3GB in size. so with the system installed version of Wine installed, even though I am only setting everything up through PlayOnLinux, apparently makes it so now one can use older versions of Wine, which support ImgBurn's detection of CD/DVD drives though ASPI or SPTI, with your trimmed WAV files.

so as you can see... you have some options depending on what you prefer be it using newer versions of Wine (say v5 series or newer) or if you want to use older versions of Wine (say v4 series or older) and your in a similar spot as I was ;)

p.s. given the link below it appears 'Lightning UK!' etc says ImgBurn uses DirectShow for decoding WAV and that it's a built-in Windows thing (which is why I started thinking what I did above pretty much)...

EDIT: it seems Wine v2.0.5 works with ImgBurn but not Wine v4.0.4 on that little test with the 'file inflation' stuff with the 'trimmed' WAV files as it was still reporting that 'DirectShow' error when using Wine v4.0.4 but went away with Wine v2.0.5.

Edited by ThaCrip

In my testing above (with ASPI/SPTI with 'verify' and a Memorex CD-RW disc), in short, I suspect those 'Memorex 10x 700MB/80min CD-RW' discs are probably faulty in why that particular disc could read on some of my drives and not others and that the ASPI/SPTI modes in ImgBurn probably don't matter much on my testing here on Linux. but this is a good thing really, since it just gives me more confidence ImgBurn works well on Linux through Wine and I can just continue to use Wine v6.0.1 through PlayOnLinux when burning standard audio CD's etc.

so with that said... I just ordered a 10-pack of 'Verbatim 2-4x 700MB/80min CD-RW' discs and when I get these (at which point I am going to throw all of my old CD-RW discs (Samsung/Memorex) in the trash, which is roughly 20 discs) I am confident there will be no more read errors and they will simply work on all of the CD/DVD burners I got, or at least 4 out of the 5 of them as I would say my HP CD-Writer+ 9100 (8x4x32), which has a May 2000 mfg date, is hands down my worst burner as it's more picky with discs than my other burners are (I don't have it installed in any of my PC's as I currently play with it using one of those SATA/IDE to USB 3 adapters). but for kicks, it will be interesting to see how that old HP drive handles these Verbatim discs as it should given the discs are officially rated 2-4x burn speed and the max CD-RW re-write speed of my HP burner is 4x. because I figure if that HP does not like these Verbatim discs, that HP drive is pretty much junk since Verbatim is one of the best, if not the best, discs you can get.

those Verbatim discs should be of solid quality as while they are new old stock (the date on the box should be 2005) they should work well in pretty much all of my burners. because after looking up the specs, it appears even my newest burner (Lite-On iHAS-324B (which I think has a 2011 mfg date without checking)) can still burn CD-RW's as slow as 4x (I suspect I might have to set burn speed to 4x as the drive may attempt to go faster than that and might have problems with the disc if it does. but given my recent testing, if that occurs I can likely resurrect the disc by full formatting it on my 24102b drive at 4x), which is the limit of those discs I ordered. but if I need to burn slower I can always use my good ol' Lite-On 24102b drive from Dec 2001.

but anyways, once I get a hold of those Verbatim CD-RW discs I am going to run some tests with ImgBurn (on Linux Mint v20.3-Xfce paired with PlayOnLinux and Wine etc) and probably post of the gist of the results here. but even without testing them, given Verbatim's reputation, I suspect I won't have a single error with ImgBurn during the 'verify' process and I already narrowed down the 'write' problem given my previous testing as it basically boiled down to 'Direct Show' error as ImgBurn simply could not read certain modified WAV files (ones I modified with Audacity or Ocenaudio to remove silence from beginning and ends of track etc), but this appears to be a issue with Wine, not ImgBurn. but like I said, I simply use Wine v5 series or newer (as I tried v5.0.4 and v6.0.1 ; but ill probably mostly stick with 6.0.1 for now) and that problem disappeared.

so until then, ill probably be back to make another post here in about a week or two with the gist of my burning results on those Verbatim CD-RW discs. but I expect it will be all smooth sailing ;)

Well I was playing around with the Verbatim CD-RW discs, as they arrived earlier than I thought, and so far everything has been smooth sailing as no write or read problems with Wine v6.0.1 (besides that one I mentioned in my above post about the 'synchronising cache', which is no big deal as it's due to overburning as if I did not overburn (or overburned a bit less), that error would not occur). but I noticed to save some hard drive space one can opt for the x86 (32bit) version of Wine v6.0.1 with PlayOnLinux (basically uses less storage space installing the basic 32bit 6.0.1 of Wine along with less space in the 'wine prefix' folder). on a side note... I noticed when setting to Windows XP it shows up as 'Service Pack 3' instead of 'Service Pack 2' with the 64bit (amd64) version of Wine. probably not a big deal either way though as things seem to work okay either way.

but anyways, ImgBurn on Wine 6.0.1, SPTI mode (Device Interface)... on my initial burn with the 7240s @ 4x (nearly a 81min audio CD)...

---verify on 7240s = success. 34.9x max read speed, no slow down.
---verify on iHAS324B = success. 35.5x max read speed, no slow down.

even after maybe 4 burns or so the read speed on my 24102b was about as expected as it starts off a bit slower but seems to go up to about 14x. the read speed on my HP CD-Writer 9100+ (8x4x32) drive was around 7-8x but I am not surprised as that drive is from May 2000 and is the weakest burner I got as it won't even attempt overburning as it throws a cue sheet type of error on a cue sheet I know works with the rest of my drives basically (and the cue sheet was made by ImgBurn with WAV files). but I took a guess and figured it was because the capacity of the cue/wav files exceeded the official capacity of the disc (i.e. overburning) and I was right as once I removed say the last song (which now put the total burn time to less than 80 minutes) and quickly re-made the cue sheet, that error went away and it burned okay at 4x. I got that HP CD-Writer 9100+ (it's a IDE drive) connected to my PC using a SATA/IDE to USB3 device and ImgBurn see's the HP burner without issue (although I seemed to have noticed to get it to work I have to leave it unplugged from USB port, power on on the drive with the devices power switch with everything connected besides the USB connection, wait maybe 20seconds or so, and then plug in the USB connection to the computer and then it can communicate with the HP burner as expected).

also, which is to be expected... while I had success verifying on the 7240s/iHAS324B drives at max speed etc, it failed to 'verify' on Wine v4.0.4, but this was to be expected given ImgBurn can't properly read the modified WAV files which is apparently related to a 'Direct Show' problem, not a ImgBurn (or CD-RW disc) issue, which as I mentioned before is fixed by using a newer version of Wine as I generally have been using Wine v6.0.1 with SPTI and it simply works (with trimmed WAV files or standard to make a standard audio CD (I did some overburning by nearly 1min in my testing)).

so basically... like I expected, those Memorex CD-RW's that I used on my testing in a previous post in this topic are pretty much on their way out (as in the testing in my previous post you can see they are sporadic in their results) as I am probably going to toss those twenty or so old CD-RW's from Memorex/Samsung (or at least the Memorex 700MB/80min 10x rated ones) in the trash and just stick to my Verbatim 700MB/80min 2-4x CD-RW's at this point since they are likely going to remain reliable for me for years, probably many years, to come. I mainly just use them for occasional testing or storing a limited amount of data that I might change from time-to-time. so if anyone has issues with their CD-RW discs on ImgBurn, their CD-RW discs are most likely the problem. plus, like I said before I never had a issue burning on CD-R or DVD-R/+R permanent media (with the exception of that recently discovered trimmed WAV file issue which requires me to use a newer version of Wine for ImgBurn to function as expected regardless of the type of media (CD-R or CD-RW) one burns to).

p.s. I was even playing around with using KProbe (KProbe v2.5.2, which is apparently from March 2006) on my Liteon iHAS324B (it appears KProbe is made for Lite-On DVD burners) to check the burn quality of some of my DVD's I burned 10-16+ years ago and the handful I tested turned out well as PIE's and PIF's (PIF's are more important than the PIE's) were well within good standards. so if this is a ball park indication of their longevity, which I suspect it is, then quality DVD media (Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden (and the like)) that was burned with a decent drive in the first place with good initial burn quality etc, will likely last for a fairly long time, as I think conservatively 10-20 years but given the results from those handful of scans I suspect more towards 20+ years at least since there is no obvious signs of degrading. ; but in regards to KProbe, I had to setup Wine with a version that works with ASPI, so I went with Wine v4.0.4 (32bit version is fine) and left Wine at it's default of Windows 7 mode and it works as expected (I generally slow read speed to 4x). because when I tried a newer version of Wine, it selects SPTI mode and at least appears to work initially until you actually try to start the disc reading/scanning process to check the disc and after some odd seconds it says it's done even though it's obvious it did not check the disc. but with ASPI mode everything appears to function like you would expect as it actually reads the disc. it seems either 4x or 8x is generally what people used from memory years ago. but generally it seems if your using 4x read speed it will produce better quality scans vs 8x, but I suspect 8x read speed is still decent to see how it is when reading the disc a bit faster etc if you want to play with it.

------------------------------------------------

but here is the screenshot of ImgBurn throwing a error on the 'HP CD-Writer+ 9100' with the cue sheet with a bit less than 81min audio CD (as initially ImgBurn says "Sending Cue Sheet..." and you can hear the drive trying to do something and after a little time passes throws the following error screen which I know is due to the drive does not support overburning audio CD's as once I removed a song, which brang total time down to around 78min (basically keep it at 80min or less) there was no problem at all then)...

Screenshot_2022-03-27_01-51-01.png

• 10 months later...

SMALL UPDATE: while ImgBurn etc still basically works on Mint 21.x series (which was released in about mid-2022 and is supported until April 2027), I noticed there seems to be a small issue on PlayOnLinux through Mint 21.x series (that was not there on Mint 20.x series) where, for example, when you start up PlayOnLinux, on the main program window if you click the 'Configure' you will notice that on certain tabs (mainly 'Wine' and 'Miscellaneous') that certain things are cut off/not currently visible like it should be and it always stays like this everytime you load up the program (until you manually adjust it, which works temporarily).

so it's a small inconvenience that you always have to use the mouse on say the top of the 'PlayOnLinux configuration' window for example and drag it up at which point you can now see everything normally (or, optionally, just maximize that window to see everything). (small side note: I am currently still using Wine v6.0.1(32bit) for use with ImgBurn currently on Mint 21.1-Xfce)

but here is some screenshots to show you exactly what I mean (the narrow one that cut off icons one should be able to see is what the program always does everytime you load it up (which this was not a issue on Mint 20.x) but the pictures you can see everything one is supposed to see are after I put mouse pointer on top of that open window and held left click and moved mouse up which stretches the open window so one can see everything now like it should be in the first place)...

PlayOnLinux_1.png

PlayOnLinux_2.png

PlayOnLinux_3.png

PlayOnLinux_4.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.