ImgBurn keeps disconnecting my drive when reading media

GeeButtersnaps

My disk drive in an external enclosure disconnects every time I try to read media. I will open ImgBurn and choose to create an image file from disc, imgburn will detect the drive and then if a disk is inserted I will hear the drive spin up and then it will disconnect fully from the pc and then reconnect about 20 seconds later only to disconnect in spin up again and disconnect again in an endless loop. If no disc is inserted there is no problem and if I have a disk inserted but imgburn isn't on there isn't a problem but for some reason ImgBurn  just started doing this. I haven't changed the drive enclosure or even the usb port (until later to test other ports) and it does this everytime without fail. It worked fine before and created images of all the discs I tried but now any disc will cause this to happen. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? For the record the drive and enclosure were both new within a week or 2 when this started happening (I just stopped trying for a few months which will be reflected in the log but the drive and enclosure haven't been used since).

ImgBurn.log

ImgBurn doesn't have the ability to disconnect your drive, that something your OS and its drivers would do.

Press F8 once the program has loaded and enable I/O Debug mode. It'll log more info and then maybe we'll be able to see which command is causing it to get disconnected.

Once it's done a cycle or two of finding the drive, the drive disconnecting, the drive being found again etc, press F8 a second time to turn I/O Debug mode off again.

Save the log and upload it again for me please.

It looks like the problem command is this one...

I 10:36:26 [0:0:0] HL-DT-ST BD-RE  WH16NS40 1.02 (F:) (USB)
I 10:36:26 CDB: AD 00 00 00 00 00 00 11 08 04 00 00
I 10:36:26 CDB Interpretation: Read Disc Structure - ADIP Information
E 10:36:26 SENSE: 00 00 00 79 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF
E 10:36:26 SENSE SK Interpretation: No Sense
E 10:36:26 SENSE ASC/ASCQ Interpretation: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Something between the program and the drive is messing that up, because the drive would have no problem handling it.

I assume you have no choice but to use the drive via a USB enclosure? Direct SATA connection would always be the better choice.

Semaphore timeouts on enclosures are usually the fault of the USB to SATA bridge in the enclosure.  Generally, the only solution I've ever found is to replace the enclosure/USB burner.  You can try replacing the motherboard, but it's not guaranteed and it's generally cheaper and easier to just get a new enclosure/burner.

What USB enclosure are you using?

I'm using a NexStar DX with an LG WH16NS40 drive. Unfortunately my case does not allow me to use a direct sata connection. The strange thing is that this all worked for a week or so until it just stopped. I have also confirmed that this seems to happen with other image burning software such as anyburn though less frequently and seemingly only after I've started creating an image.

Semaphore time out issues would most likely affect all burning software, even if they didn't return that as the cause of failure.

I'd also try a different enclosure.  I use a Vantech USB 3.0 enclosure with my WH16NS60.  It doesn't have a semaphore time out issue on my PC, but it may on yours.  It depends on both the USB bridge in the enclosure and the USB controller on your motherboard.

While I can't account for why it would have worked initially and then just start up out of the clear blue.  Unless it's some kind of Windows error or a hardware failure.

This NexStar DX enclosure IS USB 3.0, correct?  With the NS40, you need a USB 3.0 enclosure.  USB 2.x would be too slow a connection to keep up data with the drive.  Unless your system has somewhat begun to think, after it worked before, that the connection is USB 2.x instead of 3.0.  Have you tried replacing the USB 3.0 cable?  You already said you tried a different USB port and that didn't help.  Since you tried different ports, it could be the cable or a hardware failure on your mobo.  Or it could be the enclosure itself has developed an error.  Or always had it.  I had a Vantech, my first, that made me think it was cheap and didn't work well.  It would randomly drop communication with the device, but it turned out to be just that one enclosure itself.  All my other Vantech's have worked fine.  So, it could be a case that your enclosure only just now decided to go bad or was always bad and it's only now manifesting itself.

Are you connecting by a USB hub or directly on the case?

Thanks, I'll try another cable first. Unfortunately it's type B connector on the enclosure which  I had actually never even seen before so I don't have any spares lying around to try immediately. If that doesn't work I'll get a new enclosure and failing that maybe a pc case that allows for a disk drive to be mounted so I can just use SATA.   The enclosure is USB 3.0 and I believe it actually is a Vantec https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-536S3-BK-NexStar-External-Enclosure/dp/B01MRUN0HQ and I am plugged directly into the motherboard.  

That is the enclosure I've been using for several years now.  Given what I said about the very first one I had, I'd try another Vantech enclosure.  Like I said, my first one turned out to be junk, but all of my others weren't.  Typical of Chinese stuff: virtually nonexistent quality control.

As for Type B USB, that's actually the common variety.  Type A to Type B, where B inserts into the device and A in the USB port on the computer.  Micro B is actually the less common type, but typically found on USB 3.0 HDD's like those made by Western Digital.  I actually have the opposite problem.  I only have Micro B cables that came with my WD USB HDD's.  No others lying around.  I have a few Type A to Type B for spares.  I don't think I have any USB 2.x ones, which I should keep on hand as I do have 2 USB 2.x devices still left attached.  And USB 3.0 cables don't connect to those.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.