Fails to burn

Terrycia

• 2 weeks later...

Why are you burning a ISO on DVD+R DL media (Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: CMC MAG-D03-64)) when it will fit on regular 4.7GB DVD+R(-R) media?

but in regards to that error... while i can't say for sure, I suspect it's because your using probably low quality DVD+R DL media, although it's possible your DVD burner (HP DVD Writer 640c) is the problem to as I would see if your running the newest firmware for your burner.

https://club.myce.com/t/hp-dvd-r-dl-hpdvd640-unable-to-burn-movies-to-a-dvd-r-dl-disc/214991 ; seems to suggest that burner is a so-so burner in general.

p.s. your still using WindowsXP which has not had any official support or security updates from Microsoft as Microsoft dropped support of that in April 2014. your best off putting something like Linux Mint on that system. NOTE: ImgBurn works on Linux Mint through Wine etc.

34 minutes ago, ThaCrip said:

Why are you burning a ISO on DVD+R DL media (Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: CMC MAG-D03-64)) when it will fit on regular 4.7GB DVD+R(-R) media?

but in regards to that error... while i can't say for sure, I suspect it's because your using probably low quality DVD+R DL media, although it's possible your DVD burner (HP DVD Writer 640c) is the problem to as I would see if your running the newest firmware for your burner.

https://club.myce.com/t/hp-dvd-r-dl-hpdvd640-unable-to-burn-movies-to-a-dvd-r-dl-disc/214991 ; seems to suggest that burner is a so-so burner in general.

p.s. your still using WindowsXP which has not had any official support or security updates from Microsoft as Microsoft dropped support of that in April 2014. your best off putting something like Linux Mint on that system. NOTE: ImgBurn works on Linux Mint through Wine etc.

Actually my PC is a Windows 10 pro.. I'm using HP discs, and even when trying to burn files on a DVD, it still fails.

Screenshot 2022-03-25 130346.png

Screenshot 2022-04-11 104855.png

49 minutes ago, ThaCrip said:

Also, I have two burners, and both fail .. ?

Screenshot 2022-04-23 131743.png

The problem is most likely the CMC Magnetics cheap discs.  There is only one good quality manufacturer of DVD+R DL.  That's Mitsubishi.  CMC makes the worst out there.  You'll probably find better success switching to Verbatim DataLife Plus (NOT Life Series, as those are CMC.) DVD+R DL.  Those are MCC, which are Mitsubishi.

This would also explain why you got failures on both ImgBurn and other attempts to burn to the same discs in 2 different drives.

But, if you do have an image file that fits on a single layer DVD, might as well use those.  They're cheaper and adding a 2nd layer does increase the likelihood of issues.

@Terrycia

I must have been a bit tired or something, as I just checked your ImgBurn 'log' again and it shows "Windows 8 etc etc", so my mistake, and you are obviously running Windows 10 given your picture, so all is good there. because if I recall correctly, since ImgBurn was last updated in June 2013, Windows 10 was released in July 2015, it does not correctly report the exact version of Windows.

but I think what dbminter said pretty much summed up your situation. because I personally have some Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x Azo discs (I only have eight of them left) but I only used them in the XBox360 era (as I never had a issue burning those at 2.4x on my iHAS324B drive which was one of the few drives with special firmware so they could burn more than the normal 8.5GB limit of DVD DL media) as they collect dust now as I mostly keep em as a artifact like I still got a handful of Verbatim 650MB/74min CD-R (blue dye on them so they are likely of higher quality) that have a 1997 date on the back of the jewel case as I first got into CD burning in 1998, so they got to be among my earlier CD-R's I ever owned.

but anyways, the bottom line in your situation... use regular DVD+R or DVD-R discs when burning (preferably some better quality discs) since they cost less $ and what your trying to burn...

I 12:20:23 Size: 1,659,243,310 bytes
I 12:20:23 Sectors: 810,178
I 12:20:23 Image Size: 1,659,797,504 bytes

...is not even 1.7GB in size. NOTE: I took that particular thing from the part where you got those errors since you were attempting to burn that on DVD+R DL media. because like dbminter said, Mitsubishi are pretty much the only ones who make quality DVD DL media. because with regular DVD-R or +R media, which is all you need, these are not as picky as unless you got low quality media, just about anything decent should work well enough although Verbatim (with Mitsubishi dye) or Taiyo Yuden media is preferred.

40 minutes ago, dbminter said:

And I thought I was an early adopter of CD-R getting my first burner in 2000.  :)

While I don't have my original CD burner, as I don't remember the exact model of it, I know it was a Memorex burner and I want to say it was roughly 2x2x6 (and got buffer underruns here and there sadly). back then I think I bought it from Best Buy and I think I ended up swapping it with another similar burner. I don't even remember what happened to those. but even those Verbatim CD-R's I still have three of them with the 1997 date on the back, they don't even have a listed write speed on them. so I am guessing they are either 1x or 2x discs.

but the oldest burner I still do have is a HP burner (8x4x32) which has a May 2000 mfg date on it as it still works as I was playing with it connected through a IDE/SATA to USB 3 adapter (I can connect it to my older computer if I wanted but I am using the 24102b in there instead) as ImgBurn see's it through that adapter. although I would say my oldest 'good' CD burner, which I still have and still works, is a Liteon 24102b (Dec 2001 mfg date). both IDE.

but anyways, I knew someone many years ago now (who's pretty much same age as myself) who got into CD burning before myself as I don't know exactly when he did but it was probably about 1996 (likely within 1995-1997 time frame though) as I think it was SCSI based (I imagine CD-R's were not reasonably price at this time). but off the top of my head I think in 1998 when I was burning CD-R's they were roughly $1 each (so while not cheap, not horribly expensive either). thankfully they ain't anywhere near that price now (even the best CD-R's now are about 1/3rd of that price pretty much, with many decent enough discs being about 1/5th of that price) otherwise I would probably not be burning much.

but I still do have some Mitsui CD-R's which seem to have some sort of coating on them as I am pretty sure I paid $50 for a 100-pack (I don't know exactly when I bought these, but probably somewhere in the 2002-2003 area) and still work well to this day as I burned one (as a audio CD) not all that long ago. I probably still got about 75 of these discs left. but I recently got those cheaper 100-pack of Verbatim CD-R's (CMC Magnetics media code) for more general use as the Mitsui I might only use on occasion since they are a bit pricier. but the Verbatim's at $0.18 each, I can afford to burn through those a bit more freely. but at this point ill probably be set for the foreseeable future in terms of CD/DVD recordable discs as I probably won't have to buy more for years.

so in terms of CD-R's I can still burn right now I would imagine those three Verbatim ones with the 1997 date on the back and my Mitsui ones are the best quality CD-R's I currently own.

p.s. my first burner, as I was saying was 1998, but my first PC was 1995 (came with Windows v3.11 and was a 486dx2 66mHz CPU with 4MB of RAM (I think we upgraded to 8MB (yes, MB not GB ;) )) and a 4xxMB HDD. I think I still got this hard drive to this day) as I was a teenager back then. I would say in general computers went more mainstream around that 1998-2000 time frame (which is probably very similar to cell phone tech taking off with the masses to). hell, in terms of 'high speed internet' that was not available in my area until the year 2000 as when I first got it installed the guy who installed it said I was one of the earlier people to get it in the area etc.

I don't remember the manufacturer of my first CD burner either.  Got it from Babbage's, which became Electronics Boutique.

I remember paying $15 a pop for quality Mitsubishi DVD-R in 2002 when I first started burning those.

My first IBM x86 PC was in 1992.  30 years ago this past January, actually.  Back when PC's had a Turbo button on them.  It had a whopping 40 MB HDD.  And dual 5.25" and 3.5" floppies.

I was also one of the first adopters of cable Internet in my area back in 2000.

13 minutes ago, dbminter said:

I remember paying $15 a pop for quality Mitsubishi DVD-R in 2002 when I first started burning those.

Damn, I would have never paid it as I figure even around $1-2 a disc is really pushing it as beyond that, short of a very limited amount of data, is just too much. so it's like if a disc fails one would be cringing.

$15 for a single DVD recordable, hell no! (at that price data backup would be very limited to super high importance stuff and not a bit more causal backup) ; but I guess it makes my 'expensive' recording days of about $1 for a CD-R look like a major bargain in comparison. thankfully I missed those earlier days of DVD burning since I never got into DVD recording until 2005 as at that time prices were a lot more reasonable for DVD recordable discs (because I just stuck with CD-R until prices of DVD got a bit more competitive with CD-R). but I do recall that in my very early DVD burning days I was mostly, if not entirely, using generic DVD recordables to save a bit of $. but at this point in time, off the top of my head, the only recordable DVD's I still have from quite a few years ago are likely all Verbatim, with some being Taiyo Yuden media as the only TY media I owned is TYG02 (DVD-R 8x) which is probably bought somewhere between the 2005-2007 time frame.

do you still have those discs you paid $15 a pop for? ; they still work today? ; I sure hope so.

but come to think of it... in terms of general DVD video discs I think I read a while ago that DVD video rentals peaked in the year 2003 (or maybe it was when they really hit their stride, or something to this effect). I can imagine in 2002 DVD recordable discs were not cheap since at that time CD-R was probably still far more commonly burned off the top of my head since that was probably around the time (call it about 2001-2002) quality CD burners were really starting to take off. like the technology was maturing etc where as I would assume DVD recordable had to be in the earlier stages, which I think your $15 a disc pretty much confirms. I don't know for sure but I would imagine your 2002 DVD recording would probably have been roughly equivalent to recording CD-R's in about 1995-1996(?) because I can't imagine recording CD-R's in that time frame was more in the affordable range. probably at least several dollars a disc each I imagine, maybe more(?). because I can't recall asking that person I knew how much it cost him to record a CD-R when he had his which was likely between 1995-1997, I was guessing about 1996 though.

16 minutes ago, dbminter said:

My first IBM x86 PC was in 1992.  30 years ago this past January, actually.  Back when PC's had a Turbo button on them.  It had a whopping 40 MB HDD.  And dual 5.25" and 3.5" floppies.

Damn, 40MB HDD. funny thing is in that time frame it was probably pretty good. it's funny how fast things advanced back in the 1990's into the 2000's as while we still get decent advancements you can tell things are slowing down as they don't get outdated nearly as quickly as we can hang onto hardware much longer, thankfully, before it's truly outdated.

it's funny how even dirt cheap flash storage now would have been an amazing amount of storage space for the common person maybe 15-20 years or so ago.

as for floppies... I only used the 1.44MB 3.5" ones at home but I do recall seeing those bigger 5.25" in school back around early 1990's as I think you used to put it into the drive and turn something to lock it into place, if I recall correctly. but it's been ages since I last touched one of those bigger floppies so I am a big vague on the details.

$15 was the high quality Mitsubishi stuff from Panasonic.  It was around the time I paid $999 for a first generation DVD video recorder.  I didn't pay $15 a pop for very long.  A few months later, I came across Optodisc, which used to make their own quality discs.  Then, they switched to CMC, which was my first exposure to cheap discs.  Those CMC discs were impossible to use with any kind of regularity.  Those $15 discs were still readable until last year, when I made new archives so they would be newer discs.

Oh, I remember those terrible buffer underrun days.  My CD-R drive was plagued by it, and early DVD burners didn't have buffer underrun technology in them like they eventually would.  You'd spend an hour writing to a DVD-R only to have it fail at 99% due to a buffer underrun.

I can remember when the 100 MB Zip Drive disks were mass storage in 1995.

5.25" floppy drives had a "latch" on them.  You'd push down the latch to keep the disk in place in the drive.  5.25" were my first exposure to floppy discs.  I had a Commodore 64 around 1987 whose external storage was 5.25" floppies.  My first BASIC class in high school, we also used 5.25" floppies.  For Pascal in my senior year, the school replaced all the TRS 80's with IBM AT PC's which had 3.5" floppies in them.

17 hours ago, dbminter said:

I can remember when the 100 MB Zip Drive disks were mass storage in 1995.

I still have one of those (I still have the unit (USB connection) and five 100MB Fujifilm 100MB disks and they still worked the last I knew). but honestly, looking back on it, I regret buying that. but I suspect at the time it was half way decent external storage where adding/deleting files was convenient unlike recordable CD tech.

I don't remember when I got that Zip drive but just given it uses USB connection that probably means it was not before the year 2000 for me because I am pretty sure the first computer I owned with USB port was in the year 2000 (my 3rd computer in total). so I would guess either 2000-2001 (maybe a little after) when I got that Zip drive.

You'd spend an hour writing to a DVD-R only to have it fail at 99% due to a buffer underrun.

I would have been steaming waiting that long for it to fail at pretty much the last second and on top of that it was not cheap either.

$15 was the high quality Mitsubishi stuff from Panasonic.  It was around the time I paid $999 for a first generation DVD video recorder.  I didn't pay $15 a pop for very long.

Damn, nearly $1k for a burner.

I don't recall what I paid for my 1st CD burner in 1998 but I would guess it was likely somewhere between $100-200.

even my Liteon 24102b (Dec 2001 mfg date), which I still have as it's the oldest burner I still have that I consider good, I want to say I paid something around $70-80 for it which would have likely been sometime in 2002.

Edited by ThaCrip

I believe the USB models of Zip were first introduced in 1999.

It was more than just a DVD burner.  It recorded video on to DVD.  So, while it had a DVD burner drive in it, it also had other hardware and software necessary to record VHS and cable TV to DVD.  So, there were things like a Time Base Corrector, which, back then, ran $500 on their own.  By 2006, Panasonic, the innovator of the technology, was selling DVD video recorder and VCR combo units for $300.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:05 AM, dbminter said:

I believe the USB models of Zip were first introduced in 1999.

I see. that sounds about right as I was guessing I got mine probably about 2000-2001, maybe a little earlier or a little later.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:05 AM, dbminter said:

It was more than just a DVD burner.  It recorded video on to DVD.  So, while it had a DVD burner drive in it, it also had other hardware and software necessary to record VHS and cable TV to DVD.  So, there were things like a Time Base Corrector, which, back then, ran $500 on their own.  By 2006, Panasonic, the innovator of the technology, was selling DVD video recorder and VCR combo units for $300.

Ahh, I see. so it's a bit more souped up ;)

I still got a home DVD video recorder for use on TV as we got it to transfer home VHS videos to DVD (VHS unit is separate. we just used our stand alone VHS unit and connected it to the DVD recorder) as I just checked the unit and it's a 'Magnavox MWR10D6'. I think we got that roughly between 10-15 years ago back when Walmart (a major retailer here in the USA) used to have those units in their stores. I just use DVD+RW discs in it at the time and once everything was good I would then just use my computer to duplicate the DVD+RW disc to a permanent DVD-R or +R disc. but when I last used that I had some lower quality Memorex DVD+RW 4x discs, which I junked years ago now, and while I have not tested them yet, I suspect the DVD-RW 2.4x Verbatim discs I bought in I think 2019 (which have a 2002 date on back of jewel case) will probably work well on it should I need to use it again to get VHS to DVD at some point in the future.

Edited by ThaCrip

I got my first DVD video recorder at Sears.  Then, I got an updated model from Panasonic with a VCR built into it in 2006 at Walmart.  Last year, I completed a 2 to 3 year project to convert all of my VHS tapes to DVD.  I had about 500.  Once my local cable company switched to digital and required a box to receive cable, my DVD video recorder could no longer record from TV.  So, I had this DVD video recorder sitting around doing nothing and a separate VCR connected to it  and I decided to finally complete my library conversion project.

I also connected an audio tape player to the DVD video recorder and converted my nearly 40 year old library of audio cassettes to DVD.

I'd also use the DVD video recorder to record onto DVD-RAM, on the first Panasonic model, then on to DVD-RW on the updated one.  I'd then shuttle the discs over to the PC where I'd do final processing on them.  Edits and make my own menus, etc.  My first DVD-R PC burner was bought for that purpose.  Cost me $500 in 2002.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.