Unable to create layer break

dbminter

I've got a VIDEO_TS where ImgBurn can't set the layer break for.  The end of the world message.  I think I know the problem, but I wanted to make sure. 

I believe the problem is how the disc was authored.  It's a home movie I converted to DVD and am trying to get on a final DVD+R DL because the VIDEO_TS is just a tad over 8 GB.  It runs about 3 hours and 45 minutes, but the software that converted the VHS to DVD created just 5 chapters.  I'm not entirely sure what the criteria was for the chapters, but it created 3 over 1 hour chapters and 1 10 minute one and 1 about 5 minute one.  The disc is basically one long VTS of about 3 hours and 45 minutes total running time.  When you play, it's one title set that runs that length of time with all content.

So, is it because there are essentially 3 over 1 hour chapters that ImgBurn cannot find a layer break position for?

Thanks!

What's the definition of a cell in this case?

Also, pressed discs don't seem to have an end of the world issue as they seem to be able to fill an entire DVD-9 disc without the need for padding.  Why does ImgBurn need the padding?

I haven't done this stuff in like 10+ years, so please don't expect me to remember any of it!

Look at an IFO in IfoEdit and you'll see how DVD Video files are broken down. Perhaps you recall the term PGC ? A PGC is a collection of Cells. They're the Cells I'm talking about.

It all comes down to the DVD Video specs. A layer break is meant to be put in a certain position (a cell change) and that's the reason for the coloured starts on the layer break selection screen. The more boxes the position ticks, the higher up the star rating chart it goes.

Pressed discs will have been designed and authored with a layer break position in mind. Unless of course they're 'seamless' ones and you're relying on the player working with a disc that doesn't really comply with the specs. They too may have some padding within the file system (invisible to you) so that a cell change falls in the correct place for burning to disc. Don't forget that pressed discs can be OTP or PTP. For burning, we only have the option of OTP. Different rules apply for each format in terms of layer sizes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.