Reason: Random Positioning Error

Nextria

Good morning,

I have a question, i am making backups of a lot of old games, but in IMGburn, at the 99% mark i get a Random Positioning Error.
See the log attached, its also not with all the cd's but with most.

I tried 4 different drives (not in the log) but it all gives me the same error.
The cds seem work fine, but i cant be 100% sure, 

can i ignore the error ?

ImgBurn.log

Are the 4 different drives all from the same model/manufacturer or different models and manufacturers?  Are they all internal SATA or USB?

If you did try 4 different makes and models of drives, it's probably the nature of the beast of Playstation discs.  Playstation discs are often very picky to make archives of.

As long as the image completes, I wouldn't be too concerned.  If the discs play fine, again, I wouldn't be that concerned.  It seems whatever this repositioning is, it was temporary and was recovered from as it wasn't a fatal error.

Given how it's the same results regardless of what drive you use, the hardware interface, or PC, and that it happens on more than 1 of these discs in the same game set, it's probably down to how this game set was authored.  Also given how it happens at the 99% mark, it's probably in either the "copy protection" area or audio channel data.

Have you tried any other game discs besides the ones from Phantasmagoria?

Sometimes Playstation games just exhibit odd behavior.  I just over the weekend encountered odd behavior reading PS games on the LG WH16NS60.  They start out at a really fast read rate, but then drop to 2x, resulting in like 20 minute read times.  It happened on all 5 PS games I tried and did not happen on any other CD read operations I tested afterwards.  So, it's something unique to PS games in my NS60 it seems.  And there are some PS games that cannot be read in by ImgBurn on certain hardware.  For instance, Mega Man 8 in my collection is one of those and it failed to read for another user who posted on here about attempting to archive the same game.  Those require Alcohol 120% to read.

You could try downloading the free version of Alcohol 120% and see if you get reads that way.  I would guess you would since ImgBurn did not technically "fail" to read the Phantasmagoria discs.

If you get the same read errors in Alcohol at the same places, then you can safely rule that it's how the games in Phantasmagoria were pressed.  And since you seem to get similar spots on other Playstation games, it's probably as I mentioned earlier the nature of the beast when dealing with PS archives.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.