How do I copy a DVD-R to a disc for my DVD player?

Gobi Beige

I came across a new format for a DVD from Universal Studios that has been difficult to copy.  It's in a DVD-R format, which is unusual for a movie DVD (in my experience).  How do I copy this such that I can burn/copy the DVD-R to a copy that will play in my home DVD player?  I used Handbrake to make a MP4, and then made an ISO file with IMGBURN.  However, when I burn it to a DVD+R, it burns as an MP4 file on the DVD.  I don't know enough about software or file types.  It's hard enough trying to use Handbrake; I can't seem to get the close captions to transfer over.  Can anyone explain a simple way to go from DVD-R to a DVD I can play in my computer or home DVD player?  Many thanks!

If it's a DVD-R, use Read mode to make an image of it and then burn it via Write mode.

Is the source disc you're looking at actually a DVD Video disc? As ImgBurn only burn as-is, if you feed it an MP4 file, you'll end up with an MP4 file on the disc. You can probably skip Handbrake entirely.

It sounds like the OP had a DVD-R DVD Video and used Handbrake to make an MP4 from the VIDEO_TS.  They then tried burning that to a new recordable disc.

As LUK said, DVD-R is a simple Read and Write operation: Read the disc to an image file and then Write it to a new recordable disc.  However, be aware some DVD-R type movies from big studios have structural copy protection on them.  Which means ImgBurn won't directly copy them; it will tell you if it can't Read the disc.  Also however, if you got Handbrake to make an MP4, the disc either didn't have structural protection or you already circumvented it to make files Handbrake can process.

DVD-R is simply a cheap ass way for studios to save money on production costs.  Frankly, I'm surprised all studios haven't abandoned pressed discs in favor of DVD-R and DVD+R DL's.  Most TV series are now released on DVD+R DL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.