Stuck Searching for SCSI / ATAPI

dd33_wd64

In need of some assistance if possible, I searched everywhere I could online for advice.

ImgBurn hangs on Searching for SCSI / ATAPI. Drive is a TSST SH-224BB in a Vantec NexStar DX2 USB 5.25 enclosure.

I have updated the firmware on the drive to the latest version (SB-01). DVDs play in VLC and Media Player Classic HC. I reinstalled ImgBurn with the "fresh install" twice. I know it worked to reinstall cleanly because I had to reuse the registry key to enable debug mode. I tried running the program as administrator as well. As a last ditch diagnostic I checked the power supply for the enclosure with a voltmeter, it's right where it should be just above 12v.

The problem began after attempting to read an older disc with the drive to backup as an .iso. ImgBurn worked less than 12 hours ago to make an iso, earlier today. After the disc failed to read it could have began then, the disc make be anecdotal. I have used this drive to write many iso's thus far. I can still play discs in VLC with the drive. The discs appear in Windows and are able to be viewed in explorer. I'm also able to create an video from the disc directly in handbrake. My flow had previously been ImgBurn -> .iso -> HandBrake Queue. 

OS is Windows 11 Pro, it displays as windows 8 x64 in the log. I enabled additional logging registry key as suggested by LUK's troubleshooting post. Unfortunately I'm not sure if it will be of any help:

I 00:37:19 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 00:37:19 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)
I 00:37:19 Total Physical Memory: 33,407,784 KiB  -  Available: 24,888,836 KiB
W 00:37:19 I/O Interface 'Debug Mode' Enabled!
I 00:37:19 Initialising SPTI...
I 00:37:19 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

Additionally, exiting the program causes a lockup as well. 

Any wisdom would be appreciated, not sure what's going on. 

Edited by dd33_wd64
clarity

First, if you haven't, try power cycling the enclosure and then restart the PC.

The second thing you could try is changing the Interface in ImgBurn.  If SPTI was working before, this probably won't help, but it's worth a try.  Tools --> Settings --> I/O --> Interface.  Try all the other options and see if it helps.

I'd have to say if ImgBurn worked before and you were able to read/burn many discs before, it would seem the drive needs replacing.  However, you're also using one of those VanTec enclosures.  They're 50/50 when it comes to quality control.  You could have gotten one of those 50% clunkers.  The only reason I use one is because the LG WH16NS60 only properly works in the VanTec.  (And even then on the Version 2 one, you can't update the firmware of one in it.)  You could try getting an Other World Computing enclosure and see if that helps.  I'd say it probably wouldn't make a difference in this case, though.

Thank you both for your replies.

I tried other options in I/O as well after reading this suggestion, I couldn't get those to function either.  I could get an OWC enclosure and try it, but I find it odd that I can read/view the disk in windows yet have issues with imgburn. I've used ImgBurn in the past, and never encountered a problem like this. It starts to make me believe that @dbminter is right, it's probably a dud enclosure, but again I can't believe it partially works. Is a partial dud even a possibility? And the spontaneous failure also perplexes me. I may email Vantec and ask for an RMA, not sure if I'll have any success.

I read hearsay online that some devices that use 12v external power supplies can push the power back down the USB cable (incorrectly designed) and fry components. I tested the USB cable with probes and voltmeter, I didn't find any voltage going back down the USB cable.  

I also just picked up two more SH-224 drives on ebay, in case it is the drive. If this isn't a good DVD drive for this purpose, do either of you have a suggestion? I could go full hog and get a newer quality pioneer blu-ray drive, but I've worried about lifespan of the drives from things I've read online. Especially given most retailers are selling brown box pulls as it is, a second hand blu-ray drive seems like it could be a bad bet. I just have a cheap Asus blu-ray reader, not a burner, from years ago. I could pull it to test this enclosure, but it's in an HTPC at a family member's house and will have to wait until the weekend. 

Here is a full log. I have many external drives and two network mapped drives. Without the optical drive connected it launches immediately and does not hang. :( ominous 

Thanks again for any guidance.

I 15:45:18 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 15:45:18 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)
I 15:45:18 Total Physical Memory: 33,407,784 KiB  -  Available: 26,189,444 KiB
W 15:45:18 I/O Interface 'Debug Mode' Enabled!
I 15:45:18 Initialising SPTI...
I 15:45:18 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(A:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(B:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(C:\) - Return Value: 3 (DRIVE_FIXED)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(D:\) - Return Value: 3 (DRIVE_FIXED)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(E:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(F:\) - Return Value: 3 (DRIVE_FIXED)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(G:\) - Return Value: 3 (DRIVE_FIXED)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(H:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(I:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(J:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(K:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(L:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(M:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(N:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(O:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(P:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(Q:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(R:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(S:\) - Return Value: 3 (DRIVE_FIXED)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(T:\) - Return Value: 4 (DRIVE_REMOTE)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(U:\) - Return Value: 4 (DRIVE_REMOTE)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(V:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(W:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(X:\) - Return Value: 3 (DRIVE_FIXED)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(Y:\) - Return Value: 2 (DRIVE_REMOVABLE)
I 15:45:18 GetDriveType(Z:\) - Return Value: 1 (DRIVE_NO_ROOT_DIR)
W 15:45:18 No devices detected!

Edited by dd33_wd64

It's possible to get a VanTec enclosure that only partially works.  My first VanTec made me thing the entire line was junk.  While it initially appeared to work, eventually, it started dropping communication with the drive.  I gave a 2nd VanTec a try and that's when I started to suspect inferior Chinese quality control because that unit worked fine.  Then, I had another one where it would randomly not detect anything when a disc was inserted until the power was cycled.

I would get an LG WH16NS60 if you're really looking for a BD drive.  It's the best of the worst.  The lesser of several evils.  Pioneer is pretty much junk now.  Hasn't properly written to DVD+RW for over 5 years.  ASUS is also junk.  Doesn't properly write DVD+R DL.

1 hour ago, dbminter said:

It's possible to get a VanTec enclosure that only partially works.  My first VanTec made me thing the entire line was junk.  While it initially appeared to work, eventually, it started dropping communication with the drive.  I gave a 2nd VanTec a try and that's when I started to suspect inferior Chinese quality control because that unit worked fine.  Then, I had another one where it would randomly not detect anything when a disc was inserted until the power was cycled.

I would get an LG WH16NS60 if you're really looking for a BD drive.  It's the best of the worst.  The lesser of several evils.  Pioneer is pretty much junk now.  Hasn't properly written to DVD+RW for over 5 years.  ASUS is also junk.  Doesn't properly write DVD+R DL.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll look into it for BD drive, I trust LG as well. I've emailed VanTec, hopefully they RMA it. Probably will just order an OWC enclosure. TSST SH-224 are decent for just DVDs? In the past I had read they were quality, now I don't know what to think anymore. 

Cheers

If you're going to use the OWC enclosure with a WH16NS60, be aware there's a big drawback.  If you power off the enclosure, Windows will not recognize the drive is connected again until you restart Windows.  The OWC doesn't do this with Pioneer drives, but it does with the NS60.  VanTec enclosures don't do this with the NS60, either.  It's a peculiar bug in the OWC enclosure.

I haven't used anything other than a Blu-Ray burner for like a decade, so I can't comment on DVD only burners.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.