Verbatim DLD+R DL ( MKM-003-000 ) incompatible with Playstation 2 ?

kidflo

Hello . I am trying to burn a Playstation 2 dual-layer game , i have tried multiple MKM-003-000 discs , tested on 2 consoles but it just won't read them .

I also tried some CMC MAG-D03-64 and i had better results with those !? .. even if they stop working after a while . 

Can you go under 4x writing speed or it's a disk limitation ? I'm also attaching a log . 

ImgBurn.log

2 things.

1.) Is your PS 2 modded?  If it isn't, copies of games won't play at all, regardless of if they're single or double layer.  Unless you're using a soft mod, which is still a mod.

2.) Be aware not all mod chips supported double layer copies.

You can write below 4x.  But, 1.) you need 2.4x media, and it's not guaranteed the drive isn't hyped up to write beyond 2.4x on that rated media.  2.) you can try setting a slower write speed, but user entered values are not always honored by the drive itself, as the hardware will do whatever the Hell it wants to.

Yes, it's modded both hardware and software . I even tried to disable the chip, same result . 

I used an external Verbatim drive and i could write at 3x . But on an internal LG drive the minimum is 4x . 

Bitsetting was manually set to DVD-ROM in both cases . 

Edited by kidflo

That only applies to games and it depends on if you have a fat or slim model PS 2.  MKM's worked fine for DVD Video for a decade on my fat model PS 2.  The slim, not so much.  However, the slim model never played DVD's correctly without skips and pauses in playback because, well, it's a slim model, and almost all slim models of anything with an optical drive are junk.

• 1 year later...

New info, MKM-003 works for SCPH 90004 but it won't work for 70004 . I can't say anything for other models as i didn't test .

I am able to burn at 4x, 8x but also under-burn it at the real speed of 2.4x . Which do i choose so it works best on PS2 ? 

I did burn them at 8x but i guess i had some faulty discs because i always got a high PI somewhere isolated on the disc . I don't see anything wrong in the graph data files in that specific area . Is there any way to see the writing speed on a DVD+R DL without the graph data ? 

Verbatim_8x_5x_GOW2.png

Transfer_rate_02-August-2022.html

Edited by kidflo

I never pay attention to PI rates.  In fact, I've rarely even looked at those graphs in the past.

As far as I know, there's no way to determine at what speed a disc was written to.  If the Log is old enough, you might find its burn rate in ImgBurn.  The closest you can find post burn is to determine the encoded write strategies on the disc, but there's no guarantee a maximum write rate is what is honored by the drive.  Or if the user used a slower burn rate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.