Is it possible burn XGD3 Games without BurnerMax?

GuckTube

Is it possible burn XGD3 Games without BurnerMax? If its not possible, why? if its possible, how to burn XGD3 without burnermax?
Maybe it is possible if i small the XGD3 Games ISO, but how?
and i found app for small the ISO, x360scrub, but, i am stuck at "layout file", because i dont know what x360scrub "layout file" means

Edited by GuckTube

I just check the ISO Sector, and then, the null bytes, its from sector 1,913,760 to 2,272,032
what happen if i remove the null bytes, and making same size like normal ISO size?
Sorry, i check it using iso mount, and thats why i got the zero byte

im just put xgd2 modify iso lol, thats why i got null bytes sorry

Edited by GuckTube

I have not used my moded XBox360 in a while but, at least to my knowledge the last I knew, you had to use the Burner Max firmware on a Liteon 324 B drive for it to properly burn all of the data on a XDG3 sized ISO since it's actually over-burning some data beyond what's normally the limit and you can't do this without custom firmware on a typical burner the last I knew. I don't know the details on what it burns, but apparently it was important enough for them to release that custom firmware. so unless things have changed since I last knew, I suspect you need a burner to properly burn those XGD3 games since regular games you can just use a typical DVD burner on Verbatim DVD+R DL media. I still have some of my quality made in singapore Verbatim DVD+R DL discs, which I solely used for XBox360 stuff. I believe burning at 2.4x was recommended but it might have been possible to burn at 4x.

I still have my burner that was flashed with the Burner Max firmware and still have my moded XBox360 but I have not really used the XBox360 in years now as I mainly use that Liteon 324 B burner I have for a general DVD burner nowadays.

my burner shows up in ImgBurn as... "I 12:05:24 -> Drive 2 - Info: ATAPI iHAS324   B AL1B (J:)"

Edited by ThaCrip

I do see some iHAS324 "B" models for sale on Ebay if that helps. it must be a "B" model otherwise you can't flash that special firmware to it to my knowledge!

because with those you can flash the special firmware and then with the proper discs (Verbatim DVD+R DL) you should be able to burn XGD3 games properly then is your best bet since I know that works.

but taking a quick look online it seems most of the Verbatim DVD+R DL available are rated at '8x'. I don't 'think' that will be a problem but the ones I specifically used were officially rated for 2.4x, which I still see some of these older ones for sale on Ebay as they are in 20-discs per pack which is what mine is as I just checked as I got as I got about 8 discs left in my pack which I had since back when XBox360 burning was more common. so while the '8x' discs might work, it's probably safer to get the 2.4x rated ones since I suspect there will be less potential issues with the burner/media combo this way given those burners are roughly 10 years old (mine says 'May 2011' for mfg date as I just checked) and might not work as well with newer 8x media. but it's your call.

I am just assuming your XBox360 is already moded properly as I have not flashed mine in a rather long time now so I forgot most of the stuff at this point. but I am pretty sure my XBox360 has the Samsung MS28 drive which I think Hitachi ones were more common and of lower quality. I think I had a certain PCI card I needed to flash my Samsung drives firmware (in the XBox360 itself) from my old PC at the time. off the top of my head VIA 6421 PCI card comes to mind and checking online I must have been right since it mentions that JungleFlasher program in relation to it etc and I think it can be done from DOS to 'if' I recall correctly.

so while I still do somewhat remember this stuff, I am sure I forgot the bulk of the details ;)

p.s. but from looking around online it appears models iHAS124B through iHAS524B should work (so 1 2 3 4 or 5) with that special firmware.

Edited by ThaCrip

6 hours ago, LIGHTNING UK! said:

You can still buy brand new drives from vinpower that’ll do the job. No need for a B drive, most versions after B worked just fine.

Are you referring to the Optiarc ones they are selling here... https://www.vinpowerdigital.com/t/categories/Optical-Drives/Optiarc-DVD-Burner

because I seen some site (a post date of many years ago now) mentioning cross-flash etc, but I just ignored it since I figured it would be easier with what was standard back-in-the-day. I did not realize they got new drives that allow over-burning to 8.7GB (on DVD+R DL media), but apparently those do.

but assuming those work well, that might be better since it's new and more recent and I suspect has better compatibility with newer 8x certified DVD+R DL media. still, from taking a quick look, at least here in the USA, it's seem like very little is available at a reasonable price range.

Edited by ThaCrip

The plus/robot drives just basically have burnermax built in. 

As you know, the XGD3 images are too big to burn to a DVD+R DL under normal circumstances. Burnermax allowed for a bit of overburning on specific drives and these vinpower ones support overburning by default and that’s all that matters (not the burnermax bit)

You will not get good results trying to overburn anything other than the verbatim discs. Alternative manufacturers weren’t even that reliable for regular sized images, let alone oversized ones.

3 hours ago, GuckTube said:

Oh okay, so the answer is: No, its not possible to burn xgd3 without burnermax

Well apparently it is with those newer drives LightningUK mentioned since they can overburn to 8.7GB instead of being limited to 8.5GB like is typical (or use a old iHASx24B drives etc like I got with the special firmware, but the newer drives are probably better because I would assume they have better support for more modern Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x discs etc).

so with a proper burner, a proper ISO, and assuming your XBox360 is moded correctly etc, it should work if you using quality media, which basically means Verbatim DVD+R DL specifically. while you can probably get away with more generic brands on regular DVD-R(or +R) media, that's much less so on DL media since they are more fussy, which makes Verbatim brand specifically all that much more required.

but I forgot most of the details on XBox360 stuff since I have probably not burned a game (or XGD3) since probably 2013 or so as taking a quick look through some of my burned games most are 2010 or before with a little after that point and from a quick look, 2013 (or so) was probably the last time I burned a XBox360 game.

p.s. if it were possible to make a 8.7GB smaller, they most likely would have done so in the old days and saved people the trouble of needing special firmware/burner to burn those XDG3 games. that's kind of why I assume tweaking ISO size is pointless as I don't remember doing any of that back when I was using my XBox360 regularly.

Edited by ThaCrip

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.