Verify fails because I start verify before tray cycles and then the disc isn't readable on the computer.

BWcapture

Hello, 

I have had the issue occasionally over the years and I think I discovered the common thread. I always have "verify" selected when I burn a data DVD. I use a laptop so the tray does not close when attempting to cycle between write and verify. If I close the drive tray and wait 20 seconds then the verify always starts successfully and the disc can be read on the laptop after completed. However, if I close the tray and tell Imgburn to start the verify before the disc drive is 100% quiet, then the verify fails to start or gives an error. Also then the laptop refuses to recognize the disc as having data even after restarting the computer and reinstalling drivers for the disk drive. However the disc will almost always (at least 7 out of 10 times) load on my other 2 computers. I am sure the burn is always successful but why won't the data be recognized on this computer, Is the burn not finalized before verifying? I know that I can do the verify as a separate task after, I do not need to select the verify to start immediately after burn and perhaps that's the best way but then I risk forgetting to verify. What is happening? Thank you so much or any enlightenment.

Edited by BWcapture

• BWcapture changed the title to Verify fails because I start verify before tray cycles and then the disc isn't readable on the computer.

Discs are finalized before Verifies.  Otherwise, there is no data.  But, if you're getting Verifies that won't start on this laptop but you take those discs to another computer and Verify starts, then the discs are finalized.

As to the root issue posted about, I can't see what might cause that.  Particularly why the disc won't be recognized even after restarting the laptop.

I doubt it would help, but you could try changing the I/O Interface in the Settings and see if you get better results.

How are you even telling it to start the verify process? I don’t recall giving the user an option to speed things up. It cycles the tray and then proceeds once the drive thinks it’s ready again. If you have to push the tray in manually, it would just wait longer.

That's something I didn't think of.  On drives that don't auto cycle, ImgBurn will pop up a window saying to manually insert the tray.  This window pops up relatively instantly after the tray is ejected.  So, there shouldn't be any time for the user to reinsert the tray before the Verify starts.

The message pops up instantly stating that the tray failed to cycle (because it's a laptop). 
When I have the issue is when I push the tray back in after the message and do not wait until the drive is 100% idle before pressing OK on that pop-up. I had a similar issue yesterday on one burn where I left the tray open a couple hours before closing it to initiate the verify. That was a rare occurrence though so I do not know if waiting too long will always cause this, but not waiting long enough always does. The verify would not initiate and the disc has not read on this computer even after restarts and inserting another disc before trying again, but it read on my other computer perfectly. It's a very odd phenomenon. 

Edited by BWcapture

I'd rather not intentionally cause it, but if it should happen I'll try to remember to screen shot. It's not impossible that Windows 10 is contributing to the issue somehow as my other 2 computers are WinXP and Win8.1. The discs nearly always read fine on those 2 computers after these circumstances and I don't recall having this issue burning on them. 

3 hours ago, BWcapture said:

my other 2 computers are WinXP and Win8.1

Unless you must keep WinXP for some reason one should not still be using that at this point as it's not had any security updates since April 2014. Windows 7 lost support in Jan 2020.

I suggest putting Linux (Linux Mint v21.0-Xfce) on it as then you would have a secure internet machine and ImgBurn works okay on Linux once setup properly. I can even use KProbe (it's good for checking burn quality of CD/DVD if you got a Liteon drive etc) on Linux to through Wine etc.

Linux should not have trouble reading the discs you burned with ImgBurn.

Edited by ThaCrip

On 11/11/2022 at 8:01 AM, BWcapture said:

The message pops up instantly stating that the tray failed to cycle (because it's a laptop). 
When I have the issue is when I push the tray back in after the message and do not wait until the drive is 100% idle before pressing OK on that pop-up. I had a similar issue yesterday on one burn where I left the tray open a couple hours before closing it to initiate the verify. That was a rare occurrence though so I do not know if waiting too long will always cause this, but not waiting long enough always does. The verify would not initiate and the disc has not read on this computer even after restarts and inserting another disc before trying again, but it read on my other computer perfectly. It's a very odd phenomenon. 

Re-read the above message and I meant to say --
I had a similar issue yesterday on a burn where I closed the tray and forgot about it for a couple hours before pressing ok to initiate the verify process.

Anyhow, just a suggestion that you may want to adjust that pop-up message to suggest waiting for the drive to become idle / stop spinning or whatever before pressing okay to initiate the verify. It may save some coasters and possible headaches in the future for some people.  

And about XP, it works great for many things and is far more reliable for those things than Windows 10. I have no concern about security. 

Edited by BWcapture

2 hours ago, BWcapture said:

And about XP, it works great for many things and is far more reliable for those things than Windows 10. I have no concern about security. 

If that is pretty much a offline computer then it's not a problem to continue using WinXP. but if you use it online for browsing websites fairly regularly it's unwise to use that as even looking at Firefox and Chrome browsers it appears they dropped support of those on Windows XP years ago as if you can't install a recent version of those there is likely plenty of flaws one could exploit in the browser just by visiting a compromised site.

so even if you want to roll-the-dice a bit, even assuming you can find a half way decent updated browser, I would avoid doing anything important on that computer online on the side of caution to avoid any potential virus infection just by visiting a website. because it could be possible that just by visiting a site it might take advantage of a browser flaw to gain access to the system since nothing will be patched at all in relation to flaws related to WinXP in the browser and OS, so if someone can get by the browser and exploit a flaw in the OS, you could have a problem. I am not sure how likely this is to occur, but I would definitely not take the chance if this is used to do anything important online like banking or sign into important sites you care about etc.

so basically unless there is a certain software you use that only works on Windows, it's wise to install Linux (which is completely free) on that older system since then you would have a reliable updated machine that's safe to use online and is secure. for example... Mint v21.0-Xfce (which is basically what I got installed on all three of my computers with one of those computers being a high end motherboard board I had since March 2006, as it's basically higher end 2005 motherboard tech, and is limited to 4GB of RAM as that's the motherboards limit) is supported until April 2027 with updates, and like I mentioned, ImgBurn works on this (along with some level of Windows programs(I use Foobar2000 which is a quality music playback/conversion program through Linux to), even though obviously, not all Windows programs will work on Linux through Wine) along with updated versions of browsers like Firefox/Chrome etc. I personally use Firefox as my primary browser and I have Chromium as a backup, but there are other choices like the official Chrome if you prefer that etc.

just some thoughts in case you are not aware of this stuff ;)

Edited by ThaCrip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.