Error Couldn't find cells used for layer break followed by I/O Error (New Drive or SATA Cable?)

F1reP0wer

Hello,

I've been using ImgBurn for the past 7-8 years and never had any problems with it, until recently. I've had some issues which started after moving a dvd drive to another PC. I've had the DVD Drive from before 2016. Here's the model:
Samsung SH-224FB/BEBE 24x SATA
I've built the PC myself (actually my brother did. I couldn't even replace RAM inside a PC xD) and was wondering if perhaps my DVD Drive was old enough to replace or if it's just my new/old SATA that's causing issues. Every once and a while my DVD Drive has these errors "0x02". Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Some forum posts stated that it's either a really poor quality DVD, or the Drive is malfunctining. My question is quite simple, whats the most likely culprit? The Drive or the SATA Cable? I don't have any new SATA cables lying around, and just thought, I might as well ask if it's even worth buying any. 

Here's the log if it's needed

ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)
Total Physical Memory: 16.704.036 KiB  -  Available: 13.621.616 KiB
Initialising SPTI...
Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
-> Drive 1 - Info: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB SB01 (G:) (SATA)
Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM, 1 BD-ROM/HD DVD-ROM and 1 BD-RE XL!
Operation Started!
Building Image Tree...
Checking Directory Depth...
Calculating Totals...
Preparing Image...
Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break!
The minimal size of this image is 4076149 sectors.
The layer break must be between sectors 1989237 and 2086912.
Sector 1989237 falls within VTS_01 (Title), which starts at sector 126001.
Relative to the start of VTS_01 (Title), the layer break must be between sectors 1863236 and 1960911.
Relative sector 1863236 falls within PGC 1, Cell 10, which starts at relative sector 1799474 and ends at 1974745.
Relative to the start of Cell 10, try splitting between sectors 63762 (124,54 MiB) and 161437 (315,31 MiB).
Checking Path Length...
Contents: 14 Files, 2 Folders
Content Type: DVD Video
Data Type: MODE1/2048
File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
IFO/BUP 32K Padding: Enabled
Region Code: 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; 7; 8
TV System: PAL
Size: 8.347.369.472 bytes
Sectors: 4.075.864
Image Size: 8.347.975.680 bytes
Image Sectors: 4.076.160
Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:01:57
Operation Started!
Source File: -==/\/[BUILD IMAGE]\/\==-
Source File Sectors: 4.076.160 (MODE1/2048)
Source File Size: 8.347.975.680 bytes
Source File Volume Set Identifier: 5582ADEA003E3274
Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.5.8.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!
Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
Source File File System(s): ISO9660; UDF (1.02)
Destination Device: [0:0:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB SB01 (G:) (SATA)
Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: CMC MAG-D03-64)
Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 4x
Destination Media Sectors: 4.173.824
Destination Media L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2.086.912 (Changeable: Yes)
Write Mode: DVD
Write Type: DAO
Write Speed: MAX
DVD+R DL Reserve Track: No
Link Size: Auto
Lock Volume: Yes
Test Mode: No
OPC: No
BURN-Proof: Enabled
Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 5.540 KB/s (4x)
Book Type Setting: DVD-ROM
Optimal L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2.038.080
Optimal L0 Data Zone Method: ECC Block Boundary
Set L0 Data Zone Capacity Succeeded!
L0 Data Zone Capacity - Effective: 2.038.080
Filling Buffer... (80 MiB)
Writing LeadIn...
Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 4076159)
Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 4076159)
Writing Layer 0... (LBA: 0 - 2038079)
Failed to Write Sectors 918016 - 918047 - Reason: Write Error
Retrying (1 of 20)...
Retry Failed - Reason: Invalid Address For Write
Retrying (2 of 20)...
Retrying (3 of 20)...
Retrying (4 of 20)...
Retrying (5 of 20)...
Retrying (6 of 20)...
Retrying (7 of 20)...
Retrying (8 of 20)...
Retrying (9 of 20)...
Retrying (10 of 20)...
Retrying (11 of 20)...
Retrying (12 of 20)...
Retrying (13 of 20)...
Retrying (14 of 20)...
Retrying (15 of 20)...
Retrying (16 of 20)...
Retrying (17 of 20)...
Retrying (18 of 20)...
Retrying (19 of 20)...
Retrying (20 of 20)...
Retrying (21)...
Retrying (22)...
Retrying (23)...
Retrying (24)...
Retrying (25)...
Retrying (26)...
Retrying (27)...
Retrying (28)...
Retrying (29)...
Failed to Write Sectors 918016 - 918047 - Reason: Write Error
Next Writable Address: 917792
Synchronising Cache...
Closing Track...
Finalising Disc...
Failed to Write Image!
Exporting Graph Data...
Graph Data File: C:\Users\F1reP0wer\AppData\Roaming\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\TSSTcorp_CDDVDW_SH-224DB_SB01_VRIJDAG-2-DECEMBER-2022_21-49_CMC_MAG-D03-64_MAX.ibg
Export Successfully Completed!
Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:27:30
Average Write Rate: 1.584 KiB/s (1.2x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5.468 KiB/s (4.0x)

If you need the graph file just ask ;)

Edited by F1reP0wer

Here's the most likely culprit:

Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: CMC MAG-D03-64)

The only reliable DVD+R DL is MKM media from Verbatim DataLife Plus/AZO.  NOT the Verbatim Life Series, which are the CMC junk.  You can only find the good Verbatim in online stores, usually.

The first thing I'd do is switch from the junk media to quality.  If it still fails on quality, then I'd begin investigating other issues.  Switching to quality media is the easiest and cheapest solution.  So, might as well start there.

Sorry for the question but why does everone say that CMC discs are bad? I found forum posts from 10 years ago stating the same, but never found any other explanation besides that they have bad quality. Is there any article about CMC discs and why they are so bad? Also I have two drives, sorry for removing both my Virtual CloneDrive (BD) and physical drive (also BD) from the log. Didn't know which one was which and just thought it was confusing. The BD drive is fine, with the exact same media type. The question still remains: Can it even be the SATA cable?

Besides just doing a general search for CMC, I don't know what you can find on the web.  I know from experience CMC is junk.  I wasted like $2,500 before someone turned me on to CMC.  I kept having failure after failure, despite replacing hardware and getting more discs.  Then, someone mentioned CMC and I checked the discs I was using.  Optodisc switched from their quality discs to CMC, and that explained my failures.  When I stopped using the CMC Optodisc and began using the Mitsubishi high quality discs, they worked every time.

I also have other emperical evidence.  CMC DVD+R DL are trash.  After a year from burning, even though they passed burn and Verify, they were totally unreadable.

More evidence: more than 50% of the problems on this board were cured when people switched away from CMC crap to some quality like MKM/Mitsubishi or Taiyo Yuden.

CMC, when they make it themselves, make the cheapest quality media out there.  They will either fail to burn, fail to Verify, fail to read/play properly in hardware, or if they pass all of those, will die much sooner than quality media.

MCC is Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation.  Those discs are one of the top two of the best discs you can get out there.

Never heard of DAXON-AZ3-00, so I'd be wary of anything I'm unfamiliar with.  So, if those DAXON's are the ones you used it the burn from the posted Log, that means DAXON is junk CMC media.  Which makes sense.  Any no name brand is cheaper because it's cheap CMC trash.

I'd try those MCC discs and see if they turn out any better.  The MCC's are the DataLife Plus/AZO from Verbatim, which are the top quality discs out there now.

Basically dbminter pretty much bottom lined things in general with Mitsubishi/Taiyo Yuden being the safe/quality choices.

with that said, for general CD-R media I got some cheap Verbatim CD-R (CMC Magnetics) and while it's not the higher quality Mitsubishi, and it works well enough, but I largely just use it for burning standard audio CD's (minimal amount for very limited amount of data) and in this case it's nice and even offers the best overburning of the discs I have owned as they will burn at least 2min15sec over the normal 80min limit. I am not sure how long these discs will last, but I suspect CD-R media in general is less picky than DVD. because doing some disc quality checks on these CMC Magnetics Verbatim CD-R's with my old Liteon 24102b CD-RW (IDE) drive, as it's the only drive I have that scan scan CD-R media properly, it's within good standards currently. but on DVD recordable media, especially if it's anything you care about long term, I would just stick to Mitsubishi/TY as a general rule, even though it's possible other media will last a rather long time to as I have a small amount of DVD discs I burned back in the 2000's decade (that's not of the Mitsubishi/TY brand) and they still scan well to this day as just checking the pictures a moment ago I saved from KProbe for my non-Mitsubishi/TY media I have one disc that was burned on Nov 5th 2005 and scanned with KProbe on March 26th 2022 and it's still showing a quality burn (PIF spike is no higher than a 2 at any point and even the PIE's are basically top notch and total PIF's are low etc). it's a "DVD+R CMC MAGM01 [CMC Magnetics Corporation]" which is probably the oldest burned DVD disc I still have, or close to it.

another non-Mitsubishi/TY disc I got, while not as good of a burn quality as the MAGM01 mentioned above, it's still good enough overall as it was burned about March/April 2012 and I scanned it on May 2nd 2022 as the only a bit more concerning part is the single PIF spike of 9 and of 5 as besides those two small parts the rest tops out in the 3 or less range which is well within quality, although a very high percentage of the PIF's are 2 or less and the general PIE's (which are not as important as PIF's in general) are still well within a standard I am not worried about as that tops out at 53 (I think the official spec is somewhere over 200, meaning anything of say no higher than about 2xx is still within spec) but a good portion of the disc ain't far from what's close enough to about as good as your going to get. but given a disc I burned not all that long ago that actually failed to read data showed for a disc scan, assuming that's a good ball park estimate for failure to read the disc, I suspect this disc with the single 9 and 5 spike ain't going to be failing for the foreseeable future for general data backup.

point is, while you can still get media that will last that's not of the Mitsubishi/TY brands, it's a bit more of a gamble. but what dbminter said about DVD+R DL media is all that more true as that media tends to be more picky than typical 4.7GB recordable DVD media is, so it's all the more reason to just outright avoid it unless you don't mind gambling and get it dirt cheap.

Thanks for sharing your opinion ThaCrip, and thanks dbminter for pointing out what MCC stands for. Honestly it was just luck that I purchased them cheap, and they turned out to be the best quality. €5 is nearly nothing for 20-30 of them.

I will try burning them in the drive that (sometimes) fails and if that doesn't work, I will probably buy a new drive.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone of you had their drives replaced because they stopped working? How long did it take for the old drive to break? And how often did you use the drive? I don't use the drive very often, on average 3 discs written a month and 4 read. It has worked for about 6 years. I just hope that it will still take 5 years before it is definitely broken.

Sorry if my English isn't perfect. I try my best, but sometimes I just misspell a word. Feel free to correct me on any grammar issues.

Well, I'm not the best person to ask.  I have terrible "luck" and I use my drives to burn something probably on average once per day.  My general average mean time before failure is about 7 months.  The best I ever had was a Pioneer that lasted 2 and a half years.  Pioneer, though, is NOWHERE near that level of high quality anymore.

And some people have optical drives that last for a decade.

12 hours ago, F1reP0wer said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone of you had their drives replaced because they stopped working? How long did it take for the old drive to break? And how often did you use the drive? I don't use the drive very often, on average 3 discs written a month and 4 read. It has worked for about 6 years. I just hope that it will still take 5 years before it is definitely broken.

While I am just one person, all of my drives still work and nearly all are still in use installed in either my primary PC or backup computer. but in all honestly, I don't burn stuff regularly anymore, but a little here and there, mostly occasional high importance data backup or a standard AUDIO CD (which ill sometimes overburn a bit past 80min if I need to) from time-to-time and I got plenty of burnable media that I am sure ill be set for the foreseeable future.

I am not sure how many discs my CD/DVD burners have burned on each burner but I would guess some of my older CD/DVD burners are probably over a hundred discs at least and could be hundreds of discs over the years, especially if you count burning CD-RW/DVD+RW types of discs as a burn. so as a ball park figure, 100-500 burns on my more heavier used burners. but any burners that seen any real use from me probably have a minimum of 50-100 burns on them.

I first got into CD burning in I am pretty sure it was 1998 as it was a Memorex burner, I think 2x2x6 speed, but I never kept this for long etc as I don't even remember what happened to it but I suspect it was left in a old computer (Pentium 133Mhz) I eventually got rid of at some point (because I know in those days my first computer in general was 1995, then 1996, then 2000, then 2001, then 2006, then 2012 is the gist of all of the desktop computers I ever owned). but putting this aside (as I think I might have temporarily used that Memorex 2x2x6 and might have swapped it for something similar briefly back in the day) I basically still have all of my other CD/DVD burners as shown below...

My two CD burners I still have...

-HP 8x4x32 CD-RW (IDE) drive which has a mfg date of May 2000. I even played with this a bit in the last year or two by connecting it to one of those external SATA/IDE to USB3 devices and it worked with ImgBurn. but this burner basically collects dust even though it does work as I tested one of my CD-RW discs on it.

-Liteon 24102b (24x10x40x) CD-RW (IDE) drive. has a Dec 2001 mfg date I think which probably means I have had it since 2002, so 20 years now. I would say this was my first quality CD burner I got and the last one I bought to. I remember this could copy 'SafeDisc v2' copy protection in the old days.

I have only owned 3 DVD burners and all still work...

-Liteon 1673s (IDE) (my first DVD burner). I got this in 2005.

-Sony Optiarc 7240s (SATA) (my second DVD burner). I think this is from 2009 or so.

-Liteon iHAS-324B (SATA) (my third DVD burner). I think this is from 2011 or so.

but out of the three DVD burners the first two most likely have the most burned discs on them as I mainly bought the iHAS-324B for XBox360 backup years ago and only fairly recently started to use it to burn certain discs I have (new old stock of Verbatim 8x (MCC 003)) since it seems to be the best of the three DVD burners I got on these media. but the Verbatim DVD-R and DVD+R 16x rated discs I had quite a few years ago (and still have much of these discs left from roughly a decade ago without checking) burns well on the 7240s and I would assume the iHAS-324B to and maybe even fairly well on the old drive from 2005. but I know some discs I have the drive from 2005 is the worst burn quality as shown by KProbe.

basically the 24102b/1673s is still in my backup computer (since it's got IDE ports) and the 7240s/iHAS-324B are in my primary PC.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.