ImgBurn supports 63/126 volume labels - What ISO document and section and field name is this in? I'm gonna nag Microsoft until they fix it!

AlbertEinstein

I burned a new BD-R recently using Unicode characters with smiley faces. Okay, cool. But Microsoft's crappy File Explorer still only shows 32 characters. I submitted feedback telling them to update their crapware to support the 63/126 characters as stated in the OSTA UDF standard. But I couldn't pinpoint the exact section and field structure that verifies this. Can someone point that out to me? It just bugs me that the ImgBurn software is about the only optical media software to support this properly.

Yes, optical media is old, and less common, but I still think it's "dope" and I still use it. For awhile anyways. I hope they fix this someday soon!

On 12/18/2022 at 11:12 AM, AlbertEinstein said:

Yes, optical media is old, and less common, but I still think it's "dope" and I still use it. For awhile anyways.

I figure at the very least, it's still the best alternative to hard drives for long term data storage at a reasonable price, at least DVD recordable. what puts me off BD-R is initial costs and it's a bit less time proven as CD/DVD is and a lot less people have drives that can read BluRay discs where as just about anyone with a drive that can read optical media will read CD/DVD.

so as long as someone does not have many TB's of data to backup, standard DVD is pretty good for a more limited amount (like say less than 1TB or so) of data storage. I don't burn much to CD/DVD anymore but I still do for a limited amount of higher importance data backup.

I use BD-R even for DVD and CD sized data backups.  BD-R is metal oxides that are burned, so they will last much longer than the organic dyes used in CD and DVD.  And with BD-R being less than $1 each when bought in bulks of 50 from Amazon.com, I don't mind paying a little extra for the longer shelf life.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.