Cd-player will not play burned cd

ornulv

Hello.

Experiencing some instabilities with Brasero in Linux, I downloaded ImgBurn to a desktop with W11. 

Burning a lot of downloaded Mp3 music files to cd, I burned a couple using ImgBurn.

The process went well, but my cd-player, Unico CDE, would not play them.

There is nothing wrong with the cds, the play in W Media Player.

The ones I have burned with Brasero, have always played well in the Unico cd-player.

What can the reason be for the non-acceptance of the player?

Will be grateful for suggestions!

Well, it sounds like you didn't covert the MP3's to Audio CD format.  Did you or did you just burn the MP3's to CD directly?  If you did the latter, then unless your CD player natively supports playback of MP3's, the disc won't play.

If you want to create an Audio CD, you will need to use Create CUE file under Tools and burn that to a CD.

Well, I have tried this option now, but the result is the same.     I chose Tools, create CUE-file, add files, open them, then its analyzing, then shows green line, 85%, then ,ok and, save.  CUE-file successfully created!  Then I go to, file, browse for a source file, chose my files, and, open.    Then, asking if use Joliet- file system, not UDF, I have tried both.       So, the files in my download map, have they been changed to CUE, or do I need to do something more with them?

The log says that everything is ok, except the first time, then there were a yellow warning triangle attached to each file.   Also, the burning process stops in the middle, the tray opens, app says it cannot close the tray, so I close, tap OK, the burning proceeds to the end.

It shouldn't be asking you for Joliet or any file system if you're using .CUE to create an audio CD.  After you save the .CUE, you load it in Write mode or double clicking on it may open the .CUE in Write mode for you.  Then, you burn the .CUE file to CD.

A screenshot showing these yellow triangles may help as I don't know what that exactly means in this case.

11 hours ago, ornulv said:

Experiencing some instabilities with Brasero in Linux, I downloaded ImgBurn to a desktop with W11

Use ImgBurn on Linux instead ;)

if you need certain audio file formats it's easy enough on Linux as you can use Foobar2000 on Linux as that's what I use for general audio playback/conversion.

but when burning a standard audio CD on Linux with ImgBurn (I even overburned some standard audio CD's by 2min15sec (so total of 82min15sec) and work well. but the amount you can overburn will vary from brand of CD-R as I am using your standard cheap Verbatim CD-R with CMC Magnetics media code as these are the furthest I overburned CD-R's successfully), I suggest temporarily converting your audio files (preferably from FLAC since it's optimal with no sound quality loss) to WAV since ImgBurn can directly use standard WAV format without issue on Linux. like when I burn a standard audio CD with ImgBurn on Linux, I always convert to standard WAV format first temporarily (from my FLAC audio files) as ImgBurn will work without any problems then.

but like dbminter said, you basically create standard audio CD's in ImgBurn from "Tools > Create CUE File...". then you can drag-and-drop WAV files into ImgBurn, select whatever options you want, save the cue file, then 'Mode > Write' and drag-and-drop CUE file in here and burn is the basic idea.

p.s. when burning standard audio CD's it's always best to burn from FLAC files instead of MP3 for optimal sound quality since FLAC is a lossless format where as MP3 is not. granted, a decent bit rate MP3 will probably still be 'good enough' when burned back to a standard audio CD for most people though. but if all you have is MP3, there is nothing you can do at this point but just convert them back to WAV and then burn on Linux through ImgBurn.

Edited by ThaCrip

9 hours ago, ornulv said:

Ok Thanks for information.   Basically, its Mp3 files I burn,  that is the format they come in ,they are 320, but from time to time its Flac.

With 320kbps that's high enough to where most if not a high percentage of people won't be able to tell the difference between the lossless(FLAC etc) and lossy(MP3 etc) files. so even though it's more proper to use FLAC(or any lossless format) when creating a standard audio CD, you are ultimately good at the end of the day.

I create MP3's from FLAC with Foobar2000 (with the 'encoders pack' installed) but I use the V5 (130kbps average) setting since it's more quite storage space efficient (I realize storage space is cheap nowadays, but it's more of the thought of it though) and sound quality is high enough to where I would bet most people won't notice any difference as while 320kbps is good sound quality wise (it's the highest possible MP3 setting), it's a waste of storage space and is inefficient since you can get basically the same sound quality but at noticeably less bit rate. but generally speaking if you are using MP3, I suggest using V5 (130kbps average) or if you prefer to play it a bit safer V2 (190kbps average) is a safe bet as it's probably a good balance of file size/sound quality with MP3 erring on the side of sound quality. but V0 (245kbps average) is the highest of the variable bit rate settings as there is pretty much no need to go beyond that at the very most with MP3. granted, I realize if you can't re-rip from FLAC then what you got is what you got though as it's best to just leave them as they are since it's generally best avoided converting from lossy to lossy since it will just further degrade the MP3 files etc.

p.s. to get ImgBurn working on Linux, you have to tweak things a bit though (but after this you just load up the program and use it like usual). but the gist of it is when loading up ImgBurn, Wine (Wine is basically a program for Linux that allows some Windows programs to run on Linux) has to be set to WinXP mode and on Wine versions newer than about the v4 series when loading up ImgBurn you have to adjust 'Tools > Settings > I/O' and on 'Interface' select 'SPTI - Microsoft' and for 'SPTI - Device Enumeration Method' you select 'Device Interface' (or 'Drive Letter') and press okay then ImgBurn will now see your CD/DVD etc burners. if you don't use the 'WinXP' mode on Wine, ImgBurn will immediately hang upon loading on Linux. I suggest setting up ImgBurn through PlayOnLinux as it keeps it separated from the system installed Wine, but this is optional as you can use the system installed Wine if you want to (which no Wine software is installed on Linux by default).

6 hours ago, dbminter said:

If you want ImgBurn to burn FLAC to Audio CD, you'll need to download and run something called madFLAC.

Yeah, I heard about that. but, at least on Linux,  I don't think add-ons like that work, at least to my knowledge. which is why I just convert to standard WAV (with Foobar2000) which ImgBurn can use natively with no additional stuff required.

For 2 decades, I stuck with 320 KBPS MP3 because that was good enough.  But, with the abundance of free space available now on things like USB HDD's, I switched to FLAC.  And iTunes, which I primarily use now for CD extraction, uses M4A, but I choose Lossless for the quality of the rips.

Yeah, I keep anything of importance in FLAC format to as it's always a reliable high quality source if you need to convert to a lossy file from. but on-the-go I tend to use MP3 @ V5 (130kbps average) as it's good enough quality and efficient with storage space and widely supported.

p.s. standard Audio CD's (16/44.1) will never get outdated either simply because even at that rate it's already exceeding human hearing. so all of those "HD" or "hi-res" audio files/formats are purely marketing junk and just a waste of storage space as I always keep all of my lossless audio in standard 16/44.1 format since it's less space then "HD" audio and quality is CD level quality which will never get outdated.

I have some older MP3's back from 1997 when I first started ripping CD's with a piece of software called MusicMatch Jukebox that were like 160 KBPS back before I knew of the different quality settings.  160 was the default.  Once I learned the "difference," I changed the default to 320.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.