Problem burn dvds

britannia90

I would doubt it's the discs as you're using MCC in the Disc ID from the screenshot shows.  So, you're using Mitsubishi media, which is the best out there.  Thus, I would put it down to your drive.  Either it's reached the end of its life or it has a firmware conflict with that particular media.

Is your burner a slim line model?  That could also be the problem.

My drive is ATAPI iHAS122 F

any software for me to test if the drive is good or bad?

now i got worried because a few months ago on this drive i burned important files on MDisc DVD but verify test and nero discspeed did not show any burning errors

this drive I used little and in few burns

Edited by britannia90

I abandoned LiteOn years ago as they made my first BD burner and it was junk.  So, I don't know anything about their quality anymore.  It is not a slim model unit, so that wouldn't be the problem.

No, there is no software that will determine a drive is bad.

You could check for a firmware update to the drive, apply it if it exists, and try again.  In Write mode, right click on the drive in question and choose the last item in the context menu which should be to check for a firmware update.

If Verify completed and DiscSpeed returned no errors, that's good enough for me.  I don't even bother with DiscSpeed results at all.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if the media has changed and your burner does not like them given my experience not long ago as I probably have a similar burner as you do.

because I got a batch of Verbatim DVD-R 100-pack within the last year or two from Amazon and had to send it back due to so-so burn quality (while the small amount of burns I did were still technically readable(passed ImgBurn's 'verify'), besides one, KProbe scan showed burn quality was so-so compared to their usual standards) and I have the same type of discs (same media code and everything) I bought back in Jan 2014 and those still burn well on the same two burners I had a long time now (i.e. Liteon iHAS-324B(which I think I got in 2011 as I initially primary got this for XBox360 game burning))/Sony Optiarc 7240s(I had this since about 2009)). so I would assume something has changed, or maybe I happen to get a bad batch etc.

but that experience was beneficial for me as now I got a rough idea how bad a KProbe scan has to be before outright read failure will occur on the disc (the one that failed to 'verify' on ImgBurn) since I scanned that particular disc.

but I see the OP is trying to burn 'Windows'. the newest Windows 10 ISO's have not been small enough to fit on DVD media for years now so I just use a multi-boot USB stick to directly load ISO's. Windows 7 SP1 ISO will fit on a regular DVD but if you update that same Windows 7 ISO so it's got all updates as to about Jan 2023, it's too large to fit on a regular 4.7GB DVD.

p.s. but once I got a refund and sent those back I found some new old stock of Verbatim 8x media (MCC 003) on Ebay and those burn pretty much as expected (there is some fluctuation in burn quality but it's still much closer to higher burn quality than low burn quality).

EDIT: I just noticed the brand on the OP's is generic. so I would probably lean towards that being the problem. still, it's possible even going with brand name (Verbatim DVD-R etc), unless I got a bad batch, might not like that burner since it's probably similar enough to my iHAS324B.

52 minutes ago, dbminter said:

If Verify completed and DiscSpeed returned no errors, that's good enough for me.  I don't even bother with DiscSpeed results at all.

While that's probably generally okay if your burner likes your media, anything I care about I don't really take a chance and make sure it scans well with KProbe (basically similar to DiscSpeed) since that's a bit more accurate way to gauge burn quality. because if it's in the ball park of a higher quality burn, then it just buys you that much more time should the disc start to degrade over the years before the DVD burner/reader itself will fail to read the data on the disc. because if ones burn quality is so-so to begin with it will probably fail that much quicker.

another semi-quick test one could probably do it get a rough indication of burn quality, assuming they don't want to use KProbe/DiscSpeed, is just copying the data back from the disc to the computer. like if it slows down during the copy, then that's a rough indication that at least that DVD burner/reader is at least slightly struggling to read it. because generally if a KProbe/DiscSpeed test shows it's got solid burn quality, chances are when you copy data from the disc back to hard drive it will read it with no slow down etc.

so I guess it just depends on how important ones data is on how far they want to take things in this regard whether a simple burn/verify with ImgBurn is enough, or they want to take it a bit further with more details on KProbe/DiscSpeed etc.

Edited by ThaCrip

There is precedent for running changes in media manufacturing that require firmware updates to make them work with a drive again.  For years, Verbatim MCC DVD-R were fine with the LG WH16NS60.  Then, they started constantly failing on any NS60 I tried.  I told LG this and after the next firmware update, MCC DVD-R resumed working properly with the NS60.

I see. that's nice and all that the mfg actually did something, but assuming what I had was not a bad batch, then somewhat older DVD burners might not like current Verbatim DVD-R media and I can't imagine they will release any more firmware updates for older drives at this point in time.

but off the top of my head... you would think DVD media would not really change in the last decade or so since the technology has been mature for probably a good 10-15 years now.

I recommended the OP check the firmware because I wasn't aware what the current firmware version was.  An update might have been released and the OP might have had a drive that was never flashed with any updates since leaving the factory.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.