Labels in build mode

Syncline

Hi and first off, thanks for all your hard work on this great program and it's predecessor DVD Dec. I've been using ImgBurn since it's inital release to handle the burning of my image files but it's only recently that I've started playing around with the build mode to see if I could use this as my main burning program for doing data backups as well as image files. Now not being a programmer, I'm not sure how hard this suggestion would be to implement (or if you'd see a need to do it in the first place B) ), but I was wondering if it would be possible to add a button to the labels tab to create the label using the current system date and time so when it comes to cataloguing backups I can distinguish between disks using the label. I realize this is a lazy man's request, but I thought I'd throw out the idea and see where it lands.

Thanks again for all the hard work you put into this program.

Rob

The format I started out with are from way back in the early EasyCD Creator days and have just stuck with it because I'm used to it, is YYMMDD_HHMM. I would assume this is the short date format you're talking about. However, I'm not to picky because anyway you decide to do it would come up with a unique label which is mainly what I'm after.

This would be a handy feature. Other burning apps I've used set the volume label to YYMMDD_HHMM, though I'd personally prefer YYYYMMDD_HHMM. Perhaps somewhere in the Settings (there seems to be a good amount of room on the Build settings tab) you could ask the user for preferred format from a couple of choices and then use that whenever a volume label is not specified.

Following Pudah's line of thought, instead of selecting from a predetermined formats, another way might be to use a system like doing a custom format in a spreadsheet where the user enters his preference. Although this will add to the complexity of implementing this suggestion (to what degree I'm not sure).

lol I can assure you, there's NO room on the build tab now!

but yes, I had also been thinking along the lines of letting the user select the format for this text.

Maybe just a context menu on the 'insert date' button where it lists the options (and remembers which one you want to use).

I'd personally prefer YYYYMMDD_HHMM.

YYYYMMDD_HHMM makes the most sense to me. This makes alphabetizing simpler since your most signigicant time is to the left, and least signigicant is on the right. This is how I normally label folders that contain versions of projects. :)

I'd personally prefer YYYYMMDD_HHMM.

YYYYMMDD_HHMM makes the most sense to me. This makes alphabetizing simpler since your most signigicant time is to the left, and least signigicant is on the right. This is how I normally label folders that contain versions of projects. :)

+2 for YYYMMDD_HHMM, due to the ability to sort on filename column in Explorer.

I believe this is also the ISO date format.

+2 for YYYMMDD_HHMM, due to the ability to sort on filename column in Explorer.

I believe this is also the ISO date format.

+3 for this, it means if you catalog the disks they are much easier to sort meaningfully on the label.

Thanks,

Mark

You can also now specify ...

WE can? :w00t: , hunts round busily for hidden access to beta version with this enabled..... :ermm:

I presume that meant we *will* be able to, not fair getting my hopes up like that. :(

Hunts some more just in case.....

Ok, sits waiting patiently. :innocent:

Mark

Hunts a bit more.....

Edited by MarkC

• 4 months later...

According to the change log, this has been implemented in version 2.2.0.0,

Added: A button on the 'volume label' windows to have it insert the current date/time in YYYYMMDD_HHMM format.

But i'm now using 2.3.2.0 and I just cannot locate this button (in build mode!)

Either in the popup window or the Labels tab on the right.

I tried restoring setup defaults, same!

Please enlighten me ;)

See you!

TSR

I couldn't find it either - but I had already specified a label (via the DVD-TXT info). Maybe it is only there if the label is not present, but then I thought it took the folder name.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.