It Has Been Brought to My Attention

Pain_Man

I'm not sure "beserk" covers it, but opinions vary. The irony is that after a commerical drought in the 80s, Cash had a revival in the 90s just at the time his health began to fail. It was declining so quickly in the late 90s that many around him assumed he'd die first. But his wife preceeded him in 2003. And he followed three months later.

The album with "Personal Jesus" (The Man Comes Around, the "Man" in particular being Jesus) does have Trent Reznor's "Hurt" on it. At first, the story goes, Reznor was pissed that his song has been covered, he considers it deeply personal.

But after hearing Cash's cover, he really liked it.

Covers are nothing knew for, or were nothing new for The Man in Black. Typically, he only wrote 1/3rd of the songs on his LPs. Records have been gone for, what, 10-15 years and I still call 'em that.

I've only seen one of his videos and it wasn't anything like you describe. I tried to watch another on MSN Music, via WMP 11, and it crapped out.

Whether one's a Cash fan or not, his contributions to Rock n' Roll, Country, Folk, Rockabilly (in no particular order) are pivotal. Remember, he was big star before than that boy from Mississippi with famed pelvis.

He helped to make Rock n' Roll acceptable to Southern audiences.

Anyone who hasn't seen Walk the Line should. The movie doesn't follow all the facts but it stick as close to the truth as one can in 2 hours 10.

Your own

Personal Jesus

Pick up the receiver

I'll make up a believer

Believe it or not, Johnny Cash covered PJ on his second to last album. Needless to say, it's an entirely different song in his hands (voice?). He's been quoted as saying that he thought he was too self-righteous with his religion in the 70s. Covering "Personal Jesus" can only be a kind of repudiation of the sort of televangelists he associated with back then.

Oh, is that when Cash went berserk and started covering Nine Inch Nails songs and making weird music videos where he's pouring out goblets of wine over large piles of jewels? It's the only explanation I have of that odd Cash piece that plays over the opening credits of the remake of Dawn Of The Dead.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blu

I understand "Pommie" (we call 'em "Limeys" sometimes

Uh, "Septic Tanks"?

Who d'ya call that?

@PM

It is not offensive to call us Aussies.

Jesus, we do our own fair share of name calling - "Pommies", "Septic Tanks", the list goes on.

Don't fret.

Regards

Well, I say berserk only because it was so unrelated to anything he'd ever done before and his advanced age made me think he might have lost his mind. It was almost as big a 180 as when Pat Boone went punk.

As for the music video and song, I forget what it was. Was definitely in the 2000's. And, it may not have been jewels but there was a video with Cash pouring out a goblet of wine near the end over his life's successes or something like that. Sounded like a Reznor song, a bit self indulgent, biting the hand that feeds it, etc. :) Cash was old in it because he resembled more... well, there's no other way to say it, he looked more like Pope John Paul II.

Okay, found the video here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...dfeed&hl=en

It is Hurt and about 2:56 in he starts pouring out a goblet of wine over what I believe is supposedly to represent his worldly goods and how they will amount to nothing at the end of his life.

When I saw this the first time years ago, I just thought he had lost it in his old age. Now, I think it was more losing it from a fear of his own mortality.

Uh, "Septic Tanks"?

Who d'ya call that?

Septics...septic tank...yank.....

All a bit cor blimey Mary Poppins for me but there it is..

Just watch out if someone calls you a merchant.... :)

Anyway, Im off for a Monkey Spank now....cya.... :o:whistling:

Dave.

Edited by DasReich ~ Dave ~

....before going for a Sherman Klump and then another Sherman Tank.

Gawdon Bennet! i' Bobby Moawer 'as polopony. There is jack Pete Tong wiv a bi' ov da old rhymin' slang eh ? OK?

I use local colloquisms, none of that cockerknee rubbish!! :D

Ooops, I need a sherman. See you later! :blush:

Forgive me, Reich, I don't getcha.

Americans are sometimes called "septic tanks". Granted, we are sometimes full of shit--but who isn't?

And we (and the English) do call the French frogs.

But Septic Tanks? Must be that particularly Aussie sense of humor. Or, rather unique sense of humor.

"Fair dinkum." Hun? :huh: One of Steve Irwin's favorite expressions, along with, "Crikey that fucking hurt!"

Every dialect's got its own idiosyncracies. One of the television's many crimes is the loss of regional dialects, not to mention accents. In many big cities in the American South, close your eyes and you'd not know you weren't in a Northern or Western city.

"Network Standard" is what the linguists call this homogenization of American dialects. Canadian English is considered no different than American English; I imagine its undergoing to same loss of regional uniqueness (Grain & other friends from the GWN, that's not my opinion so don't bitch slap me; find a linguist and bitch slap him or her.) Ahhh, progress, you are a greedy bitch, exacting ever higher prices for thy favors.

Uh, "Septic Tanks"?

Who d'ya call that?

Septics...septic tank...yank.....

All a bit cor blimey Mary Poppins for me but there it is..

Just watch out if someone calls you a merchant.... :)

Anyway, Im off for a Monkey Spank now....cya.... :o:whistling:

Dave.

Well old bean....

As far as I know 'Septic Tank' as in Yank has no reference to Americans being full of Shit as you put it, but I think your probably right there.... for the majority (present company excluded of course... :P )

Not being a cock-a-nee I couldnt verify that though.

Isnt it the case most Ameican TV shows portray English people as talking like that all the time and Dressing like Pearly Kings and Queens? Or living in a village with horse and carts (also cock-a-nee ryming slang... :D ) outside a big castle?

Only kidding m8.

As far as I know rhyming slang is purely based on rhyming words, I cant think of an example which would point at the words actually meaning the objective. Please enlighten me if you can think of any...

Now Im off for a Brad then going down the Nuclear Sub...

Dave.

I spent last xmas in SC with the Mrs family, We were in Wal Mart one day grocery shopping and found that some people actually followed us around the store listening to me talk :unsure:

I found out that to really confuse people listening was talk really fast and everyone would just stare because they couldn't understand what i was saying , no need for any rhyming slang =))=))

But Septic Tanks? Must be that particularly Aussie sense of humor. Or, rather unique sense of humor.

PM, it's got nothing to do with insults, it's purely rhyming with the word yank.

Yank > Septic tank.

Cheque > Gooses neck.

Commodore > Dunnydoor. (A very popular car in Oz) Holden Commodore, made by GM. Or GMH to us.

ones and twos> shoes

Hampstead heath > teeth

lady from bristol > pistol

whistle and flute> suit

bended knees > cheese

blood and blister > sister

bottle of water > daughter

carving knife > wife

cheese and kisses > the missus

cuddle and kiss > a miss

for the majority (present company excluded of course... :P )

But of course! :thumbup:

As far as I know 'Septic Tank' as in Yank has no reference to Americans being full of Shit as you put it, but I think your probably right there....

That's nice to know. But you left out "as most of us are." If assholery were confined to one nation or one people then we could simply nuke them and, presto, no more assholes (There's actually a book called Assholes No More!).

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. And assholery also varies among particular peoples and nations depending upon the period in history. In the 18th century, the Germans were, by and large, not very warlike, rathe docile farmer-types.

We all know what happened in the 19th and first half of the 20th century.

In the 19th century European-Americans used to sell African-Americans to each other just blocks from the building where the document was which says, "All Men are created Equal--"

In the 18th century British politics was the most corrupt in history. In the 20th, British politicians, relatively speaking, have been among the cleanest.

And I could go and on and on ("What makes you think you don't already?!" That's Bubba, one of my 32 personalities. Shut the fuck up, Bubba, or I'm taking the beer away. And, no, we're not watching Dukes of Hazard again no matter how good Jessica Simpson's ass looks.)

Isnt it the case most Ameican TV shows portray English people as talking like that all the time and Dressing like Pearly Kings and Queens?

Not quite. But whenever movies or tv shows are made about ancient Rome (such as HBO's Rome) the actors always speak British. I don't know why, but we Americans just expect actors protraying Romans to have British accents. And it's almost universally true. (One exception would be Joaquin Phoenix's Commodus in Gladiator but he's a rare one.)

Remember: the English royals are more popular in America, their former subjects than they are in the UK. Maybe it's because we don't have to live with them? Or pay them? But probably it's because we don't have a monarchy, just quasi-monarchical presidents who's "regal" character is wholly subordinated to their political character.

Like grandparents, we can always send Chuck, Billy, Harry and Bess home when we've had our fun (tho' interestingly enough, Elizabeth II is the largest land-owner in Virginia--named after her namesake.)

Well old bean....

As far as I know 'Septic Tank' as in Yank has no reference to Americans being full of Shit as you put it, but I think your probably right there_for the majority (present company excluded of course... :P )

Not being a cock-a-nee I couldnt verify that though.

Isnt it the case most Ameican TV shows portray English people as talking like that all the time and Dressing like Pearly Kings and Queens? Or living in a village with horse and carts (also cock-a-nee ryming slang... :D ) outside a big castle?

Only kidding m8. But, of course. :D

Don't mind South Carolinians. They're still pissed off about the Civil War (losing it, that is).

They are different down there. And they'd much prefer you to a damned Yankee like myself (despite the fact I grew up in California and not in damned Yankeedom; i.e. the Northeast and Old Northwest--Ohio to Minnesota).

I spent last xmas in SC with the Mrs family, We were in Wal Mart one day grocery shopping and found that some people actually followed us around the store listening to me talk :unsure:

I found out that to really confuse people listening was talk really fast and everyone would just stare because they couldn't understand what i was saying , no need for any rhyming slang =))=))

I didn't take it as an insult. As I noted: I figured it was a particular Aussie thing

And now I understand, y'all have schooled me. The rhyming slang thing. I did not know that.

As far as I know, there's little of the resentment SOME Canadians feel towards America in Australia. So, honestly, I never thought it was a slam.

But I have seen anyone define "fair dinkum" yet. Or did Steven Irwin make that up?

PM, it's got nothing to do with insults, it's purely rhyming with the word yank.

Yank > Septic tank.

Cheque > Gooses neck.

Commodore > Dunnydoor. (A very popular car in Oz) Holden Commodore, made by GM. Or GMH to us.

The first and the last make sense. But, honestly, none of the rest do.

"Lady from bristol = pistol"? Never would have guessed that in a month of Sundays.

ones and twos> shoes

Hampstead heath > teeth

lady from bristol > pistol

whistle and flute> suit

bended knees > cheese

blood and blister > sister

bottle of water > daughter

carving knife > wife

cheese and kisses > the missus

cuddle and kiss > a miss

Fair dinkum is not an Irwinism. It goes back to the 1800s I am sure. It means, "for sure" or "no doubt". Or in its inquisitive form, "Fair dinkum, eh?" meaning "you don't say".

How it came about, well, FIIK.

BUT ....

"Fair dinkum, mate, the Aussies are gunna whip the pommies' arses today in the cricket".

Regards

Okay, I've got a question on one. What exactly is strewth? (I still remember that moment in the US Transformers comic book when Simon Furman, writing for us on this shore at the same time, had Shockwave rise out of the Thames? I forget, and crush this bum who sees him rising, who shrieks "STREWTH!" as a giant hand shadow falls over him. :devil:) It's The Truth? "'s the truth!"

Okay, I've got a question on one. What exactly is strewth? (I still remember that moment in the US Transformers comic book when Simon Furman, writing for us on this shore at the same time, had Shockwave rise out of the Thames? I forget, and crush this bum who sees him rising, who shrieks "STREWTH!" as a giant hand shadow falls over him. :devil:) It's The Truth? "'s the truth!"

its an expression of surprise ie holy cow, gosh, goodness me, blooming heck :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.