It Has Been Brought to My Attention

Pain_Man

Can I jump in here and repeat some of the things Pain_man has already said? As alot of what he said is right in line with what I've been wanting to say only I didn't know the words to express myself and and say myself, he's hit the nail on the head here so I'm just going to quote him.

No problem. Thanks for the compliments you wrote as well the complement of quoting me. Plagirizing is quotation without attribution (like Doris Kearns Goodwin did in her bestseller The Fitzgeralds & the Kennedies. Stephen J. Ambrose appears to have done the same thing.

I just let my alligator mouth overload my jay-bird ass on occasion (to steal a line from Smokey & the Bandit.

I realized I'd annoyed some people and Minter confirmed it, so I felt that putting up this post. In effort, hopefully, to clear the air. Can't ever take back bad impressions, but most people don't hold it against you if you recognize where you fucked up and acknowledge it.

Being disabled and pretty much at home all the time, I don't get out much. And as much as I love my 7 yr old daughter, she is 7 and my wife isn't interested in a lot of the stuff we here on this forum are. So it's a much needed outlet.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the same since that "By Gosh" and "By Golly!" are both substitutes for "By God"--back in the days when such a mild phrase was considered as bad as "Goddamn it!" or "Jesus Christ!"

"Bloody", that fav Brit expression, is really short for "God's Blood" (i.e. the Blood of Christ) also once a seriously blasphemous thing to say. So the English shortened to "'s blood!" and, finally, "bloody" hell, etc.

It's easy to forget that once upon a time "taking the Lord's name in vain" (as my grandmother used to admonish me as a kid) used to be a serious crime. What that could get a metal spike driven through your tongue or even your tongue torn out of your mouth.

All in the name of the God of Love and the Prince of Peace. Some I how, I doubt Jesus would be down with tearing people's tongues out for mere words.

Speaking of religion = finally saw The DaVinci Code and, with the exception of Paul Bettany's awful Italian accent, I really liked it. I've got the book; now I'm going to read it.

I love the idea that Mary Magdalene was supposed to be the head of the Church and not Peter. That the whole edifice of Catholicism, or more correctly, the Catholic Church, is built upon a millennia old conspiracy to silence the truth a murder the descendents of Christ.

The whole idea is mind boggling. And Tom Hank's understated performance was quite good, imo.

Strewth = "God's truth". But way back, when it was bad to say God as a damnation, it got abbreviated.

Polo's translation is how it is used in the vernacular.

Regards

Jesus, you're right!

I was so used to seeing his Enterprise avatar that it didn't dawn on me that is was him.

Glad to have you back, Kirk.

/me looks upwards 2 posts and wonders if that is OUR Kirk ?? the Kirk who went Missing in Action at a school all those years ago :o

Are these soccer/football cheerleaders? God-damn!

Wow. NFL cheerleaders (college too) obviously need a serious wardrobe reevaluation. :shifty:

If high school cheerleaders dressed like this, there'd be a hue and cry loud enough to be heard on Mars.

Good to see you kirk :thumbup:
Edited by Pain_Man

I have a program called Babylon. Basically it's a collection of dictionaries, encyclopedias, databases, conversion engines (currency, metric->standard, etc) as well as foreign language translation.

I have an Aussie Slang dictionary installed. When I punched in "Do" (the musical note "doh" not the verb), the Aussie Slang Dict. gave me like four dozen different Aussie expressions beginning with "do" (the verb)!

I really had no idea how much slang y'all have. Australian has every right to be called a full-fledged dialect!

Play your digeridoo!

Jesus, you're right!

I was so used to seeing his Enterprise avatar that it didn't dawn on me that is was him.

Glad to have you back, Kirk.

/me looks upwards 2 posts and wonders if that is OUR Kirk ?? the Kirk who went Missing in Action at a school all those years ago :o

Thanks Pain_Man, good to be back and the enterprise will dock sometime after christmas :thumbup:

From wikipedia via Babylon:

The didgeridoo (or didjeridu) is a unique wind instrument of the Indigenous Australians of northern Australia. It is sometimes described as a natural wooden trumpet or "drone pipe". Musicologists classify it as an aerophone.

There's some weird shit on wikipedia.

I have a program called Babylon. Basically it's a collection of dictionaries, encyclopedias, databases, conversion engines (currency, metric->standard, etc) as well as foreign language translation.

I have an Aussie Slang dictionary installed. When I punched in "Do" (the musical note "doh" not the verb), the Aussie Slang Dict. gave me like four dozen different Aussie expressions beginning with "do" (the verb)!

I really had no idea how much slang y'all have. Australian has every right to be called a full-fledged dialect!

Play your digeridoo!

It's just a long pipe that the aborigines blow into that emits this bloody toneless sound.

I thought I caught my son smoking in one, once :D

Regards

did he lay there making toneless noises after drawing on it :lol:

He must be a pretty thin guy.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA =))

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you did what any good father must and check'd the quality of the material being smoked. Can't have the kid smoking cheap shit. :&

Should I catch my daughter in more than a few yrs (she just turned seven) I will feel compelled to perform the above-mentioned quality test.

It's a parental duty, man.

It's just a long pipe that the aborigines blow into that emits this bloody toneless sound.

I thought I caught my son smoking in one, once :D

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.