My new PC!

Shamus_McFartfinger

And it all comes with the throbbing power of that 16MHz 386. What a machine. What's really scary is that not much has changed. Back then it took 3 seconds or so to load up a picture viewer and display a .gif file or whatever. These days it still takes 3 seconds to load up a viewer and display a picture. :blink:

=))=))=))=))=))=))=))=))

The ironic part of the cost of Shamus "new" PC (OS/2? Jay-sus) is, figuring in inflation, it's probably closer to $4000 in today's money rather than $2500.

A 386 from Radio Shack. Just priceless. My first wife, in 1994, got a 486DX 33MHz lattop. Being the cheap bastard her "daddu" With Prodigy.

I remember when I got my first XT clone in 10th grade (1986).

It had a 20MB hdd. Then we got a second 20MB hdd. We were stylin'!!. The school computer lab had nothing to match it (and it was one of the best in the district and our high school was, then at least, one of the best in the nation. All kinds of national awards and other shit I could have cared less about.)

And I was badass because no one else had a hdd, let alone a 20MB.

And that price! Isn't that, ah, priceless?

My new machine that's coming soon cost, without tax, $2700.

The ironic thing is that my second computer, I had a long drought in between, that I bought in 1997 (a Pentium 200 MMX, 64MB EDO RAM, CD-ROM, 2MB Trident (they even still in business??) video card, etc.

It also cost $2700.

And this machine of Shamus costs almost the same thing. Looks like the price, for the Top o' the Line, has roughtly stayed the same. Thank God the technologies improved.

Again, Shamus, where do you find this stuff?!?

Yes!

My Commodore 64! Like you said, TV for the monitor. And a cassette deck to record data. I don't remember having to load anything to get to fire up, the OS--if it could be called that.

I learned how to type on that thing. I wish I still had it. Wonder what the RAM on it was? 640K?

And a whopping 32 bits, too!

Man... I can remember working on things like the TRS-80 and those Texas Instruments and Commodore 64 ones that connected to the RF on the TV.

Using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer on my P4HT 2.8GHz with 1.5GB 333MHz RAM with a quad-piped 800MHz FSB; an ATI 9550 256MB AGP 8x connected via DVI-D cable to my 225BW 22in Samsung Monitor,

The time to display a JPEG 362KB in size, by stopwatch was...

00:02.16 seconds!

So, in what, 15 years, we've shaved off a stunning .84 seconds! :huh:

And it all comes with the throbbing power of that 16MHz 386. What a machine. What's really scary is that not much has changed. Back then it took 3 seconds or so to load up a picture viewer and display a .gif file or whatever. These days it still takes 3 seconds to load up a viewer and display a picture. :blink:

=))=))=))=))=))=))=))=))

The ironic part of the cost of Shamus "new" PC (OS/2? Jay-sus) is, figuring in inflation, it's probably closer to $4000 in today's money rather than $2500.

Computer gear is shitloads cheaper these days, huh? Just look what you can get for $2500 these days. My first computer (an Amiga 500) had a single floppy drive, no harddrive, 512k RAM, an RF modulator so you could use it with a telly and 4 floppies of crappy software all for the bargain price of around $1300. The CD-ROM I ended up buying for it later (an Amiga A570 for the curious - which I still have) was almost a thousand dollars. A half meg RAM upgrade - $300. Second floppy drive - $250. Great games machine though. :)

<snippo>

It also cost $2700.

And this machine of Shamus costs almost the same thing. Looks like the price, for the Top o' the Line, has roughtly stayed the same. Thank God the technologies improved.

You say that but........ has it really improved that much? The floppy drive has been around in one form or another for 40 years and we still can't do without them. The capacity of HDs has increased but we're still using the same technology as 20 years ago. Also, the way in which your average PC works is still the same. By that I mean that everything is still chucked at the CPU for processing. The Amiga was different. It allocated specific tasks to specific chips before sending the output to the CPU. (I can't believe it's been 15 years since they went bust). *sigh*
Again, Shamus, where do you find this stuff?!?

:) I found this on FARK. A favourite site of mine. I also find interesting stuff on "TheOnion" and the "Landover Baptists" sites. Whitehouse.org is another goody.

My first computer (an Amiga 500) ... Great games machine though. :)

I'll second that, excellent games. Had one head to head battle game where you could chop the opponents head off with mucho blood gushing about, can't remember the name :hippy: , but good times were had by all :lol:

I also find interesting stuff on "TheOnion"

One of my fav's :thumbup:=))

Team 17 and quite hard @ later levels.

Gotta shit load of games for it somewhere, My amiga lives in the loft along with the other gadgets that used to be more loved.

I tried putting the wife in there as well but she is too fucking fat to fit through loft cover

Edited by dontasciime

Team 17 and quite hard @ later levels.

Gotta shit load of games for it somewhere, My amiga lives in the loft along with the other gadgets that used to be more loved.

Team 17 and Psygnosis has some brilliant games. Lemmings, Agony (Cannon Fodder?).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.